Soundwave's voice effect?

notpicard

Does anyone know what the technical details are on Soundwave's voice? I downloaded the trail version of Adobe Audition and it has tons of things you can do to an audio file to make it sound robotic. Most of that can easily be done using the flange effect. But I only have 30 days to play with it.

Soundwave's voice was notably more enhanced than other voices. And I would love to know how to get Soundwave's voice down. There were a couple of parts of the cartoon where they did not do any vocal effects to the voice and he sounded just like Welker's Dr. Claw voice from Inspector Gadget. Since the Soundwave voice generally sounds higher than that, I am guessing that part of what was done was to remove some of the low sounds of the voice.

Does anyone have any idea what to do to achieve this?

Yes, I would love to know the "Official" way they did it. I think a lot of people have been wanting to know that for a LONG time.

:tfhuh

Sure sounds like a vocoder, and, given the time the show was produced, it's highly unlikely that they would have done anything particularly special and costly to come up with a cool voice. The effects they used are almost assuredly analog, which might be somewhat difficult to replicate with digital tech today.

The effects they used are almost assuredly analog, which might be somewhat difficult to replicate with digital tech today.

Not as difficult as you might think. ;) --> Orange Vocoder

I've used this myself. It's pretty kickass.

Very cool looking. The last bit of audio production type software that I've used, though, is Rebirth. So, it's kind of been a while...

Here's a little info:

http://xforums.net/ib/index.php?showtopic=...=0entry566133

Next time Frank Welker is at a con, someone should ask him. ;)

"Run the mic through a condenser."

:lol

Just to clarify, a "condenser" is a microphone (actually a type of microphone, to be more specific). Perhaps he meant compressor. Even then, however, you're not going to get the Soundwave effect. A compressor just squashes the dynamics of an audio track, making the quietest bits louder and the loudest bits quieter. It doesn't do anything funky like what happened with Soundwave's voice.

I really think they used a Vocoder, personally. I don't see any other way it could have been done. Some people have said it's hard to replicate the effect using a Vocoder, but there are a couple of things they did with Soundwave that gave him his unique vocal quality. First of all, they had Welker speak in that "Dr. Claw" voice, which effectively removed most normal human vocal dynamics from the voice track (making it easier to synthesize). Then they used these funky tri-tone chord combinations which they changed after every phrase or sentence, to give Soundwave that ...well, not exactly "sing-song" quality, but you know what I mean. (Normally with a Vocoder, one would use a single tone, and keep it more or less constant.)

Hmm.... this makes me want to do some vocal experimentation.

Archived