Where Are We Heading Next?

madman1366

I want to believe that people will go to a Transformers movie no matter what it looks like. I can't believe that the mass had a deep resentment for G1 in their subconscious for all of these years. I don't want Bayformers to be the epitome of what live-action Transformers are supposed to look like.

I don't know where you got resentment from. I think it's more of a keeping the robots from looking like Power Rangers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're in complete agreement on whether or not the Bayverse films are appropriate for kids

A bit of subtle adult humour you can live with, but Bay seems to be pretty much an 'in-your-face' sort of guy.

I've kind of wondered exactly who the movies were aimed at. My conclusion was this - 'Kids, you can have the books, the comics and the toys. But the movies are for grown-ups only. Sorry.'

Saying that, while I occasionally used the fast-forward button on the remote during the first Bay Transformers movie when the kids were around, I was wishing for a super-fast-forward button when I watched ROTF on my own . (I keep thinking that there must be some way to fix some of the problems with ROTF, but I'm not sure how 'Revenge of the Fallen: The Director's Cut' would turn out)

I'll have to see Dark of the Moon to see if my opinion of the films has improved.

That's exactly what it is, and the reasoning is BS. Because the kids that the toys are aimed at are going to want to see the movie. Period. Whether it's appropriate or not. Of course, more than a few adults will just plain drag their kids along to see something no matter HOW inappropriate it is (I remember my folks taking me to see Cat People when it opened in I believe 1981. I was about 9 at the time. Sorry, Mom. Dad. But it's the truth. And Nastassja Kinski was pretty hot.)I've got a 7-year old that I would not dream of taking to go see DOTM. Or ROTF. He can barely watch the first movie (I pretty much just isolate his viewing to the freeway battle and the closing battle sequence to avoid the language and adult themes and Meg Fox as much as possible).

ROTF was so bad that I don't believe it can be edited and made palatable for any audience. Dear god...just scrap it. It's like Jaws: The Revenge. Unfortunately, it is a part of the mythos, but I just pretend that I have amnesia when the subject comes up.

I want to believe that people will go to a Transformers movie no matter what it looks like. I can't believe that the mass had a deep resentment for G1 in their subconscious for all of these years. I don't want Bayformers to be the epitome of what live-action Transformers are supposed to look like.

I don't know where you got resentment from. I think it's more of a keeping the robots from looking like Power Rangers.

If the filmmakers can make assumptions about the audience, then so can I. ;)

I like how Transformers continues to change itself, though yes I do have problems with a few of the series they have released over the years. Beast Machines, Armada, Energon, and Animated. Can all go in the trash as far as I am concerned and that is not from comparing it to G1 which I do not do. I accept that not everyone is going to like the same thing I myself am proof of that.

As far as the Movieverse goes, I'm actually amused by all the complaints about it. Don't get me wrong I am a G1 purist. However I do not allow myself to use G1 as a reason for anything I do not like in the Transformers Multiverse. But like I said I am amused by all the complaints about the movieverse and how the vast majority complain about Michael Bay. He did an excellent job with the Live Action movies. And I hope he does decide to do one more, but I don't see another Transformers Live Action movie on the horizon for some time. Since all the major players in it are leaving the franchise. I do hope Hasbro continues with some of the designs they made for the Live action. Those were awesome, ROTF Prime, Leader Starscream, Ironhide, Skyhammer, Stealth Bumblebee from the first movie. The designs brought a refreshing and a true reimagining of the Transformers Universe in a way none of us ever thought they would do and they are more realistic would be able to pass in the real world and I hope they continue it.

I think if there is a 4th movie this would be a great opportunity to make a leap into the future the way they did form G1 season 2 to season 3.

Now I want to be very clear here in saying that I am NOT suggesting port over G1 to the Bayverse, but certain aspects could work out really well.

They could set the 4th movie in the future. Not too far out, maybe 2030. Unicron could be introduced, legitimately opening the door for Galvatron. It could take place in a world rebuilt and mostly recovered from the Decepticon invasion. There could even be a Daniel-style character, son of Sam Witwicky, and maybe they could get Shia to cameo (artificially aged of course). Maybe even Primus could be involved.

This seems to me to be a good, natural progression from the events of DOTM that still keeps thing fresh and interesting. This way All the major human characters don't need to return for the story to make sense. It might even make some G1 diehards happy.

