Editorial - Why Don Murphy Suggesting Another Transformers Trilogy But Not a Reboot Makes Sense

Peter_Van

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Rob as well. The only curve ball I'll throw in there is that Hasbro 'states' that they want consistency throughout the whole continuum. So I also find myself agreeing with Th4RL Deal. I don't expect OP to be G1 forever, but if you look at the rest of his incarnations (from BW/BM to TF:P) he's never been that violent. Even with the first 2 movies he wasn't that violent. I guess it's just a shock to the system.

Hasbro also has noted it could never be 100% perfect continuity. But, I do give them thumbs up for trying to make it less confusing.

I agree with Rob as well. The only curve ball I'll throw in there is that Hasbro 'states' that they want consistency throughout the whole continuum. So I also find myself agreeing with Th4RL Deal. I don't expect OP to be G1 forever, but if you look at the rest of his incarnations (from BW/BM to TF:P) he's never been that violent. Even with the first 2 movies he wasn't that violent. I guess it's just a shock to the system.

In the last two movies he wasn't dealing with an all out invasion like he was in DOTM. He was violent in the first two movies, granted he upped it a notch for DOTM. but when you don't have time to figure out how to kill your opponent you go with the most efficient and statement producing move you can. Hoping your enemies see what you did and back off giving you extra time to figure out how to stop them. I bet any Decepticon that saw what Prime did to Megatron would second guess himself before going after Prime or any of his allies again.

As a hardened warrior, Prime would not let what he did make him regret it until later when the fighting is done. Only to take solace in the fact that he did what he had to do to save lives.

He wasted no time with dealing with the threat of the Decepticons because he couldn't afford to. He had to go all out and when your cornered, that is exactly what you have to do.

Is this Prime more violent then G1 Prime? The fact of the matter is. It doesn't matter because Movie Prime is not G1 Prime. And this has been building since the first movie, about what Prime will go through to keep his friends and other sentient beings safe from the Decepticons. Even if it means going on a killing spree and killing Decepticons in interesting ways to save others. Putting himself in Harms way to save others. It is completely Obvious that Prime is no push over and he will take it as far as he has to, to make sure others are safe from the threat of the Decepticons.

As far as Hasbro stating that they want consistency throughout the continuum? When has that ever stopped them from changing everything. Blitz no offense but that is a myth. Hasbro knows Change is good, change brings in money. That is the real consistency they want, and I don't blame them

I think the melee weapons make Prime look more brutal and cruel than he is. That's why I said that laser guns make everything better. Actually, there has been a disturbing lack of laser guns in new sci-fi these days.

War may be ugly, but I doubt that scene was intended to accurately portray the brutality of war any more than the Fatalities in Mortal Kombat are supposed to portray the dangers of martial arts tournaments. The scene is there because people like to see the "bad guys" get theirs, and because audiences are never averse to a bit of the old Ultraviolence. I'm sure the fact that they're just CGI robots factored in there somewhere, too.

Still, G1 or not, one thing Movie Prime shares with EVERY Prime is that he's marketed to extremely young children and he's portrayed as a paragon of virtue, and as such there are probably lines you shouldn't cross. I agree that war is ugly and the realities of war are nothing like the movies, but this is a summer blockbuster based on a kids toyline, not Full Metal Jacket.

War may be ugly, but I doubt that scene was intended to accurately portray the brutality of war any more than the Fatalities in Mortal Kombat are supposed to portray the dangers of martial arts tournaments. The scene is there because people like to see the "bad guys" get theirs, and because audiences are never averse to a bit of the old Ultraviolence. I'm sure the fact that they're just CGI robots factored in there somewhere, too.

Still, G1 or not, one thing Movie Prime shares with EVERY Prime is that he's marketed to extremely young children and he's portrayed as a paragon of virtue, and as such there are probably lines you shouldn't cross. I agree that war is ugly and the realities of war are nothing like the movies, but this is a summer blockbuster based on a kids toyline, not Full Metal Jacket.

It may be based off of a kids toy line, however it is rated PG-13 and not G. So it could get away with it, and considering what Prime had done to Decepticons in the last 2 movie's How could anyone find this shocking? Prime didn't cross a line, there were no lines for him to cross. war is ugly, deal with it. Movie Prime is a bad ass when he has to be. Move nothing is going to change, So move on and enjoy the movie

I already weighed in on Optimus' actions (which I completely support) in another thread specifically about that matter so I won't repeat myself here.

What I'd like to know is, is anyone else offended when these whinerds start crying "Blah blah blah raped my childhood!"? 'Cause it sure offends me. Aside from being the saddest, most melodramatic drivel to pollute any thread it's posted in (to say nothing of the minds of the readers who have to look at it), it completely trivializes the horrendous crime of rape. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

The first time I saw that crap was with the Star Wars set when Phantom Menace came out. It's only grown more pathetic with the passage time. These people need to crawl out of their mothers basements and experience some real life for a change. Maybe then they'd have a little perspective when they start spouting off.

I already weighed in on Optimus' actions (which I completely support) in another thread specifically about that matter so I won't repeat myself here.

What I'd like to know is, is anyone else offended when these whinerds start crying "Blah blah blah raped my childhood!"? 'Cause it sure offends me. Aside from being the saddest, most melodramatic drivel to pollute any thread it's posted in (to say nothing of the minds of the readers who have to look at it), it completely trivializes the horrendous crime of rape. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

The first time I saw that crap was with the Star Wars set when Phantom Menace came out. It's only grown more pathetic with the passage time. These people need to crawl out of their mothers basements and experience some real life for a change. Maybe then they'd have a little perspective when they start spouting off.

I find it amusing myself, and it always gives me a laugh. Yes those of you who say it ruined your childhood I laugh at. Now the Extremist ones get old and tiring and you would hope they would just go away. And honestly anything new in Transformers did not rape or ruin your childhood. Maybe your adulthood but not your childhood.

And I do agree about moving out of your mothers basement and get some sun.

You know, for the same argument that's made about children seeing the movies, could be said for any other PG-13 movie with toy tie ins. Oh hey, Batman... Remember that scene where he broke the gangsters leg while questioning him in the Dark Knight? Or in the prior one where he terrorized a thug? Oh hey, Jurrasic Park, man those toys I just bought my kid sure did eat the crap outta everyone.

Raping of childhoods, well, a movie you saw as an adult has no effect on a childhood. Maybe man children, but still... Hissy fits don't change the cold hard facts of profit.

Also, like I said, if you don't like it's. That's understandable and in your right. But also remember as much as you dislike it, somebody else might and they'll defend it just as much as you'll damn it. That's their right and no matter what, nobody gets to change that.

Something just occurred to me, nobody ever complains when OP mowed down those Decepticons in the 86 movie. You know, when I play WFC and I'm playing OP, sure seems like a lot of killing. Lots of killing. But in the movie, shit hits the fan...

Archived