Ferrari in TF3

Backfire

SO, WHY feature a Ferrari TF in the movie, as well as SOundwave's car and that horrible Wheeljack or Dr what's his stupid looking face, and then not come out with the toy based around it?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know we weren't. I figured we'd get the generic Hasbro close-but-not-exact-enough-to-sue replicars they're so good at.

Honestly the only reason, I could see them using the Ferrari in the movie is if before hand, Hasbro got the ability to create a toy off of it. Otherwise they only wasted

"Dino" is not named "Mirage" in the movie because Hasbro's greatest competitor, Mattel, has an exclusive license for Ferrari toys and thus Ferrari didn't want their product placement sporting the name of a Hasbro toy's trademark.

Straight outta TFwiki yall.

That means it was just sillyness to make him a Ferrari in the first place.

SO, WHY feature a Ferrari TF in the movie, as well as SOundwave's car and that horrible Wheeljack or Dr what's his stupid looking face, and then not come out with the toy based around it?

You mean, give fans what they want with toys that would sell!?!?!?!?!? But but but, that would make sense!! :P

"Dino" is not named "Mirage" in the movie because Hasbro's greatest competitor, Mattel, has an exclusive license for Ferrari toys and thus Ferrari didn't want their product placement sporting the name of a Hasbro toy's trademark.

I agree. But what's done is done. Now hurry up and make with the toys, Hasbro!! And do it soon, cos the movie hype ain't gonna last forever. You'd think they'd learn from the whole ROTF Devastator affair about releasing principal characters from the movie as toys way after the movie came out...

Hasbro needs Ritalin.

Cool. Okay, now explain Que/Wheeljack :P

Onslaught's right by the way. They're called Mirage and Wheeljack in the comics AND the DOTM prequel game. Not sure why the change for the movie.

Comics, games and toys fall under a different jurisdiction than movies. That's why they can call Jazz "Jazz" in the film, but Hasbro has to call the toy "Autobot Jazz." We do have one toy of Dino - the Speed Star... and it's called Mirage by Hasbro, not Dino (I have this toy and it is indeed called Mirage). So if they did make a proper transforming action figure, they would be able to call it Mirage. But for legal reasons Paramount can't use the name in the film.

But I totally agree... they should have vetted this sooner - and either not used a Ferrari, or given it an original Transformer-sounding name like just some word related to a car that hasn't been taken, like Turbo, Nitro, Piston, Crankshaft, Chassis, Spoiler, Ignition, Tail-light, Manifold -- or maybe some word related to motoring or racing or driving... there's all kinds of stuff they could've picked. Gah.

Anyway, there's NOTHING stopping Hasbro from naming the toy Mirage. And I imagine that there would be nothing to stop them from calling Que "Wheeljack" either - since they were clearly still able to use the Wheeljack name for the Generations toy that came out recently. And Hasbro doesn't have to follow the characters' screen names, after all TF1 Devastator was called "Decepticon Brawl" - and I think most fans have just gone with the toyline and called the toy "Brawl" and not Devastator. I'm sure that if Hasbro continued to refer to Dino and Que as Mirage and Wheeljack, most fans wouldn't object. They'd probably find more objection if gave these characters their screen names... and on one hand, you could say it's really Michael Bay's fault for giving them those names, but on the other hand, everything had to be approved by Hasbro... so it's also Hasbro's fault for permitting it. Neither party can go back and change time, but they can do something to fix it for the future.

Michael Bay _could_ give Dino a more "Transformer-sounding" name and have voice actors who refer to his name dub-over it for the DVD and Blu-Ray. Likewise do the same for Que -- redub dialogue so that other characters are referring to him as "Wheeljack." For Hasbro, it's so ridiculously easy -- just call the toys Mirage and Wheeljack... which I think they would if they made toys for them. I would be surprised if they didn't.

But I wouldn't hold my breath for Michael Bay to improve anything for the DVD/Blu-Ray... after all, he never bothered changing Devastator's name to "Brawl" in TF1 (which would have just required tweaking one word in the subtitles), and he also didn't change the names of "Wheelbot" and "Skipjack" in ROTF -- which were meant to be working names for Demolishor and Rampage... even though Starscream refers to Skipjack as Rampage in the film. Gah.

Michael Bay also needs Ritalin.

Well, all this & I have no reason to disagree, but ther's one other point.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/item_HCXmPrelfpVtpJnd9lshgP

Bay just likes this style of car & after all the negativity from the fan base compaired to the billions he generated for the powers that be he just did what he wanted.

Archived