I think I kept any DOTM spoilers out of this post, but anyone who has seen it or knows what happens will be better able to see where I'm coming from here. What do you think?

Transformers 4 (and probably beyond)

Bumblebee finally gets to talk properly. Reformats after Daniel says he likes red cars. Decides that Bumblebee is a lame name and he'd rather be called Hot Rod (note - we're still in the Bayverse).

Unicron makes an appearance. Is revealed as the mastermind behind the problems the good guys are having (the Fallen, Megatron and so on). Fuses the remains of Megatron with those of certain other powerful bad guys and creates Galvatron - which explains why he's pretty insane (one minute logical, the next raving, sometimes totally loyal to Unicron and the next defiantly rebellious. He's totally schizo') and insanely powerful. His insanity can be used against him, though.

Autobot City is built. In emergencies, it splits and transforms into Omega Supreme, Metroplex and Fortress Maximus. These three eventually take on Unicron (in space)

The rise of the Headmasters - Transformers of both factions make new types of alliances with the humans.

Ultra Magnus takes on Ironhide's duties. Is also in charge of Autobot City, while Optimus travels the world as Autobot Ambassador to Earth.

Uneasy alliance between 'Earth' Decepticons and Unicron's 'new' Decepticons. (These 'Unicronians' tend to prefer Cybertronian alt-forms and look down on their 'lesser' kin. They also give the regular 'Cons the creeps This eventually causes desertion)

Death of Optimus Prime, after he defeats Galvatron. Even impresses some Decepticon's into joining the Autobot cause (at a later date in another movie). (Let's see - the 'Dinocons' are created as a new weapon against the Autobots by the Earth Decepticons. However the Dinocons can't stand Galvatron and his Unicronians, and find themselves rooting for Optimus instead, and even quietly helping the Autobots on occasion, which later leads to their official defection).

The story can end with Ultra Magnus or Rodimus Prime as Autobot leader. I'd prefer Magnus. It would give him a few films to star in as the main good guy leader before the eventual rise of Rodimus.

I wouldn't kill off Unicron straight away. Perhaps they find a way to slow him down till Movie 9 or 10. There are still plenty of TF stories left before the final showdown.

I wouldn't kill off Galvatron yet either. They can still seemingly get rid of him, though for a few movies.

Transformers 4 (and probably beyond)

Bumblebee finally gets to talk properly. Reformats after Daniel says he likes red cars. Decides that Bumblebee is a lame name and he'd rather be called Hot Rod (note - we're still in the Bayverse).

Unicron makes an appearance. Is revealed as the mastermind behind the problems the good guys are having (the Fallen, Megatron and so on). Fuses the remains of Megatron with those of certain other powerful bad guys and creates Galvatron - which explains why he's pretty insane (one minute logical, the next raving, sometimes totally loyal to Unicron and the next defiantly rebellious. He's totally schizo') and insanely powerful. His insanity can be used against him, though.

Autobot City is built. In emergencies, it splits and transforms into Omega Supreme, Metroplex and Fortress Maximus. These three eventually take on Unicron (in space)

The rise of the Headmasters - Transformers of both factions make new types of alliances with the humans.

Ultra Magnus takes on Ironhide's duties. Is also in charge of Autobot City, while Optimus travels the world as Autobot Ambassador to Earth.

Uneasy alliance between 'Earth' Decepticons and Unicron's 'new' Decepticons. (These 'Unicronians' tend to prefer Cybertronian alt-forms and look down on their 'lesser' kin. They also give the regular 'Cons the creeps This eventually causes desertion)

Death of Optimus Prime, after he defeats Galvatron. Even impresses some Decepticon's into joining the Autobot cause (at a later date in another movie). (Let's see - the 'Dinocons' are created as a new weapon against the Autobots by the Earth Decepticons. However the Dinocons can't stand Galvatron and his Unicronians, and find themselves rooting for Optimus instead, and even quietly helping the Autobots on occasion, which later leads to their official defection).

The story can end with Ultra Magnus or Rodimus Prime as Autobot leader. I'd prefer Magnus. It would give him a few films to star in as the main good guy leader before the eventual rise of Rodimus.

