Maz and his pre-rub variations

Tripredacus

Some things you already knew, and maybe some you didn't!

http://tfsource.com/blog/early-days-of-us-g1/

As readers may already be aware, the first Transformers toys were a transition product the took existing Takara products and repurposed them for sale under the Transformers brand. There are many instances of this happening which have led to the more hard-core collectors searching for the many variants.

Some of these you might know already, such as:

- Optimus Prime's metal plates, fat and regular weapons, multi-colored rollers.

- Gray border separation between box art and window in G1 boxes.

- Rub-signs added to 1984 TFs and released in 1985.

- Diaclone stickers on Prowl

But did you know about Windcharger's assembly issue or the Optimus Prime "error" box? I didn't.

It is interesting to see how Hasbro moved into mass marketing of the Transformers brand by correcting things along the way. That's why we have seen changes in the toys moldings. Why else would making the F15 wing molds safer be such a big deal? Why else would fixing packaging errors? Its because Transformers was such a huge hit. Hasbro wasn't a fool then, they know that they would face more scrutiny after fielding what became an enourmously powerful brand. Heh, good thing we had no internet back then! Imagine if it was and we were as crazy about Transformers then as now. That radar dish would make multiple topics so much that the mods would get angry when a new one showed up!

What kind of early variations do you have in your collection?

To keep with this trend, I am thinking of the multiple mold variation of Brawn's faceplate, which sadly isn't covered in this article. On top of that, I don't have any pictures! Its hard to see unless you have a couple of them yourself, but here are some entries on Shmax:

Brawn Type 1: http://www.shmax.com/part_details/759/brawn

Brawn Type 2: http://www.shmax.com/part_details/19278/brawn

Brawn Type 3: http://www.shmax.com/part_details/19276/brawn

I've got two of them, and have a lead on the third. Type 2 is called "Removable Faceplate" but I couldn't think of how its removable. In any case, it isn't attached to the "head" of Brawn, which is probably why it got that name. The Brawn toy was originally a Microman toy, so I may be getting ahead of myself on this one.

As far as the "show" part of this idea. I only have 1 pre-rub variation with photos that I can think of. Again, this isn't exactly in the scope of the article, as it is not a US release toy. Anyways, enjoy these old photos of the French red-foot Optimus Prime, which I do believe I bought from someone in the End Cap many years ago!

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

Hey Trip,

I think you may have bought that Redfoot from me, it looks very familiar! :)

Also, it isn't a pre-rub toy, it was manufactured in France in late 1985/early 1986 and sold throughout the UK and Ireland as well in Argos chains. As well as Europe of course..

All the best

Maz

That is possible, I can't find the record at the moment. Anyways, I wasn't sure if it counted as a pre-rub or not because it doesn't have a rub-sign. But I guess to be technically correct, it can't be a pre-rub if there was never one sold with a rubsign. :tfgrin

That is possible, I can't find the record at the moment. Anyways, I wasn't sure if it counted as a pre-rub or not because it doesn't have a rub-sign. But I guess to be technically correct, it can't be a pre-rub if there was never one sold with a rubsign. :tfgrin

Most of them do have rubsigns though, here's a lovely unused one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220900039638?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1809wt_1396

All the best

Maz

I love that sensation of discovering or sharing some great discoveries with fellow fan's like this.

You have much to learn about transformers variations... many more discoveries await!

This reminds me of one I never solved. I bought a big box of tf parts at a botcon many years ago, inwhich had pieces to Perceptor. I had the front of the main body, but instead of plastic it was die-cast.

I have a microman perceptor and the TF version, but neither have die-cast. Anyone else have a diecast torso Perceptor? The box and the weapons for my Microman Black Perceptor are KO, but the body is Takara, maybe it's KO after all.

I tried to use it with a normal perceptor but it would not line up with the peg holes. I don't think I have the piece anymore.

Perceptor should have some die-cast parts, but the peice you speak of, do you mean the silver (or gold) part with the window that covers the chest?

No the black front part of the body, the silver slide holder piece folds up on top of it.

Archived