Moral question...

Devil Mazinkaiser

I think she should pay for it. Seems like common sense to me. If I accidentally knocked over someone's vase or TV and it broke, then I'd pay for it. Maybe you can pay for a replacement first and she can pay you back in installments or whatever -- you two can arrange something, but ultimately she broke it so she should replace it. If she can get a replacement at a cheaper price, then let her do it... all you want in the end is for that toy to be replaced.

Although the SENTIMENTAL value of old childhood toys can never be replaced. :( :(

Unfortunately this falls under the category of 'kids toys' and 'you paid HOW MUCH', where the average Joe doesn't get where we'd pay Hundreds for what was, 20 or so years ago, a kids toy.

I think even the average Joe (or Jane) would understand that because the toy is no longer in production or circulation then the cost of getting in the aftermarket would be a lot more expensive than buying it current.

That's why I don't collect toys from the aftermarket - I buy them current. But once the toy that I bought when it WAS current becomes vintage, and someone breaks it now -- well, it's gonna cost the current aftermarket price to replace it. Unless they can supply me with a time machine to travel back to the 1980s/90s to the time when I first purchased the toy!

Talk to your friend about it... be open and honest -- tell her how you feel and that you're willing to negotiate some kind of recompense. Maybe you might be willing to absorb the cost of shipping if she pays for the toy or something, I dunno... but I'm sure the two of you can work something out.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't mean to messed up but if there was a giant picture of optimus from the tf movies i might accidently break stuff too.

jk...

a real friend would help to replace your collectable... time to get a lock on the door and a guard dog.

Display Case! You have a serious collection there, and a whole room devoted to the bots. Put them in a case and put a lock on the dang door.

I have been dreaming of my collection room for years, and once I get a house in the next couple months, I already planned on display cases to keep my little nephew's and nieces little hands off Uncle G's stuff.

Show the girl the posts about her clumzy self while you're at it.

As for the toy, there might be a way to take the mid section (legs + arse) apart, drill a bolt up through it, and into the torso from underneath. Having it like this might also allow movement and stability instead of a ridged glue job.

G1 Mirage is an easy fix similar to this.

Your totally entitled to ask for a replacement, and If they can't provide, you would be entitled to ask for the cost of a replacement. You would be doing absolutely nothing wrong in asserting your right to just compensation.

However...

Asking for that kind of money for any accident, from a friend, is likely to affect your friendship, and that's just the asking. Should you collect I can only imagine it would only be worse.

What should happen, is that the offending party should OFFER toi pay for their accident. Taking responsibility. The Dorky nature or your loss does not disenfranchise you. Unfortunately, your deserving of recompense leaves you in a the unenviable position of asking for what you deserve, but destabilizing the relationship the situation arose from.

So to recap, you're totally in the right, but you're mostly @%$!ed.Unless your friends make an ernest attempt to live up to their title as such.

Your totally entitled to ask for a replacement, and If they can't provide, you would be entitled to ask for the cost of a replacement. You would be doing absolutely nothing wrong in asserting your right to just compensation.

However...

Asking for that kind of money for any accident, from a friend, is likely to affect your friendship, and that's just the asking. Should you collect I can only imagine it would only be worse.

What should happen, is that the offending party should OFFER toi pay for their accident. Taking responsibility. The Dorky nature or your loss does not disenfranchise you. Unfortunately, your deserving of recompense leaves you in a the unenviable position of asking for what you deserve, but destabilizing the relationship the situation arose from.

So to recap, you're totally in the right, but you're mostly @%$!ed.Unless your friends make an ernest attempt to live up to their title as such.

And if that friend is your wife's friend and not really yours, then that could lead to a whole other world of hurt.

Display Case! You have a serious collection there, and a whole room devoted to the bots. Put them in a case and put a lock on the dang door.

I have been dreaming of my collection room for years, and once I get a house in the next couple months, I already planned on display cases to keep my little nephew's and nieces little hands off Uncle G's stuff.

Show the girl the posts about her clumzy self while you're at it.

As for the toy, there might be a way to take the mid section (legs + arse) apart, drill a bolt up through it, and into the torso from underneath. Having it like this might also allow movement and stability instead of a ridged glue job.

G1 Mirage is an easy fix similar to this.

I can see your reasoning behind stating Display case. Hell it would offer more protection and look better. But that's not the real issue here. The OP has his stuff the way he likes it. Here are the main issues I see with this situation :

1. She left the gathering on her own accord

2. She choose the Wrong room to go mess around in

3. Her Story makes no sense

The Original Op didn't tell her "Hey Go make your Phone call in My Toy Room." Just because you are a guest at someones house does not give you the automatic right to go into any room you want. You still have to respect the owners home. There were several other options she could have used to get privacy on the phone call. Go to another room or even outside.

Then there is the issue of the room. What was she doing while in there? Seeing the pics of the room makes her story look less credible. The toys and displays look like they are in the back corner of the room. And it has an open area in the middle. An open area she could have stayed in and have more then enough room to not "BUMP" into anything. Heck there is even a chair at what looks to be a desk in the room. Why didn't she sit down?

I tell you why because she lied about the situation to Cover her Ass. She went in to the room to be nosy and look at the OP's "Toys" She picked up the figure to look and blab about it. She went to put the figure back in some nonchalant way and didn't stand it up right or missed the shelf and it fell and broke.

Her bumping into it story makes no sense. From the Pics she would have to be a. dancing in the space for anything to get caught to her skirt or B. Had to be really close to the shelves where she didn't belong

What I find funny here is how people can excuse the girl so easily and start finding reasons as to why it is the Op's fault.

However...

And if that friend is your wife's friend and not really yours, then that could lead to a whole other world of hurt.

You know I always find it funny when people bring up the situation about being the spouses friend. If your spouse chooses their friends over you then I am sorry to say this but there is a bigger problem there then a "Friend" dropping your $500 - $800 figure. I have been married close to 15 years and to this day I still take my Wifes side even if she is wrong. That just comes with being married.

However...

You know I always find it funny when people bring up the situation about being the spouses friend. If your spouse chooses their friends over you then I am sorry to say this but there is a bigger problem there then a "Friend" dropping your $500 - $800 figure. I have been married close to 15 years and to this day I still take my Wifes side even if she is wrong. That just comes with being married.

if the wife was friends with her friend who dropped the toy well before the wife met him, i could easily see that as a weird situation.

Make her pay. If she's not willing to own up to her mistake, then she's not a friend. Like someone else said, the dorky nature of your hobby doesn't disenfranchise you. If someone or their kids broke a TV, unless they're pieces of shit, damn straight they'd pay for it. While I don't think people consider toys the same way, it's the cost of replacement that matters more than what it is.

Archived