Moral question...

Devil Mazinkaiser

.................................Dude!

She should pay half.Nuff said!

No wait!Dude I have 3 kids ages 3,7 and 10yrs old.They dont go in my Tfroom unless I say they can.Hell my kids can be left alone to watch netflix and not touch anything.........

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.................................Dude!

She should pay half.Nuff said!

No wait!Dude I have 3 kids ages 3,7 and 10yrs old.They dont go in my Tfroom unless I say they can.Hell my kids can be left alone to watch netflix and not touch anything.........

Well, here is the resolution to this issue...

IMG_20111019_214643.jpg

My wife's friend picked up the tab for MP-10 from bbts.com!

It's a good compromise... she doesn't have to pay full replacement, and I get something that I really wanted but couldn't afford.

Thanks again for all of your advice! :)

It's a solid figure... I was able to pose him up a few times and mess with the trailer, roller, and spike and I like what I have seen so far. It's proportions are nice, and pictures don't really do it any justice.

I'll transform him for the first time tonight and let you know more!

From what I've heard it's a nice toy but not worth the asking price. Ditto the upcoming MP Starscream too... the MPs are getting smaller and dearer... but the biggest turn off for me is the complete LACK of new characters. I already have a MP Optimus Prime (well, Convoy) and 2 different versions of MP Starscream (Takara and Hasbro). I really don't need any more - so both of these MPs will be easy passes for me. I really don't know why they're not developing more new characters for the MP line -- at least retool the existing MP Starscream mould and give us MP Ramjet, Dirge and Thrust.

It's a solid figure... I was able to pose him up a few times and mess with the trailer, roller, and spike and I like what I have seen so far. It's proportions are nice, and pictures don't really do it any justice.

I'll transform him for the first time tonight and let you know more!

Still just going to wait for the clearance sale on BBTS or the inevitable TRU or Walmart exclusive

Mmm... unfortunately, the social implication of inviting people over is that people may wander, and accidents may happen. It's traditionally up to the host to make sure that expensive/breakable items are secured to their display area, or behind glass/panelling, or out of reach, or that the door to the room is secured, or that they have home contents insurance sufficient to cover potential damages, etc.

A $20 door lock could have prevented this. Heck, a $5 latch at the top of the doorframe could have done it. Anything that prevents the door being casually opened.

From a collector's perspective, you're right that it's her fault. However, from a cultural perspective, you're pretty much expected to take it on the chin and maintain that friendly social relations are more important than material knick-knacks... even horribly expensive ones.

And get a lock.

I think that you are taking a very interesting position on this.

In a way, I somewhat agree with you. However, if the situation was reversed then I would feel compelled to compensate the person whose property I had damaged.

My perspective is that this person was a guest in my home. Due to her actions, and her actions alone, something that I owned was damaged beyond repair. Whether the door was locked or not, she should have handled herself appropriately when moving throughout my home, regardless of which room that she was in at the time of the incident.

If she knocked over my $1000 television in the living room, or dropped my $800 iPad in the kitchen.. what then? Would your opinions change about her negligence in that situation, along with her duty to respond? Or should I simply shrug my shoulders and write off any damage from guests as nothing more than collateral damage?

My conscience wouldn't allow me to simply walk away from someone that my actions harmed, and fortunately this friend of ours felt the same way in this particular case.

I think that you are taking a very interesting position on this.

In a way, I somewhat agree with you. However, if the situation was reversed then I would feel compelled to compensate the person whose property I had damaged.

My perspective is that this person was a guest in my home. Due to her actions, and her actions alone, something that I owned was damaged beyond repair. Whether the door was locked or not, she should have handled herself appropriately when moving throughout my home, regardless of which room that she was in at the time of the incident.

If she knocked over my $1000 television in the living room, or dropped my $800 iPad in the kitchen.. what then? Would your opinions change about her negligence in that situation, along with her duty to respond? Or should I simply shrug my shoulders and write off any damage from guests as nothing more than collateral damage?

My conscience wouldn't allow me to simply walk away from someone that my actions harmed, and fortunately this friend of ours felt the same way in this particular case.

Holy crap on a hat... it sounds like you have a sense of RESPONSIBILITY!! :D :)

The person broke it by mistake - fine - we all make mistakes. A responsible person tries to fix their mistakes... an irresponsible person runs away from their obligation. Legally she may not be liable - I don't know - but I think it's the honourable thing to do to recompense someone if you damage their property. It's the simple, "I'm so sorry, let me pay for that." -- even if you can't afford to pay for it up front, at least talk about it and work something out.

So after reading your replies, (thank you!) I believe that I have come to a decision...

She has since offered (by text) to reimburse me for the item, so I plan on working out a deal with her. Instead of demanding full replacement value, ($400+) I plan on making a compromise by asking her to front the cost of a new MP-10 Prime from bbts. ($250)

Although my wife says that I shouldn't purchase anything other than a new replacement Mazinkaiser... ugh, my head hurts. :(

I think the fact that she offered to help compensate replacement is a good sign. Sounds like you're on the road to a reasonable resolution.

Again, I'm going to stress that when you have guests in the household, and there are items that are fragile/valuable, they need to be in lock and key.

Always

Always

Always

If you leave a room unlocked and someone happens to wander in, it's as much your fault as theirs if something happens. Their fault for being there, but your fault for leaving it exposed. You can agree with me or not, but if I have anything of value that I think will be at any risk, you bet your sweet ass I'm going to safeguard it no matter the circumstance.

This post reminds me of the time Homer said "It takes two people to lie. One to lie and one to listen."

Regardless, it sounds like an equitable solution was reached. I think the woman in question got off a little easy but so long as everyone is happy who am I to judge?

Archived