The "Fix MP Hot Rod/Rodimus" Thread

Superior Grilled Cheese

You mean the Hasbro version right? I was talking about the Takara version w trailer.

I meant Hasbro and Takara in general - for any Transformer - they should just pull their socks up with QC and ensure that their toys are properly manufactured. Nobody should have to fix any flaws in their toys - we don't pay them to give us flawed toys.

We pay them to give us fun and amusement. Futzing around with my toys is what I like to do and fixing them becomes enjoyable if the problems are simple enough. It becomes more personal too if you exert a little effort on it, sort of like building a model with 97% of it already done.

Now if something breaks because of crappy design or cheap plastic, I'll blast away :tfgrin

I don't like fixing my toys... I like playing with them. When I buy a toy, I want it ready to be played with as soon as I open it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for consumers to expect a product that they've purchased to be in proper working order. If a product is faulty, then the consumer is entitled to recompense from the retailer and/or manufacturer. Usually when I get a Transformer and there's some flaw in it, I'll take it back for a refund or exchange. However, if the problem is a design flaw, then I can either refund it or cop it on the chin and keep the toy - but you can bet I won't be happy about it.

Look at Offshoot's inability to attach to Rodimus' engine block... that's complete bollocks. The back of the box states that Offshoot can attach to the vehicle mode and the photo illustrates that it's attached to the engine block. The instructions also show that you can attach Offshoot on the engine -- but it can't because the handle is too short. That's just fcuked up. Just as well I like the rest of the toy enough to keep it... cos otherwise you can bet your asteroid that I would've refunded it. And that flaw remains my greatest criticism of the toy. Perhaps there's a way to modify or replace the handle to make it fit... but I shouldn't have to. I paid eighty fecking dollars for Chrissakes.

These aren't meant to be model kits, they're supposed to be action figures. I'm not into building models... that's why I don't collect stuff like Gundam. I collect Transformers because I want to play with them, not build them. And if a toy is gonna be in a "fixer upper" condition, then it should be discounted. To pay full retail price for a toy that is unable to perform its basic function(s) just isn't good enough, and as fans we ought to demand better standards from Hasbro and Takara.

Takara wasn't always like this either... their attention to quality started noticeably going downhill since they merged with Tomy in my observation. (>_>)

I don't like fixing my toys... I like playing with them. When I buy a toy, I want it ready to be played with as soon as I open it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for consumers to expect a product that they've purchased to be in proper working order. If a product is faulty, then the consumer is entitled to recompense from the retailer and/or manufacturer. Usually when I get a Transformer and there's some flaw in it, I'll take it back for a refund or exchange. However, if the problem is a design flaw, then I can either refund it or cop it on the chin and keep the toy - but you can bet I won't be happy about it.

Look at Offshoot's inability to attach to Rodimus' engine block... that's complete bollocks. The back of the box states that Offshoot can attach to the vehicle mode and the photo illustrates that it's attached to the engine block. The instructions also show that you can attach Offshoot on the engine -- but it can't because the handle is too short. That's just fcuked up. Just as well I like the rest of the toy enough to keep it... cos otherwise you can bet your asteroid that I would've refunded it. And that flaw remains my greatest criticism of the toy. Perhaps there's a way to modify or replace the handle to make it fit... but I shouldn't have to. I paid eighty fecking dollars for Chrissakes.

These aren't meant to be model kits, they're supposed to be action figures. I'm not into building models... that's why I don't collect stuff like Gundam. I collect Transformers because I want to play with them, not build them. And if a toy is gonna be in a "fixer upper" condition, then it should be discounted. To pay full retail price for a toy that is unable to perform its basic function(s) just isn't good enough, and as fans we ought to demand better standards from Hasbro and Takara.

Takara wasn't always like this either... their attention to quality started noticeably going downhill since they merged with Tomy in my observation. (>_>)

Goktimus- Offshoot DOES connect to Rodimus's engine block. Just flip up the tab on the engine block and use the other grey tab on Offshoot (that's not the gun handle)and plug it into to hole on the engine. Trust me, it does work. Speaking of Offshoot, mine came with the gun handle on BACKWARDS!!! Since it uses the metal pin instead of a screw I'm kind of "screwed" regarding fixing it. Rodimus can't hold it that way either. I'm going to try to send a sob story e-mail to Hasbro to see if they can send me a replacement. Grrrrrr......

And if a toy is gonna be in a "fixer upper" condition, then it should be discounted.

Which is why I really don't mind the flaws. I got mine for around $50-$60 cheaper than I would've payed otherwise because of BBTS's clearance sale.

I'm going to try to send a sob story e-mail to Hasbro to see if they can send me a replacement. Grrrrrr......

