IDW Comics Discussion

Goktimus Prime

The Iacon elite (Autobots) don't necessarily have to be religious - but perhaps it had religious roots in its distant past. For example, Turkey is secular state, yet its flag features the Star and Crescent, a symbol widely associated with Islam (and originating from the Mesopotamian/Sumerian moon god, Sin). Australia and New Zealand are also both secular countries, yet our flags have the Union Jack which comprises of three different Christian crosses (St. George's Cross, St. Andrew's Cross and St. Patrick's Cross). So just because a state (and in G1 Cybertron was divided into Greek-like City States like Iacon - I'm assuming this is still the case in IDW's Neo-G1) features a religious icon in its symbol, doesn't necessarily make it a religious state. :)

Or how about this -- the Autobrand is culturally ingrained as a holy icon on Cybertron, thus it is used as a symbol of divinity. The Iaconians use it as their symbol of authority (government by divine right?). But perhaps the Iaconians also use religion to promote oppressive doctrine. It'd be like what happened to the Swastika -- originally a religious symbol (and it is still used by many religions as a holy symbol today), it is now commonly associated with Nazi fascism.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Iacon elite (Autobots) don't necessarily have to be religious - but perhaps it had religious roots in its distant past. For example, Turkey is secular state, yet its flag features the Star and Crescent, a symbol widely associated with Islam (and originating from the Mesopotamian/Sumerian moon god, Sin). Australia and New Zealand are also both secular countries, yet our flags have the Union Jack which comprises of three different Christian crosses (St. George's Cross, St. Andrew's Cross and St. Patrick's Cross).

All fair examples. It's just that with the Autobots using a symbol based on the face of Primus and their leader having a title that's derived from Primus' name, it just seems natural that they would have a religious bend to them.

Plus they had Optimus Prime quoting the Covenant of Primus to open the last episode of TF: Prime. Though I would have chuckled if Bulkhead had yelled "keep it in church!"

So just because a state (and in G1 Cybertron was divided into Greek-like City States like Iacon - I'm assuming this is still the case in IDW's Neo-G1) features a religious icon in its symbol, doesn't necessarily make it a religious state. :)

I think the Cybertron of the IDW-verse is divided into city states that have a few overarching institutions like the Senate and the security forces led by the Prime. In #23 they mention an electrical storm hitting states, so I assume the individual cities all have their own independent government, but there's a larger organization they also belong to.

Or how about this -- the Autobrand is culturally ingrained as a holy icon on Cybertron, thus it is used as a symbol of divinity. The Iaconians use it as their symbol of authority (government by divine right?). But perhaps the Iaconians also use religion to promote oppressive doctrine. It'd be like what happened to the Swastika -- originally a religious symbol (and it is still used by many religions as a holy symbol today), it is now commonly associated with Nazi fascism.

Well except in the Autobrand's case Optimus Prime saves the symbol.

The whole thing seems interesting, it's a certain level of disconnect to learn to that the security forces we saw in All Hail Megatron being led by a Prime and wearing the Autobrand weren't Autobots, at least not by the definition Orion Pax gives us in #23.

Yeah, it's kinda like what happened to the Galactic Republic in Star Wars, only in reverse. :) In Star Wars we had this democratic Republic transform into an oppressive empire, but here we're seeing an oppressive Autobot(?) state which will transform into a more altruistic-driven faction under Optimus Prime's rule.

I must say that IDW has given us what I consider to be what is arguably the most interesting origin stories for the Cybertronian civil war. Makes it so much more believable too. :) With other continuities, even G1 - the Decepticons are always portrayed as these marauding invaders come to attack the peace-loving Autobots... but here we see that the Decepticons are the by-product of the Autobots' marginalised society. It's pretty cool because it makes us empathise with the Decepticons, making them far more interesting villains. It's actually kinda similar to what they did in Beast Wars too -- the way that the Predacons were portrayed as being a marginalised faction - but in Beast Wars it was something told in reference to the past in passing dialogue. Here we're actually directly witnessing the oppression that gives birth to evil.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading issue #22 (I know, I know. I'm way behind on my reading). I have to say that conversation between Optimus and Megatron is probably the best interaction I've seen between the two characters.

Also, after Rodimus returned the Matrix to Optimus I have to say that not only do I have a whole new respect for the Rodimus character but this may be the first time I've actually like him at all.

I just finished reading issue #22 (I know, I know. I'm way behind on my reading). I have to say that conversation between Optimus and Megatron is probably the best interaction I've seen between the two characters.

Also, after Rodimus returned the Matrix to Optimus I have to say that not only do I have a whole new respect for the Rodimus character but this may be the first time I've actually like him at all.

Your right about Rodimus. They made him a bit of a tool in the IDW verse. I guess this is another step in his evolution. But even though it seems like the series is getting much better it's still weighed down (in my mind) by what came before.

But the latest issue seems to be a downturn. I kinda think that we can see where Costa got help with the writing.

Nightbeat was always a much better detective than Prowl...

Streetwise's appearance was strange to say the least and contradictory to his G1 persona which states "Nothing escapes his notice... amazing capacity to adapt to understand his environment. Clever and determined..." and "treetwise simply has an amazing capacity for understanding.....he's as doggedly determined as he is clever." Streetwise's actions didn't just contradict his original G1 profile, but it was actually more like Blades' persona (a violent thug)... so it's as if Streetwise has mysteriously adopted Blades' persona!

And sadly this wouldn't be the first time that Protectobots have had personality switches... for some odd reason the G1 cartoon gave First Aid Groove's personality. While it's true that First Aid is extremely compassionate, it's _Groove_ who's the pacifist. "Pacifist -- difficult for him to accept his role as part of the Protectobot team." and "...he detests violence of any sort, and often finds it difficult to reconcile his pacifist beliefs with his sense of responsibility to his comrades. Certain that war is not the answer, he endlessly roams Earth's highways, hoping to find out what is the answer."

Always great when writers don't pay attention to their characters' unique individual personalities and/or mix them up... </sarcasm>

Hotrod-facepalm-uk187.gif

• 1 month later...

And I'm really glad I DID skip it, just on the off chance there were spoilers. It's good to get confirmation but I'm sorry it was at your expense Bugstomper.

Archived