Cyberverse the new main line?

sbrfrst

Wouldn't the IDW G1 series count as a Classics comic? They're meant to be the same characters, at least.

Not really. And here's why:

1: It's basically just IDW's Neo G1 universe with occasionally SOME Universe models thrown in by some artists (like Guidi). But it's far from consistent. We have Prowl... BlueSilverstreak, OctaneTankor... Jetfire for a while, but then they un-Classic'd him, Sunstreaker... and um... that's it. None of the other characters are drawn like their Classicsverse toys; e.g. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Ironhide, Ratchet, Bumblebee, current Jetfire, Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Rodimus, Wheelie et al.

2: The consistency in IDW's character models is a fecking JOKE. Why the hell can't IDW draw up some model sheets and get their artists to draw to them??? Artists don't like to? Tough shit... that's your job as an artist. Andrew Wildman was never hot on drawing robots, but he drew them according to the model sheets anyway - even if he did "humanise" them to his style, he never technically deviated away from Marvel's models for those characters. The only time Marvel artists ever deviated from the model sheets was to make some of the characters more toy-accurate (e.g. the way Will Simpson drew Optimus Prime and Megatron etc.)

We have actually had some Classics comics, in the form of Fun Publications' stuff like Timelines, but these were made for BotCon (and sometimes later made available through comic stores) -- but I'd like to have a regular ongoing comic or cartoon series based on Classicsverse.

Of course, it wouldn't matter to me; I don't read (new) comics these days. I haven't "outgrown" them - I just hate what the comic industry is doing. So I pick up reprints and read old stuff from my collection.

I don't blame you. TF comics these days just don't hold a candle to what Marvel gave us. What really irks me is when I spend $5-6 on a single issue, you read it from cover to cover and... not much happens! When you read a single Marvel issue, a lot of stuff happened! It gave us more bang for our buck.

Last Stand of the Wreckers was well done though and some of the more recent titles are showing promise. Not Hearts of Darkness though, that sucked (especially the crappy artwork)

As for a cartoon, I think that it'd end up feeling like Animated or Prime, but with G1/Classics character designs. Which might work, but what would be the point? Even if done well, it wouldn't really be G1, just a copy, no different than Animated or RiD, just with G1-ish designs.

Yeah but that's why EVERY new TF series gives us... but at least this time it'd be based on some awesome toys!! :D

Storywise what I would personally love to see a Classicsverse story do is continue from Marvel finished. Make it like "Transformers Generation 3" in a way, and bridge the gap between G2 and Beast Wars. I'm sick of reboots... so lazy. Beast Wars proved that you CAN write a good story that can engage new audiences without having to totally reboot continuity.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda curious to know though, while we're comparing price scales I think it would also help to know how that relates to pay scales. I don't want to ask anyone what they make personally, but like, what is minimum wage? Average wage? After taxes...stuff like that.

Cuz if a minimum wage worker here makes $8+ an hour and a minimum somewhere else is a lot more or a lot less then that makes a huge difference. Here there are a lot of retail jobs, but you'd have to consider yourself lucky if you're making over $20,000 a year full time. Now if you live in a country where you might make $30,000 for the same type of job, well then things aren't really as different as they seem.

The cost of living is something else to consider too. You guys have seen how I've described the cost of Transformer toys in Australia - but they're not the only things that are overpriced here, we pay lots for all kinds of things. For example, I pay about $1.35 per litre for Unleaded petrol or even in excess of $1.57/l for Premium, and the median house price in Sydney is approx. $600k. I don't drink coffee so I have no idea what the average cup of Joe costs here. :P

The cost of living is something else to consider too. You guys have seen how I've described the cost of Transformer toys in Australia - but they're not the only things that are overpriced here, we pay lots for all kinds of things. For example, I pay about $1.35 per litre for Unleaded petrol or even in excess of $1.57/l for Premium, and the median house price in Sydney is approx. $600k. I don't drink coffee so I have no idea what the average cup of Joe costs here. :P

We got you beat on gas! I put gas in this morining...$3.92 reg I believe it was. Don't know about other folks, but Chicago area has one of the highest gas prices in the country.

We got you beat on gas! I put gas in this morining...$3.92 reg I believe it was. Don't know about other folks, but Chicago area has one of the highest gas prices in the country.

We're about the same here too, but its mostly the taxes that are added on top which makes up for 50% of the price.

Archived