How many Transformers do you have?

Goktimus Prime

Transformers Collection Survey 2011  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many Transformers do you have? (UCM)

• 100 or less
    • 1000 or more

Still counting 3rd party Gok, Consider this, there has been less then 40 actual 3rd party figures made, So really there is no difference, whether they are counted or not.

As I said before, it only matters if it effects the way you'd vote. If it doesn't make a difference, then I don't care.

For example if someone has say 100 licensed Transformers and 40 unlicensed Transformers (3rd party); the total becomes 140 which rounds down to 100 anyway, so that person would have to vote on "100 or less." In this case, counting unlicensed Transformers, while technically in violation of the UCM, hasn't effected the way this person has voted on the poll thus it doesn't effect the survey data. But say if another person has 110 licensed Transformers and counts 40 unlicensed Transformers, that brings their total to 150, which rounds up to 200. If that person votes on "200" then they're spoiling the data (and thus rendering it useless).

As far as the UCM goes though it doesn't count anyway. All this is, is to get an idea.

Please read the Pre-Amble.

PREAMBLE

"How many Transformers do you have?"

"What's the size of an average Transformer collection?"

These are questions that we often hear as Transformer collectors.

The Universal Counting Method was created to allow fans to:

1. Participate in collection count surveys.

2. Provide a FAIR way to compare collection sizes.

Nothing is official anyway

From the Preamble:

"The Universal Counting Method has not been officially endorsed by Hasbro Inc or TakaraTOMY Co., Ltd. It has been made by fans for fans. This system is not necessarily intended to replace everyone's personal preference for classification and counting - you can count your Transformers however you want to. But if you want to compare your collection count with others or participate in a collection count survey then you need to ensure that you and others are counting by the same method to make the comparison or results FAIR. The Universal Counting Method exists as a pre-made method that you can choose to use for such purposes."

----------------------

This isn't about "right" or "wrong" - it's just about fairness. And in all fairness, everyone HAS to be counting according to the same standard in order to make the results fair for comparison. Please do NOT attempt to sabotage this project which I've been conducting for five years now by violating the UCM where such violation would change the way you vote in the survey.

You can count all your unlicensed Transformers in your own personal counting method, but for the purposes of this survey then they don't count. It's really quite simple. If you don't like this rule, then just choose not to participate in the survey. As I said in the first post of this thread, "Participation is voluntary - but if you choose to "play the game" then you need to stick by the rules of the game. If you don't like the rules, then don't play."

Imagine if you were playing a sport, like say football (soccer) - and let's say you disagree with the off-side rule. And so you decide to play off-side. The referee tells you not to do it, but you proceed to go ahead and play off-side then score a goal for your team while off side. There's no way an off-side goal would be counted by the referee... now here I can't really enforce the rules of this "game" -- I am TRUSTING you and relying on everyone's honesty... cos I'm assuming that we're all adults here.

Thank you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's official rules this isn't.

And I don't even remember when this UCM even came into existence or a website that keeps track of it all. Got a link to it?

That's official rules this isn't.

Yes they are. They're the official rules for this annual survey project. If you don't like the rules, then don't participate.

It's all explained in Post #1 of this thread.

And I don't even remember when this UCM even came into existence or a website that keeps track of it all. Got a link to it?

The history of this project is explained in Post #1. You can use this board's search function to search more... here are some results I found after a quick search:

"How should we officially count our Transformers?" (21 July 2006) - four different counting methods were presented, everyone argued, then someone (may have been on another forum) suggested that I should just let the people decide on a common counting system. A system created by the people for the people. That way nobody could accuse me of imposing any individual's method over the community. Sounded like a cool idea (democracy FTW right?).

So this led to the creation of a "common system of counting" (later to be dubbed the "Universal Counting Method"). There have been a LOT of polls conducted across several different Transformer communities (not just TFormers)... and in multiple languages... but anyway, here are some of the early polls here on TFormers:

Should Nebulans, Action Master Partners & Pretender Shells count? (1 August 2006)

How should Micromasters and Mini-Cons be counted? (2 August 2006)

How should we count Gestalts? (3 August 2006)

...etc etc.

