Editorial - Why Don Murphy Suggesting Another Transformers Trilogy But Not a Reboot Makes Sense

Peter_Van

Great! I can't wait 'til two-or-three movies down the road when we get Ultra Power-Core MechAlliance Cyber Stealth Upside-down Strawberry Frosted Bumblebee (with Kung-Fu grip).

The best part is that it'll just be a repaint of the '07 voyager Bumblebee.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry Unicron wont be in the next Trilogy. And your childhood was already raped by Beast Machines and Armada

The fandom has done far, far, far worse to my childhood than anything Bay or Hasbro has done. I mean, ever see some of the 'art' or read some of the fic out there?

The difference is that Fan-fics and Fan-art aren't official and with care and tact they can be avoided or ignored. They will never, and can never influence Hasbro's choices as to what direction the franchise takes as a whole.

On the other hand,

Optimus Back-stabbing Megatron and then ripping his flipping spine out

is now official canon, and I find that disgusting.

I used to just dislike Bay, but anyone who would have the character who is supposed to be the Moral Compass of the franchise do something THAT Murderous, and THAT sociopathic in a film that's obviously going to attract tons of underage kids is evil, evil, EVIL.

It's not even necessarily the fact that he chose to Execute him, its the WAY he chose to execute him... it's not like a weighty decision, it's not "For the Greater Good" it's just blood-lust, and I find that down-right disturbing.

Don't worry Unicron wont be in the next Trilogy. And your childhood was already raped by Beast Machines and Armada

The fandom has done far, far, far worse to my childhood than anything Bay or Hasbro has done. I mean, ever see some of the 'art' or read some of the fic out there?

The difference is that Fan-fics and Fan-art aren't official and with care and tact they can be avoided or ignored. They will never, and can never influence Hasbro's choices as to what direction the franchise takes as a whole.

On the other hand,

I used to just dislike Bay, but anyone who would have the character who is supposed to be the Moral Compass of the franchise do something THAT Murderous, and THAT sociopathic in a film that's obviously going to attract tons of underage kids is evil, evil, EVIL.

The difference is, Prime's behavior in the movie has done nothing to my childhood. In fact, nothing in the movies has done anything to my childhood. Except bring tons of money into something I've been a part of since I was 6.

On the other hand,

The difference is, Prime's behavior in the movie has done nothing to my childhood. In fact, nothing in the movies has done anything to my childhood. Except bring tons of money into something I've been a part of since I was 6.

*Strokes Chin* Okay, NOW I understand what we're talking about here...

And ya know what? You're really right! Every time I see a picture of g1 Prime like... making out with Megatron or some such nonsense? a little piece of me dies inside, as well.

It is disgusting, I agree whole heartedly; at least the movies aren't ruining the image of G1. I apologize for getting worked up over your comment.

But the ending of DOTM is still evil, evil, evil in my opinion, so I guess the movies aren't really destroying my childhood so much as they are my adulthood. :tfgrin

See that's where I think people get worked up over every new incarnation of Transformers. It's not G1. I always take each new TF property as it's own thing and not an adaption of G1, because it isn't. It may homage, but it's not G1. Even the G1 that is ongoing, isn't the same. Know why? Because your not 8 anymore.

Of course the last movie did heavily borrow from the old cartoon.

See that's where I think people get worked up over every new incarnation of Transformers. It's not G1. I always take each new TF property as it's own thing and not an adaption of G1, because it isn't. It may homage, but it's not G1. Even the G1 that is ongoing, isn't the same. Know why? Because your not 8 anymore.

Of course the last movie did heavily borrow from the old cartoon.

:agree

I've been saying this also. The Movie Verse is its own thing. The problem is most of the Fanboys out there think that every new thing is suppose to be G1 and its not. Does the movie Optimus go a little extreme? Yes, but as a hardened fighter, he sees it as no choice. He has been fighting this war for as long as he can remember. So not only would he kill Megatron. He will do it in a way to make a statement to the Decepticons.

That that's it, you want to keep going? Then let's go the gloves are off! War is brutal, War is horrible. I've seem some of the stuff it causes first hand. And I will tell you War is the ugliest thing on this planet.

