How many Transformers do you have?

Goktimus Prime

Transformers Collection Survey 2011  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many Transformers do you have? (UCM)

• 100 or less
    • 1000 or more

:alert Please Read Carefully Before Voting or Posting on this Thread! :alert

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I count my Transformers for this poll?

In order to participate in this poll, you are required to count your Transformers as best you can according to the Universal Counting Method (UCM) - see below. You then round your count to the nearest hundred and vote accordingly.

What is the purpose of this poll?

To determine the average size of a Transformers collector's collection and observe any changes year by year. Like so:

collectionsurveycomparison.jpg

Who made the Universal Counting Method?

The UCM was not made by any individual Transformers collector, but rather by the community. In 2006 and 2007 a series of polls was conducted among TF collectors from around the world deciding on what people thought should and shouldn't count in a common method of counting Transformers. The articles in the UCM are based on the results of those polls. There have been a few new polls since then, and the articles in the UCM continue to reflect what the majority of participants voted for. Thus the UCM is based on a majority consensus.

What if I don't agree with one or some of the rules of the UCM?

Whether you agree with all of the rules or not is up to you. Not everyone will agree with all the rules in the UCM - not even I agree with all of the rules, but the rules are based on a majority consensus. If you choose to participate in this survey, then you are required to adhere to the Universal Counting Method, whether you personally agree with all of the rules or not.

Can the rules of the Universal Counting Method be changed?

No. That would render the data from previous years' surveys useless for comparison. Rules can be clarified as new toy concepts come in. In most cases the existing rules can cover new stuff, but in exceptional cases where it cannot, then a new poll will be formulated to create a new rule - but the existing rules cannot be changed.

I don't like this. I don't even agree with this survey thing.

Then you're welcome not to participate! This annual survey is completely voluntary. Nobody is forcing anyone to participate in this project and count according to the UCM if they don't want to. If you choose to participate in this survey, then you also choose to accept the rules of the survey - if you don't like the rules, then just don't get involved.

I have less than 100 Transformers, or I have over 1000 Transformers - yet this poll only adequately counts collections numbering between 100 to 1000 toys. How are collections smaller than 100 or larger than 1000 more accurately represented?

There will be two parallel polls have been set up. Anyone who clicks on "100 or less" or "1000 or more" will be required to also vote on the relevant parallel poll so that more accurate information about collection sizes in those categories may be obtained.

For example, here's last year's results for collections under 100:

2010survey_100.jpg

And for collections over 1000:

2010survey_1000.jpg

* :bounce If you have voted on "100 or less" then please proceed to vote on the less than 100 poll

* :bounce If you have voted on "1000 or more" then please proceed to vote on the more than 1000 poll

----------------------------------------------------------

:alert Please do NOT troll this thread by posting any criticisms or vents against the Universal Counting Method or the annual poll project, or how much you disagree with the UCM rules etc. -- if you don't like this sort of thing, then just walk away from this thread. :deadhorse

Participation is voluntary - but if you choose to "play the game" then you need to stick by the rules of the game. If you don't like the rules, then don't play.

Thank you. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

:justprime: THE UNIVERSAL COUNTING METHOD :justprime:

PREAMBLE

"How many Transformers do you have?"

"What's the size of an average Transformer collection?"

These are questions that we often hear as Transformer collectors.

The Universal Counting Method was created to allow fans to:

1. Participate in collection count surveys.

2. Provide a fair way to compare collection sizes.

The definition of what should and shouldn't count as a "Transformer" in one's collection count greatly varies between individuals collectors depending on individual opinions which makes it ineffectual for individuals to compare collection sizes or effectively participate in surveys if every collector has a different method of classifying and counting Transformers.

