Transformers Collectors Ethics

Goktimus Prime

TF collector ethics: Multiples  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy multiples of the same toy?

• No.
    • Yes, only if the toy isn't scarce or rare.
    • Yes, but if the toy is scarce or rare I'll buy just one extra.
    • Yes, I'll buy as many of the same toy as I like, regardless of scarcity or rarity.
    • Other (please specify)

I saw a technique in ToyFare magazine (back when it was still an actual paper magazine) for for making figures look aged and battle worn. Since everybody is making sweeps they should check it out. I'll see if I can find a link. The example he used was the Dr. Porkchop spaceship. It looked really nice!

That be cool.

:yay

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing wrong with buying multiples, especially of certain characters like Scourge and Cyclonus. After all they do have the sweeps and armada. Can't forget the Insecticons either

the only time i buy multiples is if its a character i really like.....and i want to have them displayed in both modes...like my soundwave shelf.....i have two of almost every soundwave....one for robot mode...one for vehicle mode...except i guess cybertron......for that ones vehicle mode i have the rare ToysDreamProject Soundblaster MISB to show off its vehicle mode....some of the primes...some of the megatrons...it really depends on the character and how much i like them to whether or not i want to show off both modes or not.....some though really ill get a larger size figure to show off robot mode..and a smaller one to show off vehicle mode...for example....ROTF leader OP for robot mode....HFTD battle blades OP for vehicle mode...

I used to go after Basic G1 Insecticons but those days are mostly over. I don't aspire to get multiples of anything on purpose.

I have 3 of each G1 Insecticon, but they're not multiples - I have:

+ Original G1 Insecticons

+ Reissue Insecticons (TFC)

+ eHobby Insecticon Clone Army

...so I've used variations to build my Insecticon army. :D

I keep looking at Windcharger wishing that I could have found a double.

I have a spare Windcharger sealed. But of course, this toy was a terrible pegwarmer in Australia and I got him for like 54% off the RRP... so by Aussie standards it's nothing. :P

Damn you personal economy. I'll beat you yet! ^_^

I read that in a Zap Brannigan voice in my head. Hilarity! :D

"You win again, gravity!"

WISH I could find more Wrek Gars!

That's interesting... Wreck Gar moved pretty slowly here. I wouldn't say he peg-warmed like Windcharger, but he certainly didn't fly off shelves either. The final wave of Generations figures on the other hand - they were hell hard to find and they sold out quick!

I saw a technique in ToyFare magazine (back when it was still an actual paper magazine) for for making figures look aged and battle worn. Since everybody is making sweeps they should check it out. I'll see if I can find a link. The example he used was the Dr. Porkchop spaceship. It looked really nice!

That's pretty neat. Not sure if I'd do that personally, if I were into army building, I'd be more likely to give each Sweep something to make them individual, like maybe individual markings or different coloured hands or beards etc. I'd give them individual names and write up individual personas too - kinda like in the Clone Wars series where the Clone Troopers all have individual call signs, hair styles, customised armour (for some officers like Captain Rex) etc. Usually I just use my Generations Scourge as "Scourge" and my Titanium Series Scourge as the Sweeps... I only have one Ti Series Scourge, but that's enough, cos I only have two hands! :P I just imagine there's more. :D

the only time i buy multiples is if its a character i really like.....and i want to have them displayed in both modes...like my soundwave shelf.....i have two of almost every soundwave....one for robot mode...one for vehicle mode...except i guess cybertron......for that ones vehicle mode i have the rare ToysDreamProject Soundblaster MISB to show off its vehicle mode....some of the primes...some of the megatrons...it really depends on the character and how much i like them to whether or not i want to show off both modes or not.....some though really ill get a larger size figure to show off robot mode..and a smaller one to show off vehicle mode...for example....ROTF leader OP for robot mode....HFTD battle blades OP for vehicle mode...

I'll use variants or toys based on the same mould when I want to do that.

For example I'm currently displaying...

+ G1 Optimus Prime: Original G1 in truck mode, all reissues in robot mode, 2000 reissue w/ trailer in combat deck mode, JafCon reissue in Repair Bay mode.

+ G1 Megatron: 2001 reissue in robot mode, eHobby Megaplex in gun mode (my original G1 Megatron was stolen *sniff*)

+ G1 1984 Seekers: Original G1s in jet mode, reissues in robot mode

+ G1 Cassettes: Originals in cassette mode (inside the plastic cassette cases that the reissues come with), reissues in robot mode

+ G1 Blaster & Soundwave: Originals in radio-cassette mode, reissues in robot mode.

+ G1 Metroplex: Original in battle station mode (city mode takes up too much shelf space :P), reissue in robot mode.

+ G1 Omega Supreme: Omega Supreme in robot mode, eHobby GADEP in rocket base mode

+ G1 Astrotrain: eHobby Astrotrain in robot mode, TFC reissue Astrotrain in train mode, original G1 Astrotrain in shuttle mode

+ Beast Wars Dinobot: Original in velociraptor mode, Telemocha reissue in robot mode

+ Fortress Maximus in robot mode, Brave Maximus in city mode

+ RiD Build Team in robot modes, Target Exclusive variant combined as Landfill

+ G1 Combaticons: originals in robot mode, Encore reissue as Bruticus

+ G2 Laser Optimus Prime in robot mode, G2 Laser Ultra Magnus in truck mode

+ Hasbro Animated Blitzwing in robot mode, TakaraTOMY Animated Blitzwing in tank mode

+ Regular TF1 movie Deluxe 1970s Camaro Bumblebee in robot mode, Lawson Exclusive variant in vehicle mode

