Where Are We Heading Next?

madman1366

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just hoping that someone who actually loves TFs will get their hands on the property next. That would be something. You could tell that the folks behind Animated loved the product and loved what they were doing. I do not get that sense from the Bayverse, however. I get it from the toy designers--I'd guess that they were having a blast. Everything else, however, just comes across as by-the-numbers and very corporate. That's just my impression, though.

What if a new faction of fans appears and gets upset over new Transformers that don't look like Bayformers?

You know that's exactly what going to happen. That's why I just accept each individual interpretation's style for what it is. Saves me some headache.

Happy Birthday by the way!

That is actually one of the more reasonable things I've seen another person other than myself post before. That's simply astounding!

Personally, I don't understand the need to always associate TF's to one generation or another. I didn't fall in love with g1...I fell in love with Transformers!

If it was something that transformed into a robot, I didn't care when I was a kid, I LOVED it! Robotech, Go-Bots, Voltron and even the giant robot shows Tranzor Z, Johnny Sokko, Starvengers whatever. Fighting robots rule! Hell I even liked Robot Jox!

Not much has changed. Though if Transformers had always been about re-creating one era then I would have gotten bored with it. Too many people crying g1 was tiring on me for a long time, especially just before the movies began. The cries about Megs not being a gun alone were enough to choke a horse.

I always found it ironic. Transformers are all about the concept of change and yet whenever the franchise undergoes a new evolution, there is always a group around to bitch about it. Usually the same people too!

I think there are some basic design elements that should exist across all Transfomers fiction. The most important of these is humanoid proportions for the robot mode.

I think the DOTM Crankcase toy is rather ugly, but I think it's kind of nice too. The alt-mode is solid, but it's the robot mode that is both ugly and good. It's good because the proportions are humanoid, like G1 Transformers.

I do try to be reasonable in my fandom. In the back of my mind there are always some G1 comparisons just because a good portion of my hobby ties back into fond childhood memories of the show and toys of the 80s.

More often though I find myself involuntarily comparing to whatever the previous show was. I'm getting better though. It only took me about fifteen minutes to stop all comparisons and just start enjoying TF Prime.

Then they killed Cliffjumper.

Not sure I can forgive them for that one, but at least I'm still judging based on the current continuity....

• 3 weeks later...

I want a Transformers movie that my kids can watch. I don't have so much a problem with the violence, plot(?) and characterisation(?), than I do with Bay's 'sense of humour'. That sort of thing's OK in Bad Boys, but not the sort of thing you want your 10-year old watching (well, not me anyway - I guess a lot of other parents aren't so fussed). I like some of Michael Bay's movies and I think he does awesome action scenes but I think they should have let him concentrate on blowing stuff up for the TF movies and let someone else handle the rest. I want a special version of the Bayverse Movies - a number of the 'funny' bits edited out and replaced with some dialogue, or even just a voice-over (perhaps Alpha Trion) explaining some of the plot background.

I've got mixed feelings about the next TF movie. On the one hand, I'd like a reboot, but it might not be so popular with the Bayverse fans, even if it is more true to G1. On the other, if we get a fourth Bay movie, I'll be looking forward to the action scenes topping the ones in the previous movie, but I'll be wary of the 'jokes'.

(I also don't want to find myself thinking again, 'With that kind of budget, they could have spent some more of it on the script').

I want to believe that people will go to a Transformers movie no matter what it looks like. I can't believe that the mass had a deep resentment for G1 in their subconscious for all of these years. I don't want Bayformers to be the epitome of what live-action Transformers are supposed to look like.

I want a Transformers movie that my kids can watch. I don't have so much a problem with the violence, plot(?) and characterisation(?), than I do with Bay's 'sense of humour'. That sort of thing's OK in Bad Boys, but not the sort of thing you want your 10-year old watching (well, not me anyway - I guess a lot of other parents aren't so fussed). I like some of Michael Bay's movies and I think he does awesome action scenes but I think they should have let him concentrate on blowing stuff up for the TF movies and let someone else handle the rest. I want a special version of the Bayverse Movies - a number of the 'funny' bits edited out and replaced with some dialogue, or even just a voice-over (perhaps Alpha Trion) explaining some of the plot background.

