Ultimate Optimus Prime

Goktimus Prime

I don't have time to write up a proper review atm, so I'm just gonna post some piccies. If anyone else wants to post a review or more pics of Ultimate Optimus Prime, then feel free to do so here. :)

ultimateop03.jpg

ultimateop04.jpg

ultimateop05.jpg

ultimateop06.jpg

ultimateop07.jpg

ultimateop08.jpg

ultimateop09.jpg

ultimateop10.jpg

ultimateop11.jpg

ultimateop12.jpg

In short, what you see is what you get with this toy. The cab robot is rather diminutive with a simplistic design - obviously a compromise for the trailer/armour. However it's not terrible and there is a certain elegance to its simplicity - it's nice to have an Optimus Prime toy that doesn't take me half an hour to transform. My main gripe about this toy is the price -- RRP here is $120. I picked mine up for $89 at Kmart, which is still pretty steep for such a simplistic toy - but I'm glad I didn't pay full RRP for it.

The boast about it being the "biggest Optimus Prime" is based purely on its Butterfly Mode height (up to the tips of the wingalings). Ignoring the wingalings, the head height is based on the armour which is like putting Prime on stilts. And while the vehicle mode is pretty huge, I'm not sure if it's the biggest -- I have some friends with Target exclusive MP Convoy w/ trailer -- so next time I get the chance I'll take some side by side comparison pics.

Jetwing Prime is a much better core toy. In all honesty, I wanted this toy for the trailer. Again, glad I didn't pay full price. So I would only recommend this toy if you seriously want the trailer and you can find it at below RRP. The Butterfly mode isn't that fantastic -- if you're more interested in having an Optimus Prime with wingalings, I'd recommend Jetwing Prime... especially considering that the trailer never transforms into his jetwing in the film anyway.

"Wingalings". Excellent.

This guy is US$65 at a local Walmart right now, but I'm going to have to wait until he goes on clearance. Def want tho.

I agree about the cab - simple yet still fun.

I would have taken Jetwing Prime over this any day - If I could have got Jetwing for less than $200 here in the states. $65 at walmart is a little high, but not completely unreasonable.

Even though trailers are hard to display (I know most here like to display in bot mode anyway) I love trailers and think the alt mode with trailer is the best part of this Prime. Bottom kibble withstanding. With all the empty space in the trailer, you would think you would be able to pack the kibble into the trailer better. Its not even a major complaint for me, from the pics above it doesnt look all that bad. There just isnt a lot of ground clearance. You cant roll this guy around on carpet very well. And yes, sometimes I do that!

Even though trailers are hard to display (I know most here like to display in bot mode anyway) I love trailers and think the alt mode with trailer is the best part of this Prime. Bottom kibble withstanding. With all the empty space in the trailer, you would think you would be able to pack the kibble into the trailer better. Its not even a major complaint for me, from the pics above it doesnt look all that bad. There just isnt a lot of ground clearance. You cant roll this guy around on carpet very well. And yes, sometimes I do that!

At least you can take the weapon off and put it aside which should help it roll better... unlike say Masterpiece Rodimus who has bugger all floor clearance and there's not much you can do about it. :(

I wonder if they'll make a Peter Pan Megatron, to go with this Tinkerbell Prime? :tflaugh

What?!?

Surely Megatron would be Wendy Darling. :P

I wonder if they'll make a Peter Pan Megatron, to go with this Tinkerbell Prime? :tflaugh

:rofl :lol :rofl

What?!?

Surely Megatron would be Wendy Darling. :P

I disagree. Megatron would be Captain Hook. His gimp arm just screams the part.

I was trying to go left field. :P

Anyway, here's some comparison pics with the Ultimate Prime core robot to show the size of the figure.

ultimateop13.jpg

ultimateop14.jpg

I've put all the wingalings down to show a head-height comparison (counting the wingalings as part of this toy's height feels like 'cheating' to me)

ultimateop15.jpg

ultimateop16.jpg

ultimateop17.jpg

ultimateop18.jpg

ultimateop25.jpg

ultimateop26.jpg

ultimateop27.jpg

ultimateop28.jpg

I've also posted some action poses of Ultimate Prime in the Action Pose Thread to showcase the articulation (or lack thereof) of the Power Up Tinkerbell Mode. ;)

With respect to the host....