+ G1 Slag in robot mode, G2 Slag in Dinobot mode (although on entirely different shelves ;))

...etc. etc. etc. You get the idea. ;)

I don't really buy multiples for the sake of displaying another one in another mode. Sometimes I end up with multiples (usually because I get them as gifts) - and if I receive a free toy that I already have that's sealed, then I'll keep it sealed. But if I get a free toy that's loose, then I'll display one in one mode and the one I already have in another mode. For example, I have 2 G1 Mirages and 2 G1 Sunstreakers because my cousin gave me his Mirage and Sunstreaker for free. So I display 1 in robot mode and 1 in vehicle mode each. But I certainly didn't pay any money for that privilege. On a few rare occasions I'll buy another toy because the first version I have is broken... and I'll usually want to keep that original version because it's from my childhood (thus sentimental value). For example, my 1985 G1 Long Haul was broken into pieces by some other kid at my school (who was 3 years older than me no less, you'd think he'd no better) -- I've since reassembled that toy as Devastator's mid section and super glued it that way, but of course it means he can never transform. So I picked up another 1985 G1 Long Haul from a fair so I can have another one to play with. My original G1 Seaspray has - surprise surprise - a broken propellor blade, so again, I picked up another one with unbroken blades - so now I display one in robot mode the other in eel-free hovercraft mode. But these are very rare exceptions.

Come to think of it, I think I have two (or more) versions of all of my 1984 G1 Transformers (and many of my other earlier G1 toys too) - each displayed in different modes... except for Wheeljack and Prowl. I only have one of them each. :) I skipped on all the recent Prowl reissues because my own Prowl (which is a 1990 reissue) is in reasonably good nick and has his accessories... although his white has seen better days. *shrug* If they ever reissue Prowl again I'll probably grab him. Wheeljack's never been reissued (and probably never will be) and I haven't been fortunate enough to have someone give me a freebie. :P I'm not particularly fussed if I don't get free spares or variants of these toys to display in alt mode... I'm purely opportunistic when it comes to this sort of thing -- if the opportunity presents itself to me to get a reissue or have a free spare, then I'll consider taking it... but otherwise I'm certainly not going to go out of my way or pay through the nose for it the privilege of being able to display a toy in different modes at the same time. :)

the only time i buy multiples is if its a character i really like.....

I'll use variants or toys based on the same mould when I want to do that.

Heck, when it comes to a character I really like, I'm usually happy with one of each mold (hopefully it is a popular enough character), even excluding minor remolds. For example, I have over 50 Optimus Primes, and with two exceptions each one is a unique mold. The two exceptions are I have both a (reissue) G1 Prime and a Pepsi Optimus Prime, both of whom share a mold for the cab section (but have very different trailers), and two different paint schemes on Legends class Cybertron Optimus Prime. (That's the show Cybertron, not a Cybertronian mode Optimus.)

Oh, as I type this, I did recall one other... I do have two DOTM Cyberverse Optimus Primes, the "Preview" one and the one with the trailer. I only have the Preview one on display, but gave him the trailer and intend to one of these days maybe pawn off the extra cab on my nephew. (I just wanted the different accesseries.)

But unless it is a major remold, I usually don't consider it different enough. I think to myslef, "I already have a representation of that mold, I'm good." For example, ROTF Leader Prime... I didn't really have any interest in the version with the hooks, I already had the original version of that toy and was very happy with it. (If the US had gotten a version of the Buster Prime with the weapon you can construct out of the gas tanks, I might have considered that... but it never happened, and I didn't want to pay import prices on that one, so oh well.)

Australia got Buster Prime... I passed on it. But I got Jetwing Prime though. Meh. <shrug>

Jetwing Prime, if he was available for a resonable price, I might have been interested in. Some remolding to the figure itself, those convertable gas cans from Buster Prime, and a huge chunk of extra excessories! Alas, not intetested enough to drop a few hundred on it. (And this is coming from the guy who shelled out the cash for the Takara version of DOTM Voyager Prime! But between the lack of trailer and the stupid deco with wierd solar panal thingies, I just didn't have much interest in the Hasbro version...)

I used to go after Basic G1 Insecticons but those days are mostly over. I don't aspire to get multiples of anything on purpose.

I have 3 of each G1 Insecticon, but they're not multiples - I have:

+ Original G1 Insecticons

+ Reissue Insecticons (TFC)

+ eHobby Insecticon Clone Army

...so I've used variations to build my Insecticon army. :D

I have 11 of each G1 Insecticons... but only one of each Deluxe (sans Venom)... Reissues came out when I was on my TF "break."

And I don't consider the W-Set to be TFs... they are Diaclone reissues in TF packaging. That is, unless, there is some story that comes with it that figured out somehow to put Waruder into the TF universe.

There is nothing wrong with buying multiples, especially of certain characters like Scourge and Cyclonus. After all they do have the sweeps and armada. Can't forget the Insecticons either

Exactly! Plus, we live in a (mostly) capitalist world so if someone has the cash then why not? I don't find much merit in the practice myself, but that's just because I'd like to spend my cash on new molds. It would be unfair to brand someone as unethical just because they want to army build.

The closest I'd come to declaring an ethical breach would be if the sole intention of buying the multiples was to scalp them. That may still fall under the banner of capitalism, but it's still a shitty practice.

Scalping is one of those things that is wrong, yet it is needed in our society. And honestly morals and ethics do not play into any of this.

As I have stated before in another thread I will state it again. When you break it all down, its all about the money

So in the end it is all about the preference of the consumer and nothing more. What are you willing to spend your money on?

Plain as day, black and white. No morals no ethics, only preference of the individual consumer is at play yet again.

Archived