DOTM = Fail

WereFox2009

Not to sound ignorant, but I hate the movie toys. Yes, I do have some, and yes, I have to admit some of them are cool. And if I got anything from this thread, thanks y'all for telling me that we will be getting more classics/generations toys. I admit, I am one of those that thought that the DotM toys were interfering with newer classics figures.

The Classics figures are filler toys actually, They are filling a slot. When the 2007 movie was delayed, Hasbro released the Classics line to fill the gap. Not thinking the Classic's Universe would take off, Universe 2.0 was filler until ROTF, and Generations was filler for DOTM. And once DOTM is done Generations will be back

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to sound ignorant, but I hate the movie toys. Yes, I do have some, and yes, I have to admit some of them are cool. And if I got anything from this thread, thanks y'all for telling me that we will be getting more classics/generations toys. I admit, I am one of those that thought that the DotM toys were interfering with newer classics figures.

Really? I would think after ROTF, they'd concentrate less on the movie figures. I swear I was so tired of seeing Skids and Mudflap and other figures filling up the shelves and not being sold. The classics line has got to bring in more money from the adults. I'm more interested in classic characters I guess. Classics Omega Supreme!!! That's what I want.

The Classics figures are filler toys actually, They are filling a slot. When the 2007 movie was delayed, Hasbro released the Classics line to fill the gap. Not thinking the Classic's Universe would take off, Universe 2.0 was filler until ROTF, and Generations was filler for DOTM. And once DOTM is done Generations will be back

Really? I would think after ROTF, they'd concentrate less on the movie figures. I swear I was so tired of seeing Skids and Mudflap and other figures filling up the shelves and not being sold. The classics line has got to bring in more money from the adults. I'm more interested in classic characters I guess. Classics Omega Supreme!!! That's what I want.

Next time make sure you write your response outside of the quote LOL :tflaugh

Next time make sure you write your response outside of the quote LOL :tflaugh

Opppps!!!!! The dangers of using an iPhone for Internet usage!!! :tflaugh:

I hear that and I am with you about a Classics Omega Supreme, but he would have to be Supreme or Ultimate size. Any less would not do him justice

I hear that and I am with you about a Classics Omega Supreme, but he would have to be Supreme or Ultimate size. Any less would not do him justice

Agreed!!!! They made Inferno, who is my favorite Transformer. Now I need Omega, my second!!! If they can make that big hunk of plastic they called RotF Devastator, they can make an awesome Omega with extended legs. That was the only downfall with the G1, besides I always thought the toys shoulders were weak looking as well. I believe Hasbro new this as in the episode "the Golden Lagoon", when the Decepticons attacked him, his shoulders started sparking!!! Anyway, that was totally off topic. I just want some cool classics!!!

I hate all the Movie TFs... too insect looking. Bring back alts and classics and I will be happy :D

Hmmm...

I don't know if traditional TF designs like Binalts or Classics would work in a live action film because they're just so blocky and restrictive to natural movement. Anyone who's ever cosplayed as a Transformer will affirm this. ;) They needed to make the designs more 'streamlined' (for lack of a gooderer word) to allow the characters to move about naturally without "cheating" by misplacing or morphing body parts - i.e. ignorant laws of reality... which is what all comic and cartoon artists do. But in a live action film it would make the Transformers look too cartoony.

I think one thing that some people don't like about the movie designs is how alien they look; but why should the Transformers look human-like? They're not humans. I like how the movie designs make the Transformer look more otherworldly compared to more orthodox TF designs (which are essentially based off Japanese Mecha aesthetics). But having said that, there are some movie designs that I just don't like either -- Quejack and Brain were just needlessly f'ugly in DotM. And I really didn't like RotF Megatron... one thing I love about DotM Megatron is that he has a recognisable Earthen alt mode. TF1 Megatron transformed into a "WTF?" alien jet. But alright, the story backed that up... toy sucked though (although HasTak did pretty well with the weird-arse CGI design that Dreamworks gave them). But in ROTF I couldn't see any reason why he needed Cybertronian alt modes on Earth. "No more disguises!" -- you never had a disguise ya mook!! :P

I skipped on alot of the reoccuring figures but Leader Ironhide & Voyager Megatron are awesome!

I skipped all DotM Ironhides... I got Voyager Megatron because DotM Megatron is whole new design and not a rehash of his previous incarnations :) Recurring character, but not recurring design.

Alot of people never liked the movie line, I have. The designs, details, and inovations are a fresh breath of air to me that pushes a evnvelope that was very stale after AEC.

Love 'em or hate 'em, it's not primarily Hasbro's fault anyway. The movie designs are based off models created by Dreamworks -- extremely complex designs. Like Optimus Prime's CGI model has over 10000 different components (and the ROTF and DOTM models are more complex than TF1 OP). It's not easy for HasTak to engineer these models into toys.

Hasbro does ultimately have to approve all the movie designs though, and often they'll negotiate with Dreamworks over what they want. For example Aaron Archer wanted Optimus Prime to have an entirely red chest, but Michael Bay told him that this would create filming problems and apparently blue was easier to film -- so they reached a compromise and gave Optimus Prime a combination of red and blue on the chest (hence the chopper flames). The early designs for Optimus Prime had his tyres totally peeling away from the wheels -- Archer realised that this would impractical for them to engineer in the toy, so he argued against it - so the compromise was to have the tyres split, but not peel away in the film. Having said all that, it's clear that Hasbro doesn't put ALL the movie models through this level of scrutiny (Optimus Prime probably got nitpicked a lot because he's a 'flagship toy'). I wish they did though... (>_>) I think a lot of the less better looking movie models may have looked better if Hasbro had given them the same scrutiny as they did with Optimus Prime. This is just typical of Archer's inconsistent approach to Transformers... and it's been happening for about a dozen years now...

