WIP RtS Tracks repaint

Dark_Lord_Prime

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! Didja miss me? :D

After many, many months of having no room/resources to 'bash, I finally started a new project (and hope to return to my unfinished ones ASAP)!

I finally got my hands on a Reveal The Shield Turbo Tracks (who shall henceforth simply be called "Tracks," 'cause I hate that stupid "Turbo" name :P ), and promptly set out to remove that ugly "tribal flame" thing from his hood. I got some acrylic paint remover, and managed to destroy the finish on his hood (turns out, that stuff doesn't play well with plastic. >_>).

So, I headed back to Hobby Lobby and got some Testors all-purpose spray enamel (dark blue), and some ultra-gloss clear-coat lacquer spray. The paint in no way matches the cap, but now that it's dried and cured, it's simply GORGEOUS. :D

I tested the paint on a junk BW Rhinox partial rhino head (top of head with ears), and then the lacquer to see how they'd react, 'cause the last time I sprayed gloss clear-coat over gloss spray enamel, they turned matte. Happily, they played well together, and now I have a sexy high-gloss blue partial rhino head. :P

SOOOO... this evening, I sat down to start painting details. Those are now drying, and I'm here to treat you all to some pics of just the blue-painted car parts!

Enjoy!

DSCF0526.jpg

DSCF0527.jpg

That's just the dark blue spray enamel. When the detail apps are finished and dried, I plan to go over the actual car shell parts (everything but his feet and the bits that form his robot back and chest) with the ultra-gloss.

...aaaand, now that I think about it, I suppose I should apply some of the various detail paints to my test part (Rhinox scalp) and make sure the lacquer isn't gonna muck them up. :P

So, I've spent my free time the last two nights painting detail apps. :D

I think I need to do another coat or two on a couple things, then I have to decide how I'm gonna handle the flame decal for the hood, and then he'll be ready for the gloss-coat. (I tested the brush-paints I used for these detail apps with the ultra-gloss lacquer, it it worked beautifully, so that's good to go! :) )

Here's the rear window(s), all glossy black:

DSCF0533.jpg

And the windshield:

DSCF0534.jpg

Nose and tail (I decided the spaces under the headlights are turn signals, and the space inside the newly-chromed tailpipes will be painted with flat black after the gloss coat):

DSCF0529.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

I painted the blue parts of his pelvis and shins to match the rest of him (I happened to have some Testors dark blue brush enamel that exactly matches the spray, which was handy, 'cause I mucked up the rear bumper and had to touch it up. >_>):

DSCF0531.jpg

The shoulder pieces are essentially the same as before, except for the new shades of blue and yellow:

DSCF0532.jpg

And last, but not least, I've always liked the way G1 Tracks's feet resemble spats, so I replicated that:

DSCF0536.jpg

Just a tip. You should allways undercoat anything that you're going to pain onto. the bits where you've used that gold paint would have coated much better with a brown undercoat first. Also you need to apply paint in thinner coats. It's allways better to give a figure several thin, even coats then one or two thick and uneven ones.

Apart from that. I look forward to seeing how the flame motif comes out

@John 14:6 - If you're using acrylic paints, I normally wait about a minute or two, until the paint's dry to the touch. Once everything's painted up though, I leave it overnight to let the paint fully cure. That way it's not prone to scratching as much. the way acrylic paints work is as the water evaporates out of the paint, it causes it to dry and cure. Which is why it drys so much quicker than enamel

Archived