Power Core Combiners: A look back...

Dr Traveler

Oh, and with regard to playability, my son came up to me the other day. He had Icepick outfitted with the Dinobot drones, and pegged to it were minicons both new and old as well as some Mech Tech weapons. He told me this was the rig that was finally going to take Megatron down, and I believe it did. So when it comes to playability Hasbro did something right there.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well it is a shame that there are some many other things that need my financial attention right now...cos I'd really like to do one more toy splurge for PCC Dino-bots that you can get a 2pack with. I never interest in any of the other PCC figures 5 pack nor 2 pack. But dino-bot made sense; all the bots matched in color and theme, robot dino-pets for the main transforming dino-bot is plausible. Over all the final combined bot looks to be the best from the lot. So yeah I will most likely miss out on the black friday sale at Wal mart but I'm happy with what I do have :)

Powercore had potential that wasn't tapped into. Auto-transforming drones was one bad idea, with some of them having springs that pushed the drone off the peg constantly or needing manual transformation to be pegged on.

The leg drones sometimes had a horrible time staying in place once connected, like the plane drone for the Arielbot set and the repaint of that drone for the Stakeout set. Horrible QC with the drones for sure.

The good points of the line were ones like Smolder and Huffer who were great, Leadfoot wasn't bad while Heavytread was excellent. The rallybot set could have been better, the Constructicon set was great as well as the Grimstone set even though Grimstone's right arm has a habit of popping off with the lightest touch. Stakeout is a great repaint of Smolder and worth getting, same with Crankcase. Skyhammer was excellent and is worth getting.

I haven't ahd any luck in finding Undertow, still looking for him. Icepick is great, Sledge is so-so, the same with Searchlight. Bombshock would have been better if his drones stayed on the pegs in combined mode, Skyburst left a lot to be desired, Doubleclutch would have been a lot better if he wasn't so fragile.

So a nice amount of the Powercore line was pretty good and worth getting, while some was disappointing to say the least. If they had left the drones as a manual transformation form like Energon Optimus Prime had then the line may have been a lot better, as well as much better QC.

Smolder, Stakeout - without the drones, Huffer, Grimstone, Icepick, Skyhammer, Steamhammer with the drones, Crankcase and Leadfoot are worthy of being in anyone's collection, they are the best of the Powercore line.

Scored Spastic w/ Stunticons and Skyhammer over the holiday weekend. Now if I can find Heavytread that'll be pretty much everything I wanted from this line. I saw Salvage and realized I only disliked Mudslinger because of that hideous green they slapped on him. I didn't pick Salvage up, but I plan to some time.

I think most of us agree on the fact the line had great potential. Nice leaders, lame drones.

Hasbro always manages to find a way to miss the obvious, or simply not care. In this case, fans have given Hasbro more than enough input over the years about combiners. They've also seen customs to know what can be done.

So why, oh why, do they keep coming up with crap for limbs when they know damn well how important it is to fans to actually IMPROVE on previous combiner designs? The world may never know.

The worst thing to me is that they really weren't all that far off. They simply needed to look like decent arms and legs. With no robot modes there's really no reason why the limbs couldn't have had better detail and articulation. Is there not one person at Hasbro who could have looked at the combined modes and said "dude that really, really sucks!"

More like someone just saying, "screw it, good enough!"

If the limbs worked more like Energon Optimus's did, then I would have been much happier. The 3rd party limbs look great, I just hope there's more to come.

I say the line is good for collecting the commanders and some can even be combined if mixed and matched with the right drones. As a whole though, a pretty big disappointment. I'm picking up the last couple, will open them and check them out a bit then it's right into the box with the rest of them until some better limbs for them come around.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the minicons, these were some of the best minicons ever. I like the idea of them being a more jack-of-all-trades type of targetmaster that can enhance both the robot mode(s) and the vehicle mode of the commander. Tiny little vehicles that are out of scale with everything and have no real theme with the paired figure is just stupid.

This.

My bad two cents:

These things were just ugly and terrible. Combined mode could have been somewhat salvageable if Hasbro could've figured out a way to give them articulation (take out the springloaded-ness or something). That and some joints/drone mixes were super weak. Some of them you just look at them and they fall off.

Archived