In all there were about 20 or more poll threads, I'm not gonna dig them all up for you - you can find them yourself if you want. These polls spanned throughout the rest of 2006 and into 2007 and the rules for the UCM were based on the results of those polls. The only exception is Article01 which is based on the legal definition of a Transformer toy - i.e. it must be something manufactured under licence from Hasbro Inc. and/or Takara(TOMY) Co, Ltd. and explicitly sold and marketed as part of the Transformers brand/franchise. That's not an arbitrary opinion, that's a legal fact. The polls were all about debating the subjective and arbitrary opinion-based stuff on how to count everything within that legally factual definition.

P.S.: can we please have no more posts debating the validity of the UCM or this survey project?? I kindly asked everyone NOT to do this back in Post #1. Any attempts to do so will be deemed as trolling and will reported to board staff. If you really strongly want to ask questions about it -- PM me. But please don't derail this thread any further. Questions seeking CLARIFICATION on how to count toys according to the UCM are welcome, but no more questions about the UCM itself on this thread.

Thank you.

Sorry but where is the link to your website that houses this thing? Wouldn't it be fair for everyone to be able to see it whenever thy want?

IAnd people are going to count how they want to count, you should know no one is going to follow 100% your method

Sorry but where is the link to your website that houses this thing? Wouldn't it be fair for everyone to be able to see it whenever thy want?

The UCM was a community decided and discussed method that originated on TFans. If you weren't involved in its creation and do not like the method, I can understand but if you don't like the method, don't participate. Its that simple really.

As far as doubles, I don't even count them as technically being in my collection, and I track that on Shmax even though it is possible to add doubles. I do count certain doubles, such as the two different head mold versions I have for G1 Brawn, but I don't count my 12 G1 Kickbacks as 12 figures. That has nothing to do with the UCM at all either because they aren't even in my regular collection. And some of my other doubles are considered BST product and thus not technically in my collection either.

Anyways, when you want to start talking about adding Third Party toys into the mix, then that would mean I would be allowed to include Space Wars Gigatron, 2-in-1 Robot Fighter and Beet-Gugal in the listing. But even tho they look like Transformers just like your "Third Party" ones do, they still aren't Transformers. Now if you want to be constructive and help develop a UCM for "Transforming Toys" then that is another story.

P.S.: can we please have no more posts debating the validity of the UCM or this survey project?? I kindly asked everyone NOT to do this back in Post #1. Any attempts to do so will be deemed as trolling and will reported to board staff. If you really strongly want to ask questions about it -- PM me. But please don't derail this thread any further. Questions seeking CLARIFICATION on how to count toys according to the UCM are welcome, but no more questions about the UCM itself on this thread.

I'd request a topic split to take these "discussion" posts and make a "UCM Discussion Thread" instead. But likely, further years should have your 3 threads as Poll only, and then make a Discuss thread. So have four threads like this:

How many TF you have 2011 (under 100) poll only

How many TF you have 2011 (100-999) poll only

How many TF you have 2011 (1000+) poll only

Annual UCM Discussion Thread 2011

Something like that.

Tripredacus, the main thing I'm saying is this thing is outdated, with the acceptance of 3rd party into Transformers along with some of the more recent creations from Habsro and Takara. really this needs to be updated. And span more then just a few sites

My handy-dandy spreadsheet tells me I have 773 TFs per the UCM, not counting about 120 Robot Heroes, Robot Replicas, KOs, small Tianiums, etc.

Tripredacus, the main thing I'm saying is this thing is outdated, with the acceptance of 3rd party into Transformers along with some of the more recent creations from Habsro and Takara. really this needs to be updated. And span more then just a few sites

This count is for officially branded Transformers figures. Thats why no one adds Gobots into their counts or any other lame attempt at transforming figures. Why should third party borderline knock off's get counted in and not those?

This is just for fun as part of the hobby.

Archived