Moral question...

Devil Mazinkaiser

If she is an actual friend then no. Friends are more important than $400. Plain and simple bro. If the friendship is worth risking over an expensive toy then go at it. But if you really, truly are friends then an accident is an accident. That's it.

Now does a true friend offer to replace it if able? I think so. But a true friend also doesn't hound a friend about it.

Your totally entitled to ask for a replacement, and If they can't provide, you would be entitled to ask for the cost of a replacement. You would be doing absolutely nothing wrong in asserting your right to just compensation.

However...

Asking for that kind of money for any accident, from a friend, is likely to affect your friendship, and that's just the asking. Should you collect I can only imagine it would only be worse.

What should happen, is that the offending party should OFFER toi pay for their accident. Taking responsibility. The Dorky nature or your loss does not disenfranchise you. Unfortunately, your deserving of recompense leaves you in a the unenviable position of asking for what you deserve, but destabilizing the relationship the situation arose from.

So to recap, you're totally in the right, but you're mostly @%$!ed.Unless your friends make an ernest attempt to live up to their title as such.

And if that friend is your wife's friend and not really yours, then that could lead to a whole other world of hurt.

If thats the case then fuck 'em. My feelings wouldn't be hurt and my wife would understand why I wanted to be compensated. Also that chick was someplace she didn't need to be in the first place. So in this instance this friend is actually a friend of your wife's and therefor not really your friend. Like I said, fuck 'em.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if you let your friend drive your car, and they caused $400 worth of damage to it? I don't think it would be at all inappropriate to ask that friend to pay for the damage inflicted.

It's all about mutual respect. And yeah, usually friends OFFER anyway, case in point:

+ A friend of mine once accidentally broke my Japanese BW Tigatron. He apologised and offered to get me another one (I gave him the broken one :P)

+ Another guy once accidentally snapped the mutant mask/head off my Japanese BW Ultra Megatron. He offered to buy me Armada Megatron when he came out - and sure enough he did.

On the other hand:

+ I once accidentally scratched a TINY bit of paint off another guy's Super Speedbreaker. He demanded compensation because it was a Japanese exclusive toy (RiD wasn't out then). I offered to pay for paint to restore it, he refused. He was pretty demanding and in the end I gave him a spare loose G1 Sixshot which satisfied him... but still, I think the demanding tone was poor form -- and a G1 Sixshot (with guns) in exchange for a FLECK of paint?? Talk about overkill... (just as well I got that spare Sixshot for free) - but anyway, I compensated him for the damage (even if it was a bit much)

+ One guy TOOK my original G1 Megatron back home with him by accident -- and he kept this toy for over a year despite me constantly hounding him to send it back to me (he lived in a different state/territory). While the toy was in his possession he BROKE it. Then when news came out that Takara was going to reissue this toy, I told him that I wanted him to buy me the reissue - yes, I was being demanding, but after he had this toy for over a year and broken it (which would never have happened if he'd promptly returned it when I asked him too) -- I was just sick and tired of his BS. And he still REFUSED to get me a reissue. After much arguing with him we agreed that he could pay for HALF the cost of my reissue... and return my G1 Megatron. Which he did, and there was a lot more damage to to than he'd reported. :(

...I don't talk to either of those people anymore.

If she's a close friend, simply state that "i'd like for you to pay for a replacement, but you're too good a friend to make do that"... and if they are a true friend, they SHOULD work something out.

If she's not close to you, then ask to be reimbursed. If she says no, then say "ok, don't ever go in that room again while you're at my house".

If she's a close friend, simply state that "i'd like for you to pay for a replacement, but you're too good a friend to make do that"... and if they are a true friend, they SHOULD work something out.

If she's not close to you, then ask to be reimbursed. If she says no, then say "ok, don't ever go in that room again while you're at my house".

At this point I think that "Friendship" is pretty much blown if she doesn't pay. I don't see her being invited over again.