But back to Prime, there is nothing evil about what he did. Two sides fighting for so long, causing the destruction of his world. Don't you think you yourself would be a little extreme in how you deal with the ones who caused it? Even though Prime himself had a hand in it. He believes that if it weren't for the Decepticons. Cybertron would still be a beautiful living world

Facts are facts. War is ugly, you don't take prisoners unless you can afford to, and if you can't you execute them. Because you cant afford the liability. If your fighting for your life and the lives of others, your going to stop the other guy regardless how it looks. That's the difference in the fantasy of OP sacrificing himself over a video game in the old Marvel comics and the reality of knowing some people will die. That's why so many war vets become alcoholics or need a lot of therapy. They have to live with what they did/saw. I mean, let somebody point a gun at you or your loved ones. Stop and think for just one second how worried your going to be about how you look while your trying to stop them, and honestly how you would stop yourself from killing them. That's right, you just fight and later have to live with what happened.

The movies are intended to be realistic, or as realistic a movie about living alien robots from outer space that disguise themselves as everyday objects can be. That's why their is so many fluids and NEST constantly refers to them as aliens, because it helps the general audience accept that these are aliens and not a Megazord. That's why OP is so grumpy in the movies. Stop and think about it for a second, if you lived his life, would you be chipper?

You know, I've been asking this since the late 90's. Why is it Transformers isn't allowed to grow and change over time, but everything else is? People can accept Batman, or say Star Wars novels, but let Transformers move on from OP and the gang hanging out with Spike looking exactly like they did after school in 85, and shit hits the fan. I was called a sheep for liking BW/BM/RID/AEC/ANYTHING THE NAME CALLER DIDN'T LIKE, SO OBVIOUSLY I WAS THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM RIGHT and the same for the movies. I love Transformers and can accept that my childhood is over. I grew up literally with Transformers watching them change as I changed. Do I like everything? No, of course not. But I can accept that and focus my attention on other aspects of Transformers, instead of taking the time to hate on something I don't like. Because, what is the point of that? This is what I do for fun.

I guess what I'm saying, in a semi sort of ranting way is, the movies are not G1 nor were they ever intended to be. If you don't like them, that's all fine and perfectly reasonable, so don't waste your time with them and focus on what you do like. It's not like there isn't alternatives out there.

Facts are facts. War is ugly, you don't take prisoners unless you can afford to, and if you can't you execute them. Because you cant afford the liability. If your fighting for your life and the lives of others, your going to stop the other guy regardless how it looks. That's the difference in the fantasy of OP sacrificing himself over a video game in the old Marvel comics and the reality of knowing some people will die. That's why so many war vets become alcoholics or need a lot of therapy. They have to live with what they did/saw. I mean, let somebody point a gun at you or your loved ones. Stop and think for just one second how worried your going to be about how you look while your trying to stop them, and honestly how you would stop yourself from killing them. That's right, you just fight and later have to live with what happened.

The movies are intended to be realistic, or as realistic a movie about living alien robots from outer space that disguise themselves as everyday objects can be. That's why their is so many fluids and NEST constantly refers to them as aliens, because it helps the general audience accept that these are aliens and not a Megazord. That's why OP is so grumpy in the movies. Stop and think about it for a second, if you lived his life, would you be chipper?

You know, I've been asking this since the late 90's. Why is it Transformers isn't allowed to grow and change over time, but everything else is? People can accept Batman, or say Star Wars novels, but let Transformers move on from OP and the gang hanging out with Spike looking exactly like they did after school in 85, and shit hits the fan. I was called a sheep for liking BW/BM/RID/AEC/ANYTHING THE NAME CALLER DID'NT LIKE, SO OBVIOUSLY I WAS THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM RIGHT and the same for the movies. I love Transformers and can accept that my childhood is over. I grew up literally with Transformers watching them change as I changed. Do I like everything? No, of course not. But I can accept that and focus my attention on other aspects of Transformers, instead of taking the time to hate on something I don't like. Because, what is the point of that? This is what I do for fun.

I guess what I'm saying, in a semi sort of ranting way is, the movies are not G1 nor were they ever intended to be. If you don't like them, that's all fine and perfectly reasonable, so don't waste your time with them and focus on what you do like. It's not like there isn't alternatives out there.

This is the best post I've read since DOTM came out. I agree wholeheartedly.

Archived