Moral question...

Devil Mazinkaiser

So my wife and I had some friends over to our house last night, and through a series of unfortunate events one of our friends ended up in my "transformers room". Basically, she walked away from the rest of us to take a phone call, and that's when I heard a loud crash in the other room.

I walked in after her, and there it was - my Max Factory Mazinkaiser, broken right at the waist. She said that she backed into the shelf, and her shirt got caught on the wing and it came down on the floor. I tried to salvage it, but it broke in the perfect spot where it couldn't be fixed.

So I go online to check for a replacement, and I was surprised to see that the prices range between $400 and $800. I originally bought it new for around $200 several years ago from BBTS.com.

Obviously, it was an accident... and she was extremely apologetic, because she knew that this was a very expensive (and one of my favorite) pieces. <_< *looks at screen name...

My question is, what now? Should I just shrug my shoulders and move on, or should I expect her to fork over $400+ to replace it? I'm kind of torn about it... and I am angry as hell that one of my favorite pieces is broken beyond repair... but can I really expect a friend to be responsible for that kind of money?

Thanks in advance for your advice...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I can see what you mean and her being sorry for the Actions. But I would make her PAY.

And before I get attacked this is why:

1. She was in a room where she didn't belong.

2. I am sure there are other places she could have made her phone call.

Why was she in that room specifically to begin with? Is the room that small that she would easily bump into things? Or is she that big that she didn't fit in there correctly? If any one of those is yes then why go in there? Why place your self in that situation? Did you tell her Hey go make your phone call in my toy room?

It may have just been that she was just being nosy and was blabbing on the phone to her caller what stuff you have. Either way make her pay. If you were to break an $800 item in her House I am sure you would pay for it. Or hey go to her house and break her $800 tv and say sorry it was a mistake.

In the end she should have gone into a different room or even outside to make her phone call. Her mistake make her pay for it.

Can you post picts of the piece in question?

If it were me, I'd rig it until I found a worn bot with that section in tact and swap parts.

Unfortunately this falls under the category of 'kids toys' and 'you paid HOW MUCH', where the average Joe doesn't get where we'd pay Hundreds for what was, 20 or so years ago, a kids toy.

I would also like to point out that, if you are in the relationship that I am where your signifigant other doesn't fully get the whole toy thing, this would be a great time to invest in some better shelving or display cases so that such a thing doesn't happen again.

At least only 1 item (and I don't know why I am drawing a blank on the name of the item) imaging you're out and about and the sister in law, or neighbor + KIDS comes to visit. One thing leads to another and you come home to find the little buggers sitting in your room, bots torn apart like the last great war of Cybertron.

Lock that stuff up!

Update: I looked up your bot, cool stuff. How is it broken? There might be a way to rig it. Odds are you might be able to buy a newer loose one and sell the broken one as parts. Something like that could also be a really interesting customizing opportunity, use that as the body to repaint or retool and replace the original.

I just checked Ebay, I don't see any loose lots of these, but you never know, there might be a way to repair the damaged part of rig it. Since it's not a transformer, there's a lot more possibility for repair and hiding it.

Little story about one of my collection blunders. When I moved back home with my folks, I put my Diaclone Fortress X out on display. In haste I had piles of my junk all over and was not a nice neat dwelling that I was used to. I accidentially knocked over my display shelf and X hit ght ground, snapping the corner of his shoulder off in 2 big pieces. It used to be a near mint in/with box Diaclone, one of the most expensive pieces I had ever purchsed, and I just smashed it. I glued the pieces back together and thought maybe I'll swap parts some day.

8 years later, last fall, I happend upon a junker X at a local toy show. Gladly forked over the meager sum for the junk bot and took it home, sifted through my storage area to locate the boxed treasure (took hours) and then swapped parts. I even documented the event with some picts (dang chest pieces for X are HEAVY die-cast, it's awesome).

So those are your options

1 Rig and replace damaged parts later

2 Replace whole thing now

3 Customize and buy a new one

4 Display cases!!!!

You might be able to place some blame on her for wandering around the house to take a private call. However, that expensive of a piece should have been somewhere less accessible or else the room locked up. To go after the guest for a pure accident such as that would be bad form IMO. It's just an unfortunate circumstance and an expensive lesson. If she offers some compensation, then I would accept it. But I wouldn't demand compensation. In the future, you might want to make sure your figures of value are either less accessible or more secure.

Well, I guess it helps to add that it's just my wife and I in the house, and we don't have any kids. So it's typically a safe environment for my collection.

The room is pretty large, actually - 12 by 15 - and it's pretty full. She walked in to the room on her own to take her call, and I suppose that she could have walked into another bedroom or a bathroom instead.

Here is a pic of the broken figure:

IMG_20111008_133242.jpg

There is a fixed tab that is supposed to be attached at the waist and legs, and the upper body closes around it. The problem with supergluing it back is that the upper body is die cast, which makes it top heavy and too much for the broken tab to support.