Thank You!

I Like the alt(sorta) & wouldn't mind trying the truck section Optimus, but the combines whole deal......

Much like ROTF Devistator, it may have some points of warrent however the whole pacage is far from "Ultimate"

Even Takara Jetwing Prime I have to say no.

Now even with the new Optimus figure, how hard would it have been to make only a part of the trailer break off into a jetpack & leave the rest as a pick & grabe weapons platfrom?

Goktimus, you're delivering the detail in argument that makes you worthy of having Prime slapped on the end of your monicure(sorry if mispelled). All it confirms to me is that either Hasbro or Takara are overcomplicating what should be a easy offering.

"ultimate prime" is very much a unwanted step backwards for me.

Oh, I completely agree about this toy not being terribly ultimate at all. ;)

This toy is basically a very excellently designed (but very expensive) Mega Pretender. That's all the trailer is really, a convertible Pretender shell. And like many Pretenders, the robot is often compromised in engineering so that it can fit inside its shell - but having said that, this robot is pretty well designed considering that:

+ It can transform into a fairly accurate Freightliner with all the decos of movie Prime

+ The robot mode bears reasonable likeness to a very complex movie CGI model

+ It can fit inside the "Pretender shell" and the "shell" can attach to the robot in vehicle mode.

But it IS a bloody expensive toy. In Australia this toy retails for $120, but I managed to get mine for $89 -- there's no way I would have paid full retail price for this toy, and I don't recommend anyone else pay full RRP either. But in relative terms, this trailer is still a LOT better than the Cyberverse one, which I can't stand (Cyberverse Optimus Prime w/ trailer retails here for $30). The main appeal of this toy is the trailer, so as I said in my first post, I would only recommend this toy if you reeeaaally want the trailer and you can find it at below RRP. Otherwise, I can completely understand if you want to pass this toy up. :)

I got Jetwing Prime for two main reasons:

1. Before that toy came out here, Hasbro asked Australian fans if we would be interested in getting this toy if they released it here for us. There was a fairly lengthy discussion, and in the end Hasbro went ahead and imported the toy here. So on one hand I wanted to support Hasbro Australia for doing this and hopefully encourage them to consider distributing more Japanese toys in our local market. It's not the first time they've done it though, previously we had MP Ultra Magnus, MP Convoy w/ trailer and Ghost MP Starscream released in local retailers distributed by Hasbro (although Ghost Starscream is ridiculously overpriced by TRU and continues to shelfwarm here, even when it's on sale).

2. I bought it during Big W's toy sale. :) Big W quickly sold out of their Jetwing Primes within a week or so after stocking them -- but this toy is currently shelfwarming at other retailers like Myer, Target, TRU etc. who are selling them at much higher prices. A few impatient collectors grabbed them from Myer when it first came out there, and anyone else who wanted it but didn't want to pay full retail (like me) grabbed it from Big W. I don't think most casual collectors or kids will bother getting Jetwing Prime from other outlets unless they start discounting them. :/ Still... we did get this toy before Japan! That never happened before with any of the other Japanese TFs that Hasbro brought out here. :) I think that's because the others were like excess Takara stock that Hasbro AU managed to secure and distribute here, whereas Jetwing Prime was something that they'd pre-emptively and intentionally arranged to do for our market (after consulting with fans).

So yeah, if Hasbro's willing to do something nice for the fandom, I'm willing to show my support. :)

If Hasbro was gonna start importing more Takara items I'd be happy to support them too, so I understand Jetwing Prime.

It reminds me alot of Cybertron Prime, but that big jetpack just hanging off the alt mode kills me.

If that does get a domestic release I will support it. I'll also be taking the GoW2 guns off ROTF prime & giving them to Battle Hooks Prime and sell off the extra figure....

There's only so much shelf space.

Also I completely agree about the Mega Pretender outlook & is it just me or does anyone else thing of a gundam doing their final shot whith the BFG in place?

Archived