something new

WereFox2009

I ran a thread on this some years ago. I believe there are 2 ways to go on this. One, would be to mix more characters into the main show by NOT focusing everything on Megatron and Prime. Have segments in the show that focus on other bands of Autobot and Decepticons who aren't on Earth. Eventually somewhere down the line they all come together, but we could actually have episodes that don't even involve Prime or Megs. Episodes where the plot concerns parties either on the Earth crews or the Cybertron crews only and episodes where the central plot involves them all.

OR.

Spin-off. Let's say they did it for Prime. On Cybertron we follow a different crew of Autobots led by ??? and Decepticons let by ???. They would most likely pick Ultra Magnus or Rodimus and Shockwave to respectively fill those roles. However the other team members they can feel free to introduce some all new original characters with. Best of all they can have frequent crossovers with the parent show.

Animated DVD movies would also be a nice way to accomplish this, but it doesn't seem like Hasbro is even thinking of ever expanding in that direction. A shame really, lots of lost opportunity there!

One more thing to add to this that I always wanted to see. A new faction. NOT Autobot or Decepticon. Essentially, what Transformers would have been if Megs had won. Only, these guys are just the same as Megatron and the Decepticons only more advanced, more cold, and more ruthless. Think of how much more powerful they'd be not warring among themselves for millions of years. They're not looking for friends or allies, just to conquer. Whether it's a lost race of Cybertronians, or something entirely different. See the show start off with Megatron and Optimus being forced into a partnership to fight off this new threat. Clearly neither trust each other, nor do Autobots or Decepticons but they have to make it work or they will all fall. Great chance to make some dramatic development with these characters and take them in directions people NEVER thought they would ever go.

For those who ever saw all of Babylon 5 think of G'kar and Londo and how the path of those 2 ended up so dramatically different from where they started. You can't beat that kind of character development! In this case, Megatron or even if it's just Starscream can be the character that takes an almost Dinobot approach to their character, seeing them go from lethal enemy to more noble and heroic allies. Do it in a way that when you see it play out, you know these characters are truly undergoing a change. The twists and turns could be epic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ The idea of subfactions is why I hate that they're not making so many filler characters in the toy lines.

In my collection there are tons of sub factions. Thake the Energon Terrorcons, led by Scorponok they just want to be left alone & I've grown those racks with Cyberon Scrapmetals & ROTF Insecticons.

ROTF Mindwipe & most of the ROTF decepticon Scouts are another subgroup, but can normaly be cohersed into fighting for the right price.

I can go on, but you're right, the shows will never do it. I have my own mind though & collection & like I said, it sucks that it really hasn't been growing since the only figures we seem to get are just Optimus Primes & Bumblebees.

Yeah, but having said that -- it also depends on what kids today would buy too. As neat as a horse-drawn carriage or steam locomotive may be, not sure if it'd be really popular with kids today. But still, I'm sure there are plenty of other alt modes out there which would be popular with kids... especially various kinds of vehicles they've never done. Especially regular everyday vehicles and objects instead of exotic sports cars all the time. The whole catchline with Transformers is "robots in disguise" -- and I think having Transformers who transform into things you see everyday really plays into that.

Most average kids don't see too many Lamborghinis driving around IRL. But they do see lots of regular cars (sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs, vans etc.), buses, ferries, taxis, vending machines etc. Where are these TFs?? Some people pay out Ejector for being such a strange robot - and he is - but I LOVE the fact that he's a toaster!! And the Real Gear Robots line was just pure awesome because they transformed into everyday devices that you can find in a home (and also reminisced of the Microman-based Transformers like Soundwave, the cassettes, Reflector etc.).

And there are so many animals that haven't been done. One thing I loved about Beast Wars Neo was all the new animal modes we got - horse, giraffe, rabbit (I know BWII had Moon, but he's a robotic rabbit, Stampy's alt mode is more realistic as a robot in disguise), mammoth, dimetrodon, archaeopteryx, quetzacoatyl, ultrasaurus, tanuki, cobra etc. -- even a freakin' AMMONITE!! :D -- but there are still SO many more animals that Transformers have never touched. I'd love to see a Bumblebee toy that transformed into a bumblebee! Or a dog Transformer called Hound.

