Kre-O Transformers Optimus Prime

Goktimus Prime

I've been wondering how to pronounce "Kre-O," like should I say "Kree-oh" or "Kray-oh", but apparently it's derived from the Latin word "creo" ('I create'), so it should be "Kray-Oh" then. I wonder why Hasbro didn't just call it "Creo"... legal trademark issues? <shrug> Oh well...

Anyway, last night I found Kreo-O Transformers at my local Kmart. I grabbed the small Optimus Prime one cos he (and the small Bumblebee) were the cheapest ones there for $15. Jazz looks nice too, but he was retailing for $22... might see if I can find him for a bit cheaper at Big W... Target probably has Kre-Os too, but they're likely to be more expensive than Kmart. If I can't find him for cheaper elsewhere, I'll come back for Jazz next week. (here's hoping there will still be some in stock by then). The larger ones look nice, but I couldn't justify the price.

Why are these so expensive? Now I should point out that I'm not a Lego collector and I have seriously played with Lego or made anything from Lego since I was a kid. I know that Lego is expensive, but part of that reason is because a lot of their components are made in European countries like Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark etc.; so naturally it costs more to make it there (but Lego collectors tell me that it's worth it because of superior quality). I checked the box and it says that these Kre-Os are made in China. Isn't the whole point of manufacturing toys in a country like China to keep costs down? Now again, I don't collect Lego - so I really don't know how the cost of this set compares with a similar Lego one. It just feels expensive to me. <shrug>

I assembled the toy into truck mode first. The stickers don't peel off well, so be careful when you apply them. Overall it's a pretty neat toy. There's no compartment in truck mode for a driver - I was hoping I could put a Lego dude in there, but I guess that's what I get for buying the smaller cheaper one. I guess only the larger ones with Kreons can hold drivers. But one thing that bugs me is that in both truck and robot modes, there are left over pieces. :( I would have preferred it if they managed to incorporate every piece in both modes. I've managed to find a way to do it, but it's not 'official'.

Pics!

Here are the pieces, there are 90 in this set.

kre-o_optimus03a.jpg

Here's what the truck mode should look like

kre-o_optimus02.jpg

It leaves four pieces by the side, which I didn't like, so I found a way to incorporate them into the truck mode. So here's my own variation of the truck mode incorporating the leftover pieces:

kre-o_optimus01.jpg

Now to build us a robot!

Building the body...

kre-o_optimus03b.jpg

kre-o_optimus03c.jpg

kre-o_optimus03d.jpg

Building the arms...

kre-o_optimus03e.jpg

Attaching arms to body and constructing the shoulder line...

kre-o_optimus03f.jpg

Completed robot mode:

kre-o_optimus05.jpg

As you can see, there are three left over pieces.

I managed to assemble them into a makeshift rifle...

kre-o_optimus06.jpg

Archived