For example, imagine 2 Transformer collectors. They both own 2 G1 Seaspray toys in their collections. That's all. Transfan A decides that doubles count whereas Transfan B decides that they don't. Thus Transfan A considers himself as owning 2 Transformers whereas Transfan B considers herself as owning 1 Transformer. Despite the fact that both of these collectors own the exact same toys in the exact same quantities, Transfan A's collection count is 100% larger than Transfan B's simply because of discrepancies in their counting method. Now imagine this discrepancy on a larger scale when comparing collectors whose collection count would number in tens, hundreds or over a thousand and you can see that the disparity exponentially increases making collection size comparisons grossly unfair and rendering any data gathered from surveys about collection sizes useless.

Due to the arbitrary nature of Transformer classification, it is not possible to formulate a single system of counting that everyone would completely agree with.

As a result, during 2006 and 2007 a series of polls were conducted over numerous Transformer forums with collectors from various countries voting on what they considered to be the "correct" way of classifying and counting Transformer toys, and thus the Universal Counting Method was born based on the results of majority votes.

It is a counting method made by the people for the people. Is it the "best" counting method? There's no real way to answer that because we all have different opinions on what is the "best" or "correct" way of classifying and counting Transformers. But considering that each Article in the Universal Counting Method is based on majority votes, I believe that it is at least the fairest method of counting Transformers for the purposes of comparing collection sizes and participating in surveys.

The Universal Counting Method has not been officially endorsed by Hasbro Inc or TakaraTOMY Co., Ltd. It has been made by fans for fans. This system is not necessarily intended to replace everyone's personal preference for classification and counting - you can count your Transformers however you want to. But if you want to compare your collection count with others or participate in a collection count survey then you need to ensure that you and others are counting by the same method to make the comparison or results fair. The Universal Counting Method exists as a pre-made method that you can choose to use for such purposes.

---------------------------------

* ARTICLE 1: What Is A Transformer?

A Transformer is legally defined as any product created under licence from Hasbro Inc. and/or Takara(Tomy) Co., Ltd under the "Transformers?" logo. As a result:

1/ Pre-Transformers do not count as Transformers. Although they may have been manufactured by Takara, they were NOT done so under the Transformers? logo.

2/ Knock-Offs/Bootlegs do not count as Transformers. They are not manufactured by Hasbro or Takara(Tomy) and they are certainly not released under licence from HasTak.

3/ Any other kind of non-Transformer transforming robot toy that's not really a Transformer does not count as a Transformer. This includes your Macross, Gobots (Machine Men), Machine Robo etc. - again, if the toy is not manufactured under HasTak licence under the "Transformers?" logo then it doesn't count. It's as easy as that.

* ARTICLE 02: Nebulans, Master Robots, Motorvator partners, Pretender/Crossformer/Dinoforce shells and Action Master partners and vehicles do not count separately. e.g.:

- Triggerhappy & Blowpipe = 1 Transformer

- Landmine & his Pretender shell = 1 Transformer

- Action Master Sideswipe and Vanguard = 1 Transformer -- in total these all count as 3 Transformers.

- For the purposes of this poll, Barricade's Frenzy will also not count as separate Transformers under this article's definition.

* ARTICLE 03: Micromasters and Mini-Cons count individually. e.g.:

- A complete Air Strike Patrol = 4 Transformers (Whisper, Tailwind, Stormcloud & Nightflight)

- A complete Mini-Con Air Defence Team = 3 Transformers (Sonar, Jetstorm & Runway)

- Hot Shot & Jolt = 2 Transformers

- Overload & Rollout = 2 Transformers -- in total these all count as 11 Transformers.

* ARTICLE 04: Only the component members of a Gestalt team count. e.g.:

- Devastator = 6 Transformers (6 Constructicons)

- Superion = 5 Transformers (5 Aerialbots) -- in total these all count as 11 Transformers.

* ARTICLE 05: Individual combiner robots count individually but multi-in-1 components do not. e.g.:

- A complete Constructor Squad = 6 Transformers

- Battletrap = 1 Transformer (not 2)

- Magmatron = 1 Transformer (not 3) -- in total these all count as 8 Transformers.

