Dark_Supreme_Jetfire

14 members have voted

1. 1. What Company is better?

• Dreamwave
    • IDW
    • Both Are About the Same
    • Could Care Less
    • Make Mine Marvel!

I know this is more of Comics Discussion part of the forum...but no one really goes to that part. So anyways I have sat down and re-read the Dreamwave comics which unfortunately closed shop in 2004 and I can't help but wonder where the TF series would be now if Pat Lee hadn't ran the company into the ground. While reading all the issues I managed to make out some pro's and con's between both companies. So here they are, and yes I know not everyone will agree with me:

Dreamwave Pro's:

Simon Furman or Brad Mick(forget his real name) where the 2 main writers so it was a streamlined story for the most part

WWI Mini's

Where able to use Bluestreak, Hot Rod and Octane names

Shockwave kicking Megatron's ass

The Armada/Energon Series

Profile Books for G1

Streamlined Art(not a lot of variation)

G1 Modes

Price 2.95

Dreamwave Con's:

A lot of plot holes between the 1st mini and 2nd and even main series(Red Alert, Insectioncs, Blitzwing to name a few)

Not a lot of original story telling. Was following Cartoon and Movie story too much

Dreamwave closing shop so WWI 3rd mini not finished

G.I. Joe /Transformer Crossover(non-Devil's Due

Too Much Fan Wank thrown in

Too many characters within the series

Not knowing what to do with Soundwave(no lines)

IDW Pro's:

More original storyline(for most part)

All Hail Megatron

Spotlights

Beast Wars Mini's

Simon Furman and Don Figorua(sp?) working for the company.

Continuation of Marvel G1 Comic at end of this year.

Optimus doubting himself instead of a "holier than thou" type character

Starscream actually getting respect from Megatron

Actual death's within all the series, no resurrections as of yet.

Knowing what to do with Soundwave(has lines)

No plot holes(that I can see)

IDW Con's:

Price 3.99

TF Animated Megatron's Pre-Earth mode being used for Megatron in Ongoing

Unable to use Octane, Hot Rod, or Bluestreak names.

Too much variation on artwork in ongoing series.

Canceling ongoing after issue 125 and relaunching with 2 series. Means more money

Too much Hasbro influence

Not Finishing the various mini's they could have when DW folded.

So that is what I came up with and to me both companies are both solid but IDW has the edge by being more original to a point and seems to keep coming up with original storylines unlike if Dreamwave was still around they more than likely would have ran out of storyline ideas bout 3 years ago. Also feel free to add your own Pro's and Con's

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda missed out on the Dreamwave comics and haven't reread the Marvel series as an adult so I gotta go with IDW for now.

Oh, and to the character resurrection thing, they brought back Ironhide. Even did a 4 issue limited series about it, and if you haven't read the Heart of Darkness LS yet, read it. Lot of resurrectin' goin on there.

I have read all the series and I have to say DW. Idw is ok but the art is all over the place. Story is ok so far but not great. And Beast wars is just awesome but that was more because Figuoera drew it. Hated how he didn't finish the story. Also second run felt rushed.

Oh snap, I just clicked on IDW straight away, because the title of this thread says IDW Vs Dreamwave, and between the two I'd say IDW is definitely gooderer. But then I later noticed that Marvel is an option too, but I'd definitely say that Marvel's better than all of them.

Oops.

So are the current comics really worth reading? I read one last year and it didnt click with me. It was definitely G1 themed and I thought I would like it because of that, but no dice.

If I were to take another look, what do you guys recommend. I couldnt care less about anything movieverse though, just G1.

I say IDW is worth the time and money. If you actually have the time to read everything in chronological order it is just one big awesome epic.

I had forgot about the Ironhide mini so I guess that does count as a resurrection. As for Hearts of Darkness, I did read that and the 'bots they did resurrect where just cannon fodder. And yes I do hate that the artwork is all over the place for IDW.

As for Marvel I have the 1st 43 issues and I have tried numerous times to read it but it just doesn't seem to hold my interest. Maybe its the artwork or lack of detail.

I am just interested in seeing what IDW is up to especially with this issue 125 which they have yet to explain, and what their plans are for the 2 ongoing's after that. On the upside with the movies being done, there isn't any movieverse comics in the future.

So are the current comics really worth reading? I read one last year and it didnt click with me. It was definitely G1 themed and I thought I would like it because of that, but no dice.

If I were to take another look, what do you guys recommend. I couldnt care less about anything movieverse though, just G1.

All Hail Megatron (including the epiloguess issuses) is a great place to start. It got me hooked. Pick up a trade. You won't be sorry.

If you're a Dinobot fan, Maximum Dinobots was a fun read, though I didn't really get what Scorponok had going on since I didn't have any backstory on that.

All Hail Megatron (including the epiloguess issuses) is a great place to start. It got me hooked. Pick up a trade. You won't be sorry.

If you're a Dinobot fan, Maximum Dinobots was a fun read, though I didn't really get what Scorponok had going on since I didn't have any backstory on that.

Dumb question, but whats a trade?

I remember reading here that All Hail Megatron was being released in a combined book, but I checked my local comic book store and they were not carrying it

Dumb question, but whats a trade?

I remember reading here that All Hail Megatron was being released in a combined book, but I checked my local comic book store and they were not carrying it

A combined book like you're talking about is called a trade paperback in comic geek speak. It collects a limited series or a story ark from an ongoing series.

You could probably order a trade through Amazon cheaper than you could get it at your local comic shop anyway. Alternately, they could order you a copy at the comic shop if you ask them. You might have to pay up front though. At the shop I use, I don't pay until I get my order but every place is different.

Archived