Even if she does pay I can here her now talking to their other friends

" I can't believe "Enter name here" asked me to pay for their toy and then $500 it's just a stupid toy!"

So after reading your replies, (thank you!) I believe that I have come to a decision...

She has since offered (by text) to reimburse me for the item, so I plan on working out a deal with her. Instead of demanding full replacement value, ($400+) I plan on making a compromise by asking her to front the cost of a new MP-10 Prime from bbts. ($250)

Although my wife says that I shouldn't purchase anything other than a new replacement Mazinkaiser... ugh, my head hurts. :(

Use the $225 you get from the friend to help pay for the Mazinkaiser. then you wont be paying as much for your new MazinKaiser Last thing you want is your wife pissed off LOL

Plus if you wait MP-10 will cost less later.

So after reading your replies, (thank you!) I believe that I have come to a decision...

She has since offered (by text) to reimburse me for the item, so I plan on working out a deal with her. Instead of demanding full replacement value, ($400+) I plan on making a compromise by asking her to front the cost of a new MP-10 Prime from bbts. ($250)

Although my wife says that I shouldn't purchase anything other than a new replacement Mazinkaiser... ugh, my head hurts. :(

I think the fact that she offered to help compensate replacement is a good sign. Sounds like you're on the road to a reasonable resolution.

Again, I'm going to stress that when you have guests in the household, and there are items that are fragile/valuable, they need to be in lock and key.

Always

Always

Always

If you leave a room unlocked and someone happens to wander in, it's as much your fault as theirs if something happens. Their fault for being there, but your fault for leaving it exposed. You can agree with me or not, but if I have anything of value that I think will be at any risk, you bet your sweet ass I'm going to safeguard it no matter the circumstance.

What if you let your friend drive your car, and they caused $400 worth of damage to it? I don't think it would be at all inappropriate to ask that friend to pay for the damage inflicted.

It's all about mutual respect. And yeah, usually friends OFFER anyway, case in point:

+ A friend of mine once accidentally broke my Japanese BW Tigatron. He apologised and offered to get me another one (I gave him the broken one :P)

+ Another guy once accidentally snapped the mutant mask/head off my Japanese BW Ultra Megatron. He offered to buy me Armada Megatron when he came out - and sure enough he did.

On the other hand:

+ I once accidentally scratched a TINY bit of paint off another guy's Super Speedbreaker. He demanded compensation because it was a Japanese exclusive toy (RiD wasn't out then). I offered to pay for paint to restore it, he refused. He was pretty demanding and in the end I gave him a spare loose G1 Sixshot which satisfied him... but still, I think the demanding tone was poor form -- and a G1 Sixshot (with guns) in exchange for a FLECK of paint?? Talk about overkill... (just as well I got that spare Sixshot for free) - but anyway, I compensated him for the damage (even if it was a bit much)

+ One guy TOOK my original G1 Megatron back home with him by accident -- and he kept this toy for over a year despite me constantly hounding him to send it back to me (he lived in a different state/territory). While the toy was in his possession he BROKE it. Then when news came out that Takara was going to reissue this toy, I told him that I wanted him to buy me the reissue - yes, I was being demanding, but after he had this toy for over a year and broken it (which would never have happened if he'd promptly returned it when I asked him too) -- I was just sick and tired of his BS. And he still REFUSED to get me a reissue. After much arguing with him we agreed that he could pay for HALF the cost of my reissue... and return my G1 Megatron. Which he did, and there was a lot more damage to to than he'd reported. :(

...I don't talk to either of those people anymore.

If it was one of my friends then they'd pay no problem and if the roles were reversed I would as well. Even if I couldn't afford it I would make sure to give them what I could when I could until the debt was fulfilled.

Also I have a pretty strict rule about who drives my car. I rarely let ANYONE other then myself drive it. The only exceptions are my parents, my wife and during very long road trips where I can't stay up although all three of those exceptions rarely occur anyway.

Archived