I wouldn't kill off Unicron straight away. Perhaps they find a way to slow him down till Movie 9 or 10. There are still plenty of TF stories left before the final showdown.

I wouldn't kill off Galvatron yet either. They can still seemingly get rid of him, though for a few movies.

Let me get this straight, you think that there's going to be 9 or 10 movies, all following the same story? You do realize the rule of "3 then reboot" is pretty much universal in movies nowadays right?

Nobody takes a movie seriously after the third chapter. Look at Rocky for example :tlfaugh

Let me get this straight, you think that there's going to be 9 or 10 movies, all following the same story?

Not really - I'm hoping for a really good reboot.

Nobody takes a movie seriously after the third chapter.

I think it depends on how much people liked it. It is possible to bring audiences back. X-Men: First Class has restored faith after X-Men: The Last Stand and a lot of people are looking forward to the Hobbit movies (I'll admit the films I've just mentioned are prequels, but you know what I mean)

I don't know what the makers are thinking, whether they'd rather start again from scratch, or decide to stay in a TF world audiences are familiar with ('If it brings in the money, don't try to change it'). I just think that if they intend to do a final battle with Unicron, it had better be in the last movie of that particular continuity. My '9 or 10 movies' could just as easily be '4 or 5' or '11 or 12'. There are a lot of Transformers stories to tell - they should be able to keep them interesting. (I'm thinking of something like what Marvel are doing with their latest films - Seemingly standalone stories being part of a larger arc.)

We're in complete agreement on whether or not the Bayverse films are appropriate for kids

A bit of subtle adult humour you can live with, but Bay seems to be pretty much an 'in-your-face' sort of guy.

I've kind of wondered exactly who the movies were aimed at. My conclusion was this - 'Kids, you can have the books, the comics and the toys. But the movies are for grown-ups only. Sorry.'

Saying that, while I occasionally used the fast-forward button on the remote during the first Bay Transformers movie when the kids were around, I was wishing for a super-fast-forward button when I watched ROTF on my own . (I keep thinking that there must be some way to fix some of the problems with ROTF, but I'm not sure how 'Revenge of the Fallen: The Director's Cut' would turn out. I've got a feeling the parts I really want to 'fix' the most are the ones Bay would want to keep.)

I'll have to see Dark of the Moon to see if my opinion of the films has improved. I wonder if years from now we'll see these films as more of a starting point or as a lost opportunity.

One idea I have for the next films is this - Why not have films (even if they're just direct-to-DVD) set between the current movies, even ones where the bad guys win? We get to see more of Megs in action, and maybe even get an explanation of some of the going-ons in ROTF (and probably DOTM too). (I'd like to see Starscream playing at Decepticon Leader.) It would give a chance for other Transformers to shine. The budget may not have to be as massive as the ones for the first movies (going more for story than spectacle here) and we don't really need the same human characters, either. Why not give other directors (and scriptwriters) a chance to play in the Bayverse?

Anyone up for a Sideswipe or Ironhide movie?

No the movie is NOT aimed at kids...UNDER 13. Ages 13-18 are the kid portion it's targeted at. Small kids, well crap, I've seen just as many people taking their kids to rated R movies. If a parent decides to take a kid and ignore the ratings of the movie, that's nobody else's problem.

Nothing in these movies is anything even close to what I was seeing by the time I (or anyone else I knew) was 13. Besides, they're not my kids. If you're not taking your kids, then they're not yours either so who cares? People are doing far worse things while raising their kids these days than taking them to a few rough movies.

Kids enjoy the toys all the time without ever watching the show, reading comics or playing the games. The toys sell themselves with cool factor.

The movies were made to provide for the more mature fans, (teens, adults)who appreciate it far more. Bay said that right up front. Obviously smaller kids are going to see it too, but that's not, nor should it be, Bay's problem.

The numbers a few years ago were staggering. 48% of total action figure sales nationwide was to adult collectors. I don't think it's tough to imagine Transformers being on the higher end of that average which would put it at or over 50%. So from a business point of view, it would be foolish to not have done the movies this way.

If these movies were kiddied down, there is no way that they ever would have raked in the money or had the mainstream impact that they've had. We could have just as easily ended up with a Power Ranger-ish disaster that ultimately killed the franchise.

To be fair, movies like First Class are prequels. They're a bit of a reboot in themselves.

Archived