* ARTICLE 06: Bases do not count. e.g.:

- 1984 Optimus Prime = 1 Transformer (combat deck doesn't count separately)

- Airwave = 1 Transformer (his Micromaster Station doesn't count separately)

- BW Diver = 1 Transformer (Niagara Base doesn't count separately) -- in total these 3 Transformers are belong to us.

* ARTICLE 07: "Peripheral" Transformers, drones and pilots/drivers do not count. e.g.:

- Metroplex = 1 Transformer (Scamper, Six Gun and Slammer don't count)

- 1984 Optimus Prime = 1 Transformer (Roller doesn't count separately)

- Luke Skywalker/X-Wing Fighter = 1 Transformer (Luke Skywalker pilot doesn't count separately)

- BTA Alert = 1 Transformer (Kuruma Ai doesn't count separately) -- in total these are 4 Transformers.

- Blackout's Scorponok figurine will also not count as separate Transformers under this article's definition.

* ARTICLE 08: Decoys, Statues, busts, PVCs, meal/candy toys, kits etc. do not count. e.g.:

- Super Collection Figures don't count

- Mega Collection Figures don't count

- Mighty Muggs don't count

- Be@rbricks don't count

* ARTICLE 09: Variants count. e.g.:

- Red and yellow Cliffjumper = 2 Transformers.

- Original 1984, Classic reissue, Takara reissue, Ghost Starscream and TFC reissue Starscream = 5 Transformers -- in total 7 Transformers

* ARTICLE 10: Multiples count. e.g.:

- 2 Seasprays = 2 Transformers.

* ARTICLE 11: Only the transformable 15cm Titanium Series Transformers count.

* ARTICLE 12: Transformer Juniors and "non-mainline" Transformers count.

e.g. Choro-Q Transformers Revoltech Transformers, Transformers etc. count.

* ARTICLE 13: Microman Transformer humans count. e.g.: Kicker, Ga'Mede.

* ARTICLE 14: PlaySkool Transformers count.

* ARTICLE 15: Quintessons, Beastformers and Build-figures count. e.g.:

- Alpha Quintesson = 1 Transformer

- White Leo = 1 Transformer (NOTE: Battle Beasts do not count as Beastformers and thus do not count as Transformers)

- Transmutate = 1 Transformer -- in total 3 Transformers

* ARTICLE 16: Transformers Plushies count.

* ARTICLE 17: All transforming movie Transformers count (e.g.: Cyber Slammers, Fast Action Battlers) but non-transforming movie Transformers do not (e.g.: Robot Replicas, Beatmix Bumblebee).

* ARTICLE 18: Loose and sealed Transformers are counted in the same way.

e.g.: A Micromaster Combiner Squad counts as 6 Transformers regardless of being sealed or loose

* ARTICLE 19: Only Transformers in C-6 condition or above count

i.e.: junkers don't count but anything that's not a junker counts.

Most toys that you find on eBay etc are C-6. They are in reasonably fine to good condition and are mostly in tact. They are not missing any major parts and are not too heavily worn with no significant damage. Gimmicks are still operational. They may or may not come with accessories, depending on the nature of the toy. They should come with any major accessories - so a Headmaster or Targetmaster would only be considered C-6 if it has its Nebulan partner. In the case of a Maximus, it needs to have at least the "Cerebros" component, because it can still form the basic robot mode w/o "Spike."

* ARTICLE 20: Customs and kitbashes count. Remember that under ARTICLE01 only Transformers manufactured under licence from Hasbro and/or Takara(TOMY) and specifically marketed as part of the Transformers brand count, therefore only customs/kitbashes constructed entirely from legitimate TF products count.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still counting 3rd Party :P

Please don't. The entire point of having a common system of counting is to ensure consistent results. Look, in all honesty - do your count. Then see what your count's like if you subtract your 3rd party stuff. Because we're rounding off to the nearest hundred, if including the 3rd party stuff doesn't effect your result... then whatever. But if it DOES, then do not include them. Because otherwise it's unfair to everyone else who may have 3rd party toys but aren't including them as you'd be "artificially" inflating the average collection number.

