New Images of Walmart Exclusive Transformers 3 Dark of the Moon Mechtech Deluxe Lunarfire Optimus Prime

Peter_Van

Well, you could call 2007 Nightwatch Prime an Ultra Magnus... kinda... sorta...

Computer says no. :P

Personally, the straight OP to UM repaints have been overdone as it is.

Actually, Hasbro haven't done it for quite a while now.

Agreed. That's like saying a repainted BB is a CJ which it is.....NOT! :tfevil

Hey! That's what I said when Classics Cliffjumper first came out in 2006, but everyone disagreed with me and said I was wrong! I distinctly remember quite a few people trying to counter-argue by saying that G1 Cliffjumper _was_ a red Bumblebee, and I had to point that it wasn't -- it's not even just a different head either, the body and feet are different too because Cliffjumper had a different alt mode from Bumblebee... and of course, both the original Bumblebee and Cliffjumper figures were available in red and yellow! So a red Bumblebee is still Bumblebee, not Cliffjumper!! But in spite of all that, almost everyone disagreed with me! Oh well... glad to see that some people are agreeing with me now, 5 years later (better late than never). :P

But repainting Optimus Prime white as Ultra Magnus isn't the same as painting Bumblebee red as Cliffjumper. As I said before, the original Cliffjumper was a different mould from Bumblebee, but the original Ultra Magnus was the same mould as Optimus Prime - only with a different gun and trailer. But the core robot is the same mould. Yes, G1 fiction did have an extremely heavy bias in only ever showing Ultra Magnus in his armoured robot form, but that doesn't mean that the core robot form is "wrong" by default. Most Optimus Prime toys now don't come with a trailer... does it make them worse? It just seems bad to a lot of people because we've been influenced by G1 fiction.

Having said all that, I completely understand why white repaints as Ultra Magnus don't appeal to people -- I've skipped most of the white repainted Magni myself. Masterpiece Ultra Magnus came out here as a Target exclusive and it was reasonably cheap - especially on sale... but I still passed it up because I already had MP Convoy! I only bought Classics Ultra Magnus because I wanted Skywarp -- if they were sold separately I doubt I would've bothered with Magnus. And if they repainted Leader Class Optimus Prime white as Ultra Magnus, I'm not sure if I'd bother getting it... but if they repainted Deluxe DOTM Optimus Prime white as Ultra Magnus, I would absolutely get it because it's cheap (relatively speaking)!

So I'm not saying that repainting Optimus Prime white as Ultra Magnus is a fantastic idea per se... I'm just saying it's a LOT more preferable (IMHO) to completely pointless and random repaints like "Nightwatch Optimus Prime" (cos ya gotta be blue to look at the night, right?) or "Lunarfire Optimus Prime" (wtf is lunar fire?? The Moon has no oxygen-filled atmosphere to sustain combustion... how does one make lunar fire???) - as lazy as a white Magnus would seem, it's a lot more preferrable to "let's slap some random colours on this toy, and call it something-else-Optimus-Prime." Laaame.

I already have too many movie Optimus Primes in my collection. I don't have ANY movie Ultra Magni... and if a Deluxe (or smaller) version came out, I'd probably get it.

Oh, and I don't blame Hasbro for not releasing a trailer armour for a lot of their Ultra Magni -- it would just make the toys too expensive. The only proper way to really do it is to engineer a new mould, like they did with Animated Ultra Magnus. And City Commander is pretty poor as a toy... the thing just pulls apart and reassembles to supposedly "transform", and even worse, a big part of the trailer doesn't even form the armour, it just forms that ridiculous BFG that's so heavy that Ultra Magnus can't even hold it properly.

ngsmoov_facepalmconvoy.jpg (I should ask Randall to repaint this Optimus Prime in Ultra Magnus colours, heheh)

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would be more persuaded to consider getting a movie Magnus if the head were retooled to look more like the super robot helmet, but the rest of the body was white and blue?