My issue, is Hasbro. I was dissapointed with their ROTF offering in retail, there was so much more they could have put out there. DoTM though, with so many awesome bots they should be working on, it was like wave one with Optimus in every scale then "OK we're just gonna bleed this out with Optimus"

I love the designs, I want the figures, but if all they're doing is the same guy over well, thats just bad marketing.

+1. Stop giving us more Optimus Primes and Bumblebees until we get Wheeljack, Mirage, Brains and Soundwave, damnit!!

I will admit, I was let down by both versions of Megatron...really, Hasbro? No shotguns? In favor of stupid mechtech? Whatever.

What's wrong with MechTech? It's a fun gimmick that doesn't intrude on the toy or significantly compromise its engineering... unlike electronic sound gimmicks which TOTALLY compromise engineering because you have to build a toy around a static electronic sound box. Electronic sound gimmicks also make the toys more expensive too. I'd rather a fun and non-intrusive gimmick like MechTech over another stupid electronic gimmick any day. And electronic gimmicks are really just bells and whistles intended to grab people's attention in toy stores ("Try me!")... there's only so long noises and catchphrases will be fun to play with (for me, usually a few seconds before I get bored of them and want to rip the batteries out to make the toy SHUT UP!) -- whereas MechTech is a gimmick that continues to give play value long after initial purchase.

As for the shottie... I suspect that the shotgun was a later inclusion for Megatron. Remember that it does take about a year for Hasbro and Takara to create a Transformer toy. And evidence suggests that the ending for DotM was changed later on too - because both the novelisation and comic adaptation of DOTM share an alternate ending from the film. Also, the script would have said that Megatron shoots Sentinel Prime with a gun. It may not have explicitly described it as looking like a pump-action shot gun, I don't know... but Hasbro may not have known this at the time that Dreamworks gave them Megatron's CG designs in early 2010. And I think the toy's gun is actually cooler looking than just a plain pump-action shottie - and I love how it can attach to Megatron's forearm; a neat tribute to G1 Megatron's fusion cannon. :)

There are still quite a few DOTM figures I'd like to get. But I could literally count those figures out & be done with the line...whereas with lines like Generations, Classics, etc, I'm in line for whatever figures they come out with next. This line is TINY, full of repaints, and general FAIL!!! (but you already said that. :) )

Agreed!!!! They made Inferno, who is my favorite Transformer. Now I need Omega, my second!!! If they can make that big hunk of plastic they called RotF Devastator, they can make an awesome Omega with extended legs.

Let's hope they don't make it is CRAP as ROTF Devastator. I'd rather have a small but well designed Omega Supreme over a big and poorly designed one. My main concern with large TF toys from Hasbro is that they ALWAYS have to chuck in some stupid electronic sound gimmick with anything Ultra Class or above. Seriously... stop it, Hasbro!! Just focus on making toys that are awesome in their own right and don't need electronic bells and whistles to appeal to people!! It better not be anything like that overpriced hunk-o-crap Mega Pretender shell that was Energon Omega Supreme. Aside from being big, there's really not much to that toy at all (although still way better value that ROTF Combiner Class Devastator).

That was the only downfall with the G1, besides I always thought the toys shoulders were weak looking as well.

The thing I really don't like about G1 Omega Supreme is the transformation... the whole pull the robot apart into itty bitty pieces and reassemble it. I'm lucky that I still have all my bits and pieces from my G1 Omega Supreme, including the little yellow clips which I know a LOT of people lose.

Ya know, if they did make a Classicsverse Omega Supreme... I wonder if BotCon or TFCC will repaint it as Omega Spreem! :D As ugly as it is, you KNOW that people would be all over that toy like pigeons fighting over a piece of bread! :P Look at Shattered Glass Thundercracker! I can't believe they even made that toy, let alone the massive demand for it!

That was the only downfall with the G1, besides I always thought the toys shoulders were weak looking as well.

The thing I really don't like about G1 Omega Supreme is the transformation... the whole pull the robot apart into itty bitty pieces and reassemble it. I'm lucky that I still have all my bits and pieces from my G1 Omega Supreme, including the little yellow clips which I know a LOT of people lose.Ya know, if they did make a Classicsverse Omega Supreme... I wonder if BotCon or TFCC will repaint it as Omega Spreem! :D As ugly as it is, you KNOW that people would be all over that toy like pigeons fighting over a piece of bread! :P Look at Shattered Glass Thundercracker! I can't believe they even made that toy, let alone the massive demand for it!

It's too bad Goki, Omega is one of the best from G1, and I loved the Transformation myself and they even used it in the cartoon. And there is even a 3rd party upgrade coming out for Omega that will make him even cooler.

If the TFCC ended up coming out with Omega Spreem, I'm sure you would be the first to gobble it up LOL

If Classics was to redo Omega Supreme it better transform like the commercial instead of the show which was a crap shoot for the situation.

For what Omega is thats the closest we could get to a unified transformation.

-plus it features Prime dying which is always a plus for me!

If they revisit Omega they better do it right. Energon gave us a giant robot which is OK with the wierd train mode, but Omega is more then that to me.

The segmented alt is what always made him SUPREME to me. Look at the play value, you got a rocket, a bunker & a all powerful tank. As a fan of basebots thats what always spoke to me but even the robot was awesome since you could fit those wing racks any which way on him and have him skyth the Decepticons as he slowely strode past.

I don't have the Encore version, but I do have one MIB complete and another vintage that I pieced together over time & am working on a third.

Thats another part of the fun for Omega for me as a collector. All those parts mean a piece here, & a piece there & I can be rewarded with my own Omega which is far more satisfactory then just pulling pieces out of a box.

Archived