Theres already a dog. Well, wolf in Wolfang. I commissioned a dogformer from Frenzy_Rumble like 3 years ago :redface He turned into a Weimeriner. I wish I had some pics :(

I'd acually love to see a series where a new faction is introduced, that kicks the shit out of both the Autobots and Decepticons to the point where they both need to set their hatred aside to overcome this new "evil"

I allways loved in beast wars that Rattrap and Dinobot didnt get on. IMagine that in a much larger scale, with both leaders having to constantly keep their sobordinants in check for the sake of the Cybertronian race, yet still having to keep from kiling each other too on a daily basis

I never read G2, and the colours of the figures were outragiously horrible in a fresh prince 80's way. :P

Those were just the toys. The characters were not all crazy colored like that, mostly because most of the toys weren't in the comic. If they were to bring back Liege Maximo's Decepticons and do it properly, that would be great. And by properly, they were some shadowy force that never got truly revealed... thanks in part of the series ending. Which sucked btw, the greatest cliffhanger ever was the last page of #12... just when things were getting interesting.

You mean you don't like hurt-your-eyes Day-Glo flouro colours?!?!?? :P ;) (it is very 1990s isn't it... remember Hypercolor shirts? :D) -- although Hasbro still has a massive love for overtly-bright colours (sigh) -- post 1990s examples include:

+ Armada Hot Shot: very hurt-your-eyes yellow. Takara's Micron Legend Hot Rod has a much more tasteful and normal shade of yellow.

+ Universe Sunstreaker: again, same deal. Henkei version has a nicer rich cadmium yellow.

+ Animated Bumblebee: okay, no where near as bad as the previous two examples, but it's still brighter than it needed to be, and worst still, two different non-matching shades of yellow hurt the toy too.

+ The ample amount of BABY BLUE that Hasbro seems obsessed with!! It started off with some of the TF1 movie toys like Incinerator, Deep Desert Brawl and all those "AllSpark Power" redecos... and more recently EVERY connector joint on the Power Core Combiners...

jaam_pain.gif

The day-glo coloured G2 Transformers do appear in G2, but toward the end. Most of the story is with the carry-on G1 cast plus the new G2 Decepticons (Jhiaxus & Co.) - but nonetheless, it was a pretty good story. :) Although I know Furman doesn't like it very much -- hence why he plans on continuing G1 after G1 US#80 instead of picking up where G2 US#12 left off.

Not for anything, I would love a searies that focused on the Decepticons instead of the Autobots. That right there is something they always had but never did and just has so much raw potential!

It would also never, EVER, sell. Ever!

There is a reason that there are always less Decepticon toys than Autobots, because they don't sell as well. And as badly as this proposed series would sell here, it would sell 100 times worse in Japan! There is a reason that there were little to no Decepticon toys in the last few years of G1 over there. Decepticon, and bad guy figures in general, sell horribly in Japan. I believe it's a cultural thing; no one wants to imagine themselves as being the bad guy, and why would they? By and large the bad guys are just evil douch-nozzles that have no honour. And the concept of honour is still very big in Japan.

One more thing to add to this that I always wanted to see. A new faction. NOT Autobot or Decepticon. Essentially, what Transformers would have been if Megs had won. Only, these guys are just the same as Megatron and the Decepticons only more advanced, more cold, and more ruthless. Think of how much more powerful they'd be not warring among themselves for millions of years. They're not looking for friends or allies, just to conquer. Whether it's a lost race of Cybertronians, or something entirely different. See the show start off with Megatron and Optimus being forced into a partnership to fight off this new threat. Clearly neither trust each other, nor do Autobots or Decepticons but they have to make it work or they will all fall. Great chance to make some dramatic development with these characters and take them in directions people NEVER thought they would ever go.

I'd acually love to see a series where a new faction is introduced, that kicks the shit out of both the Autobots and Decepticons to the point where they both need to set their hatred aside to overcome this new "evil"

They did this already back in the 90's. It was called Generation 2.

Archived