Agreed. That's like saying a repainted BB is a CJ which it is.....NOT! :tfevil

Hey! That's what I said when Classics Cliffjumper first came out in 2006, but everyone disagreed with me and said I was wrong! I distinctly remember quite a few people trying to counter-argue by saying that G1 Cliffjumper _was_ a red Bumblebee, and I had to point that it wasn't -- it's not even just a different head either, the body and feet are different too because Cliffjumper had a different alt mode from Bumblebee... and of course, both the original Bumblebee and Cliffjumper figures were available in red and yellow! So a red Bumblebee is still Bumblebee, not Cliffjumper!! But in spite of all that, almost everyone disagreed with me! Oh well... glad to see that some people are agreeing with me now, 5 years later (better late than never). :P

Ive never been a fan of the red BB=CJ idea. My first Bumblebee. which was my only one until the KMart Legend came out, was the red Bumblebee. And I had gotten a Cliffjumper at the same time. It annoys me no end that Hasbro can't tell the difference between a VW Beetle and a Porsche! I accepted the repaint for the Classic only because Hasbro managed to give the repaint a deco that suggested a different personality from Bumblebee. (And the head from Generations Cliff also helps:P. But the other straight repaints I haven't gotten, because they're just red Bumblebees to me.

So I'm not saying that repainting Optimus Prime white as Ultra Magnus is a fantastic idea per se... I'm just saying it's a LOT more preferable (IMHO) to completely pointless and random repaints like "Nightwatch Optimus Prime" (cos ya gotta be blue to look at the night, right?) or "Lunarfire Optimus Prime" (wtf is lunar fire?? The Moon has no oxygen-filled atmosphere to sustain combustion... how does one make lunar fire???) - as lazy as a white Magnus would seem, it's a lot more preferrable to "let's slap some random colours on this toy, and call it something-else-Optimus-Prime." Laaame.

I already have too many movie Optimus Primes in my collection. I don't have ANY movie Ultra Magni... and if a Deluxe (or smaller) version came out, I'd probably get it.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would be more persuaded to consider getting a movie Magnus if the head were retooled to look more like the super robot helmet, but the rest of the body was white and blue?

That could work - it'd be more interesting to look at then the "Albino Optimus" Ultra Magni we normally get. I'd probably buy the deluxe or one of the voyagers if they did that. Or for a more ambitious version, how about taking Ultimate Prime, coloring the cab in traditional Magnus/Albino Optimus cab colors, and then repainting the exosuit into Magnus' suit's colors? And give him a proper Ultra Magnus Helmet rather than the one attached to Prime's BFG 9000. It'd be expensive, but that's probably the best movie Ultra Magnus Hasbro could come up with! And they gotta maximize profit on that huge mold somehow! :tfevil

Really seems like the talents & effort on this figure could have been better aplied to a bot that isn't Optimus Prime.

I know he's the star of the show, but when every class is filled with the same character, you can only care so much(if at all).

To be perfectly honest I'd rather have a random filler bot then another Optimus Prime.

ngsmoov_facepalmconvoy.jpg (I should ask Randall to repaint this Optimus Prime in Ultra Magnus colours, heheh)

I don't think I got very far with this. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------

Goktimus Prime> Hey Randall... remember that Optimus Prime facepalm pic you did once upon a while? Any chance of recolouring that in Ultra Magnus' colours? (i.e. white with blue faceplate etc.) :D

Randall Ng> But the problem is... "white" Prime is not Ultra Magnus. :)

Goktimus Prime> Sure he is. He's just nekkid! :D <kinky.growl>

-----------------------------------------------------

Ah well... t'was worth a try. :P

classics_gatcha09.jpg

classics_gatcha10.jpg

classics_gatcha13.jpg

Here's a pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about -- just imagine it with the DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime mould. :)

photocomic_lasermagnus05.jpg

And yes, I know it looks like I'm having a conversation with myself. Again. ;)

Archived