For example, I have one 3rd party toy (I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me). I don't include it, but if I did it would increase my UCM count from 1507 to 1508. This means that in the primary poll I'd still vote "1000 or more" and in the secondary poll I'd still vote on "1500" since the secondary poll for 'Over 1000' rounds off to the nearest 500.

But let's say someone has a collection of 917 under UCM and so rounds it down to 900 and votes accordingly in the primary poll. Now let's say this person has 50 3rd party toys and counts them - suddenly his total count becomes 967, so he rounds it up to 1000 and votes on "1000 or more" then goes and votes in the secondary poll for Over 1000s!! :eek Another person is a similar situation follows the UCM correctly so does NOT include his 3rd Party toys, and votes on 900 instead. Two collectors with the same number of toys who should have voted for the same poll option, have voted differently because one person decided not to follow the rules and allow his 3rd party toys to inflate his collection numbers beyond what the UCM allows.

So like I said -- IF including your 3rd party toys would make you vote differently than if you didn't include them, then do NOT include them. Otherwise... well, I don't want to know. :P

Please follow the UCM as best as you can and don't intentionally bend the rules, because that defeats the entire point of the project and it would render this year's results incomparable with previous years. You would be undoing YEARS of research. If you don't like counting by the UCM, then just don't participate in this project - but if you choose to participate in this project, then you hereby agree to count under the conditions of the UCM. Thank you.

I never figure in doubles when I vote.

I'm gonna tell you the same thing I told Lord_Onslaught -- if including your doubles effects your vote, then you must include them. I don't like to include doubles either - it's one of the rules of the UCM that I quite disagree with. Same with counting PCC Mini-Cons, I don't like that either. But the majority of people voted for them to count... so they count. Please respect the consensus of the majority as well as the entire purpose of this project and vote accordingly.

The annual survey has always been voluntary - if you don't like adhering to the UCM, then just don't participate. If your number of doubles is small enough that it wouldn't effect your poll vote... then this conversation never happened. ;)

I Hit and surpassed the 1000 mark when DotM toys hit shelves...in fact my 100th figure was Cyberverse Powerglide.

So you've acquired over 900 toys since Cyberverse Powerglide, eh? ;) :P (you gotta admit, that's a pretty funny typo)

i'm looking forward to getting home and figuring out what i have. or atlas trying to. i have a bunch of stuff in boxes that aren't labeled so who knows how accurate my count will be.

Time to take 'em out of the box and start doing a head count! :D Feel free to speak in the voice of the Count from Sesame Street as you do it. :) (thunder sound effect may not be included)

Still counting 3rd party Gok, Consider this, there has been less then 40 actual 3rd party figures made, So really there is no difference, whether they are counted or not.

As far as the UCM goes though it doesn't count anyway. All this is, is to get an idea. Nothing is official anyway

At least I'm not counting the my oversized KO's :P

I Hit and surpassed the 1000 mark when DotM toys hit shelves...in fact my 100th figure was Cyberverse Powerglide.

So you've acquired over 900 toys since Cyberverse Powerglide, eh? ;) :P (you gotta admit, that's a pretty funny typo)

Fixed and yeah it is sorta funny, heh.

i'm looking forward to getting home and figuring out what i have. or atlas trying to. i have a bunch of stuff in boxes that aren't labeled so who knows how accurate my count will be.

Time to take 'em out of the box and start doing a head count! :D Feel free to speak in the voice of the Count from Sesame Street as you do it. :) (thunder sound effect may not be included)

I want to reorganize all the stuff i have in storage anyways. I have a ton a of boxes from work that are all the same size i want to put them in and i have figures i want to put back in their storage until i buy my house and move it. then they will all come back out! lots of fun stuff. lets party.

Archived