Here is the room:

IMG_20110817_185839.jpg

IMG_20110817_183105.jpg

i would chalk that up to to her...i for one would make her pay for it...or at least partially pay for it...she had no business to go in your man cave like that...yeah its a case of being in the wrong place and that wrong time...but i dont just go to my friends houses and wander around the house while im on the phone...that was bad form on her part.......ive actually had something similiar happen to me....back when Galaxy Force just came out....i ordered a Galaxy Convoy from somewhere or the other and he ending up running me close to 250 bucks.....well i was living with one of my buddies at the time...and i wasnt home...i came home and went to drop my stuff in my room...there was his son...on the floor with my MISB Galaxy Convoy and a sharpie marker.....doodling all over the front of the box....damn straight i made him pay for it....the whole 250 bucks...ordered me a new one right then and there....

does your wife understand how much you pay for some of these and the collector market in general?! this might be a good time to introduce her to ebay and how much some of these pieces cost? My girlfriend knows how much some of the more expensive pieces in my collection cost and she doesn't want to touch anything for fear of breaking anything. Obviously, if she broke something, i wouldn't be as upset since i'd be there. If your wife understands the cost of this stuff, rarity, and the fact that you import items that aren't normally available in the states, she could easily bring it up to (i'm assuming) her friend who broke it and try to guilt trip her into paying for some of it.

Like someone else mentioned, new shelving. Ikea Detolfs are great for keeping unwanted hands off of items. I have a post regarding those in the collector corner. I'm out on the road or i would take a picture of the pair i have that keep all my g1 cars, combiners, cities, and Overlord safe from unwanted touching and animals.

Detolf

2nd. buy a lock for that door.

Can you post picts of the piece in question?

If it were me, I'd rig it until I found a worn bot with that section in tact and swap parts.

Unfortunately this falls under the category of 'kids toys' and 'you paid HOW MUCH', where the average Joe doesn't get where we'd pay Hundreds for what was, 20 or so years ago, a kids toy.

I would also like to point out that, if you are in the relationship that I am where your signifigant other doesn't fully get the whole toy thing, this would be a great time to invest in some better shelving or display cases so that such a thing doesn't happen again.

At least only 1 item (and I don't know why I am drawing a blank on the name of the item) imaging you're out and about and the sister in law, or neighbor + KIDS comes to visit. One thing leads to another and you come home to find the little buggers sitting in your room, bots torn apart like the last great war of Cybertron.

Lock that stuff up!

Update: I looked up your bot, cool stuff. How is it broken? There might be a way to rig it. Odds are you might be able to buy a newer loose one and sell the broken one as parts. Something like that could also be a really interesting customizing opportunity, use that as the body to repaint or retool and replace the original.

I just checked Ebay, I don't see any loose lots of these, but you never know, there might be a way to repair the damaged part of rig it. Since it's not a transformer, there's a lot more possibility for repair and hiding it.

Little story about one of my collection blunders. When I moved back home with my folks, I put my Diaclone Fortress X out on display. In haste I had piles of my junk all over and was not a nice neat dwelling that I was used to. I accidentially knocked over my display shelf and X hit ght ground, snapping the corner of his shoulder off in 2 big pieces. It used to be a near mint in/with box Diaclone, one of the most expensive pieces I had ever purchsed, and I just smashed it. I glued the pieces back together and thought maybe I'll swap parts some day.

8 years later, last fall, I happend upon a junker X at a local toy show. Gladly forked over the meager sum for the junk bot and took it home, sifted through my storage area to locate the boxed treasure (took hours) and then swapped parts. I even documented the event with some picts (dang chest pieces for X are HEAVY die-cast, it's awesome).

So those are your options

1 Rig and replace damaged parts later

2 Replace whole thing now

3 Customize and buy a new one

4 Display cases!!!!

You might be able to place some blame on her for wandering around the house to take a private call. However, that expensive of a piece should have been somewhere less accessible or else the room locked up. To go after the guest for a pure accident such as that would be bad form IMO. It's just an unfortunate circumstance and an expensive lesson. If she offers some compensation, then I would accept it. But I wouldn't demand compensation. In the future, you might want to make sure your figures of value are either less accessible or more secure.

Ok I disagree with both of you. She had no reason to be in his room period. Not knowing is not an acceptable excuse. This woman went into that room on her own choice. He shouldn't have to lock up anything in his own house. It is his House. PERIOD. She should have gone outside or to another room. Actually I don't even accept this as an accident. I would consider it an accident if the toy was in an area where it was a more common place. Like say the living room where people being in it would be more acceptable. She went into his toy room to make a phone call. She choose that room not him. She should have to pay.

This is not a question about better shelves or locks on doors its one about why would that woman walk into a room she had no reason to be in.

But Like I said she was probably being Nosy and went in there to tell her Phone call buddy what stuff he had and how childish it is. I need to ask Who's friend is this? Are you trying not to say anything to her because she is your spouse's friend? I really can't believe all the posts trying to past the blame onto this collector who had no fault in this.

Ok I just saw your room pics. How the Hell did she bump into one of those shelves when there is so much open space? It makes no sense. Heck I am starting no to believe her story at all was she dancing in there? I am starting to think that she may have been playing with it while talking on the phone. Make her Pay.

I would make her pay for some of it. Sorry but if I were to walk into a room like mine or yours and the collection was not mine. I would make sure to stay away from any of it. I think she saw it and decided to get a closer look, and she dropped it. Even if it was an accident she is still responsible for breaking it. I would also try to find the cheapest one I could on eBay or at an online retailer

Amazon has a few for $530 and 1 for $450 if that helps

Max Factory Mazinkaiser

Archived