I've got mixed feelings about the next TF movie. On the one hand, I'd like a reboot, but it might not be so popular with the Bayverse fans, even if it is more true to G1. On the other, if we get a fourth Bay movie, I'll be looking forward to the action scenes topping the ones in the previous movie, but I'll be wary of the 'jokes'.

(I also don't want to find myself thinking again, 'With that kind of budget, they could have spent some more of it on the script').

We're in complete agreement on whether or not the Bayverse films are appropriate for kids. I couldn't believe how many young kids were taken to see DOTM (and ROTF, for that matter). Not appropriate at all.

And MikePrime: as much as I like the Bayverse designs, I really hope that whoever takes the ball from here on it does their own thing and we see the mythos continue to evolve in as many ways as possible. But I also don't want there to be an "epitome" of what a TF is supposed to look like. I'd just like to see them continue to grow and evolve and see what creative ideas people have floating around in their heads.

I like how Transformers continues to change itself, though yes I do have problems with a few of the series they have released over the years. Beast Machines, Armada, Energon, and Animated. Can all go in the trash as far as I am concerned and that is not from comparing it to G1 which I do not do. I accept that not everyone is going to like the same thing I myself am proof of that.

As far as the Movieverse goes, I'm actually amused by all the complaints about it. Don't get me wrong I am a G1 purist. However I do not allow myself to use G1 as a reason for anything I do not like in the Transformers Multiverse. But like I said I am amused by all the complaints about the movieverse and how the vast majority complain about Michael Bay. He did an excellent job with the Live Action movies. And I hope he does decide to do one more, but I don't see another Transformers Live Action movie on the horizon for some time. Since all the major players in it are leaving the franchise. I do hope Hasbro continues with some of the designs they made for the Live action. Those were awesome, ROTF Prime, Leader Starscream, Ironhide, Skyhammer, Stealth Bumblebee from the first movie. The designs brought a refreshing and a true reimagining of the Transformers Universe in a way none of us ever thought they would do and they are more realistic would be able to pass in the real world and I hope they continue it.

We're in complete agreement on whether or not the Bayverse films are appropriate for kids

A bit of subtle adult humour you can live with, but Bay seems to be pretty much an 'in-your-face' sort of guy.

I've kind of wondered exactly who the movies were aimed at. My conclusion was this - 'Kids, you can have the books, the comics and the toys. But the movies are for grown-ups only. Sorry.'

Saying that, while I occasionally used the fast-forward button on the remote during the first Bay Transformers movie when the kids were around, I was wishing for a super-fast-forward button when I watched ROTF on my own . (I keep thinking that there must be some way to fix some of the problems with ROTF, but I'm not sure how 'Revenge of the Fallen: The Director's Cut' would turn out. I've got a feeling the parts I really want to 'fix' the most are the ones Bay would want to keep.)

I'll have to see Dark of the Moon to see if my opinion of the films has improved. I wonder if years from now we'll see these films as more of a starting point or as a lost opportunity.

One idea I have for the next films is this - Why not have films (even if they're just direct-to-DVD) set between the current movies, even ones where the bad guys win? We get to see more of Megs in action, and maybe even get an explanation of some of the going-ons in ROTF (and probably DOTM too). (I'd like to see Starscream playing at Decepticon Leader.) It would give a chance for other Transformers to shine. The budget may not have to be as massive as the ones for the first movies (going more for story than spectacle here) and we don't really need the same human characters, either. Why not give other directors (and scriptwriters) a chance to play in the Bayverse?

Anyone up for a Sideswipe or Ironhide movie?

Archived