How do you collect Transformers?

Goktimus Prime

Collecting Transformers  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you generally collect Transformers?

• I get them while they're currently in production/on sale
    • I get them after they're no longer in production/on sale

I seem to recall that your poll was missing a choice... That may end up showing different results. As far as ebay goes, while I do buy TFs on there, its not nearly as much as I used to. Partly because everything is more expensive on there now! But one thing is for sure, I won't touch any TF on ebay that is currently in stores, unless it is a foreign release. The exception to this was the DoTM reversed Laserbeak, but for obvious reasons. I'll probably end up getting the two Crankcase variations on eBay sooner or later.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've passed on the Generations figures and now I'm kinda regretting it now. Priorities & responsibilities coupled with no big desire to collect them at that time were the main reasons why. Now, seeing them on shelves. I've been itching to collect them and a lot of it has to do with me being a child of G1. Even though my desire to have them has changed my priorities/responsibilities hasn't.

EDIT: I think this is what happens to many of us. Where at the moment the means can't support the desire. Thus forcing us to get them later when we do have the means. The down side to that is we end up paying for it.

I tend to buy more current stuff, but that's just because it's more readily available. I'm also rebuilding a G1 collection I had as a kid that mysteriously vanished in an interstate move when I was 11, as well as picking up the odd G1 I wanted as a kid but never had.

If everyone could be perfect and plan for everything there'd still be a robust secondary market because there will always be people just came along too late or, as said above, didn't have the finances to match the plan.

For me, Universe Sunstreaker is a good example. I liked him alot, but there were other figures out at the time I wanted more. Besides, Sunstreaker was always on the shelf...until he wasn't. I misjudged how big my window of opportunity was to acquire him. Now I'll eventally end up paying for that mistake, unless he gets reissued down the line.

RTS Bumblebee saved me a ton by not having to buy a Classics version. Here's hoping they reissue Cliffjumper too.

And yeah, this poll really needs a "both" option.

And as generous as my wife is already I don't and wouldn't lie to her over something as silly as toys.

I collect both, though I usually buy it at release with the older stuff bought to fill in gaps that wasn't bought at release. I also buy artifacts/licensed stuff, books/comics, media, well stuff with the logo.

I'm just a dedicated fan who buys a lot of TF stuff ok?

I collect both, though I usually buy it at release with the older stuff bought to fill in gaps that wasn't bought at release. I also buy artifacts/licensed stuff, books/comics, media, well stuff with the logo.

I'm just a dedicated fan who buys a lot of TF stuff ok?

Its our lot in life. :tfgrin

Buying at Retail sometimes helps save money in the long run. As some figures actually go down in price on the secondary market. Also there is more then eBay on the secondary market. I have started using Amazon a lot now to get past figures which has been saving me money also. So I can buy more.

Usually what I do is I decide ahead of time which figures I want, go and buy them while also looking at the figures I decided not to buy. Just to see if I would change my mind. And if I do then I buy the figure. Then about a year after the final figure came out. I will go back to that line and see if there were any figures I want that I passed up before, which usually comes to about 5 or 6 figures.

I find that, that works for me

i totally understand beast wars importance...ive researched and read alot of stuff about it....it just never appealed to me....if you like it.....great....that doesnt mean i have to....i do acknowlege its important though.......i get several of your points as well goki....i just look at it like this...if you want something bad enough...and you have the money for it....buy it....

agree 100%!

I understand the beast wars - but wouldn't own OR display a single BW toy at all. Have absolutely "NO" desire or attraction to them whatsoever. I would give ethe toy away.

I did collect mostly "in production" toys within the series I collected - however, I have picked up a G1 to finish out my collection. For example - i have a G1 original swoop that is in 'excellent' condition - but I am still searching for antoher one, as I like to display them in both modes.

And to the other issue - I have "NO" desire to play with the toys. I paid $1600 for 2 large display cases/curios and prefer to admire them, instead of play with them. I get much more gratification and pleasure out of admiring them. That's one of the reason I often have 2 of them, so I can see them in both modes. I don't feel the need to have to transform/play with them. I know mentally how they transform and prefer to enjoy their engineering and what they represent and how they look. It's like artwork - not everything has to be 'played with' to have value. On top of that, they will last longer, stay in better shape, and retain more of their value. If i'm going to 'play' with something - it's going to be my wife or gf or both.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I live in Lansing MI, and it usually seems that the local stores in the area simply do not stock many assortments of Transformers, so 90% of the time I'll have to wait until the figures I actually want are no longer in production and pay twice as much for them on ebay or Amazon, or get the Japanese versions from online retailer's and pay 3x as much as the ones that should have been at my local TRU months ago! To this day I am still looking for a Universe Wheelie, Brawn, Cosmos, and Beachcomber.

Archived