Good luck on that one. I sent them an email detailing the fubar bot that is animated sunstorm. Even with crappy paint all round and floppy joints in every limb (at least the ones that weren't actually assembled wrong), the best Hasbro could tell me is boo hoo and they cannot offer replacements on exclusive items and could only offer me a "similarly priced item."

Goktimus- Offshoot DOES connect to Rodimus's engine block. Just flip up the tab on the engine block and use the other grey tab on Offshoot (that's not the gun handle)and plug it into to hole on the engine. Trust me, it does work. Speaking of Offshoot, mine came with the gun handle on BACKWARDS!!! Since it uses the metal pin instead of a screw I'm kind of "screwed" regarding fixing it. Rodimus can't hold it that way either. I'm going to try to send a sob story e-mail to Hasbro to see if they can send me a replacement. Grrrrrr......

Yeah, someone told me about this last night - but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Cheers. :)

Which is why I really don't mind the flaws. I got mine for around $50-$60 cheaper than I would've payed otherwise because of BBTS's clearance sale.

Okay, but that's due to your personal circumstance (call it luck if you want). But objectively speaking one should judge the toy based on its standard retail price rather than a discounted price or maybe even an inflated after market price. For example, I got Darth Vader/Star Destroyer for $29.99, $50 cheaper than its $79.99 RRP... and while I'm quite happy with the toy for what I paid, I'll definitely admit that it's otherwise NOT worth it's RRP. Ditto Combiner Class Devastator... I got that toy on sale and even then I felt royally ripped off. I'm satisfied with my Transformer Animorph toys, but I got 'em for free. ;) (no way I'd pay for those awful toys)

I'm going to try to send a sob story e-mail to Hasbro to see if they can send me a replacement. Grrrrrr......

Good luck on that one. I sent them an email detailing the fubar bot that is animated sunstorm. Even with crappy paint all round and floppy joints in every limb (at least the ones that weren't actually assembled wrong), the best Hasbro could tell me is boo hoo and they cannot offer replacements on exclusive items and could only offer me a "similarly priced item."

Guh... when I got MP Convoy he was missing a small panel -- Takara jumped over backwards to send me a replacement part from Tokyo to Sydney within 3 working days (and even gave me free goodies as an apology).

Yeah, someone told me about this last night - but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Cheers. :)

Okay, but that's due to your personal circumstance (call it luck if you want). But objectively speaking one should judge the toy based on its standard retail price rather than a discounted price or maybe even an inflated after market price. For example, I got Darth Vader/Star Destroyer for $29.99, $50 cheaper than its $79.99 RRP... and while I'm quite happy with the toy for what I paid, I'll definitely admit that it's otherwise NOT worth it's RRP. Ditto Combiner Class Devastator... I got that toy on sale and even then I felt royally ripped off. I'm satisfied with my Transformer Animorph toys, but I got 'em for free. ;) (no way I'd pay for those awful toys)

Guh... when I got MP Convoy he was missing a small panel -- Takara jumped over backwards to send me a replacement part from Tokyo to Sydney within 3 working days (and even gave me free goodies as an apology).

Well, I guess it can't hurt to try. I'll let you guys know if I'm successful in getting a properly assembled Offshoot. Wish me luck!

I'm not sure I should chime in at this point or not but screw it. I finally found RP at a local TRU and as luck would have it, it was a return and had been opened. I hope someone did not buy him and then return the package with the Takara one that has from what I have read here various small annoying issues with the fig*. I doubt it is but whatever the case is, Rodi-pants is a 60 buck semi-failure IMO. I can barely keep the lower leg panels closed, the chest wants to un-peg and get floppy, the backpack is just as bad and I *think* the two pistols that form the rifle will not stay together(but I think that one might just be on me).

Granted I'm bitching about it and I agree with the earlier sentiments of not having to do maintenance on a toy right out of the package. Especially when you cross the 50 dollar mark and it being a MP class, even it is a Hasbro MP, granted, my MP's Grimlock and Optimus are stateside versions and are very well done and a far cry from what RP is at this point in time. But I will say I do get some modest satisfaction from modding them as well, it adds a personal touch to them, but that's about as good as it gets. I just was really hoping he was not as bad as I had read(at least for the Hasbro version). Ugh.

Suffice it to say I could have left him setting on the shelf and walked away but I had doubts about finding him so I took a gamble, and so far the gamble has been against better odds. And no I'm not returning it because the TRU I was at, and it being the closest, was over an hour away coupled with feeling like I also need to vanquish the QC demon in this MP of RP lest I go craZy.

So yeah, my .02 with some stank on it.

*EDIT'd

Thanks to Goktimus and his recent post in the The Takhasbro Rodimus Thread, I see I do have the Hasbro version.

Archived