Where Are We Heading Next?

madman1366

With what will most probably be the last of the Bay movies looming on the horizon I guess it's not too early to start to reflect a bit on this "Bayformer" era. Also, where is the future of the movie franchise and just the TF franchise in general going from here on out?

I'm guessing we'll get some vague idea from the panel discussions at Botcon, but it will more than likely just be more to speculate over.

I'll also guess there's going to be a lot of mixed feelings about the Bay era. Can't deny this though, it sure hasn't been boring! We've seen our Transformers finally shared with large audiences and I think there is more positive than negative that we've seen as a result.

It could have been a total nightmare disaster from the get go. It could have been an epic flop with lousy production which would have truly made TF fans look like jackasses. Instead we got one movie that rated well and built a nice following of regular folks, and one the critics shat upon, but still did pretty well with the general movie going crowd. Again, could have been worse...much worse.

I guess this 3rd movie will be the one that Bay's Transformers legacy will be judged on. I think a home run here wipes away the bad taste left from ROTF and will allow him to part with plenty enough to be proud of. A grand slam? I don't know, that may be asking a little too much, but if it is then he might find it harder than he thought to give it up! Another critical bomb? eh...it's the peoples grade that matters, but an all out flop could be a rather not so nice setback to Transformers on the big screen. Stay tuned for more as this story unfolds!

Sure, there is room for improvement anywhere you look. However, Bay will leave one valuable thing behind. He set the standards that will need to be met, and hopefully surpassed with future movies. The visuals will have to be better along with story or it simply won't work. The best story in the world will be useless if they can't do BETTER with the visuals than what Bay did. That thought should be enough to comfort even the most devout Bay hater out there!

With talk of a new Transformers novel series coming there is also lots of speculation that this book series might be the gateway to the next series of movies. Said to be going after the age range typically seen with Harry Potter. Perhaps a storyline that starts rather simple, has a longer build up and stages of character development which grows in intensity as the story progresses.

Who knows what they may cook up for this new take, but it should at least provide for another wild ride!

I know at the end of this all, I think the fandom as a whole is better now than it was when it started. Transformers have become a bigger part of pop culture than ever before and I gotta say I've enjoyed that! I've been allowed to feel more free and open to express my geekness! What's not to love about that. Yeah, not everyone gets it, but by and large people tend to be a lot more accepting of it. Mostly because the idea itself is not as alien to most people as it used to be. For that I am grateful.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked what Bay did with Transformers personally.

I however, and this is the TF fan in me speaking, like to see a movie set back at the beginning of the war. Where do some of the characters we've come to know and love come from politically speaking. I know IDW did plenty of backstory for all three movies to form a pretty nice picture, but still, seeing that on the big screen would be a welcome thing. No humans, but keep it in the Bay-verse (who says just cause the director left that the story can't go on). If it's successful, towards the end, give ideas towards possible technologies that could be in future movies (Headmasters for example). There's so much from the mythos to take from that the possibilities are relatively endless.

However, a set of novels wouldn't be a bad idea.

More then likely Transformers will continue without Micheal Bay being involved. The franchise simply made too much money for this to be the last Transformers movie we see. This is only the last one done by Micheal Bay. The studios will just get new actors and a new director to continue the Bay-verse Transformers. My guess is the Dinobots will be the major stars in TF4, along with Prime and Bumbulbee. As for villians, probably the Predacons, or even Unicron. As for the Trilogy as a whole, I couldn't be happier the way things turned-out. Transformers as a whole will enjoy a long future largely due to the success of the movies. TRANSFORMERS FOREVER!!! Could be the next TF movie Title.

I'm thinking Modern/Aligned/Prime will be the forefront for a while, while another movie will be on it's way. With or without Bay.

I like to think of the movies as a next step in the Transformers evolution which began back with Beast Wars. Simply because Beast Wars is what made Transformers relevant again.

Then at a time where perhaps the lure of cartoon series seems to waning and not being the promotional engines they once were, the movie series came along to yet re-invent and bring another 'golden age' to the franchise.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this ride that started in '84 and I'm already looking forward to seeing how the franchise will yet again re-invent itself for the next generations to love. Hopefully, it will be every bit as long and enjoyable as the ride that we've enjoyed thus far.

.....I just can't wait to see what happens the day someone actually builds a fully functioning transformer!

What's this thread doing taking up space on the main page? This isn't news. It belongs in the general discussion forum at best. If you want people to notice it pin it at the top of the forum.

That said, I agree that TF fandom is better off than they were 4 years ago and I happened to like Bay's work. These movies reached the widest audience yet and the market as a whole seems more receptive to this hobby. I honestly wouldn't rule out a fourth movie. Pirates is on their 4th film and X-Men is about to release their 5th. Who cares if the human actors want to do another one? As long as there's CGI we can have Transformers movies.

Personally, I would think that the next movie should relate to Beast wars, and have Season 1, 2, and 3 be like three seprate movies. I mean, with the CGI today, we could pull it off. I mean, there could be a Headmasters film, but I really don't know how that would turn out, because first of all we have Scorponok as I giant city, and in the movie, well, he wasn't even close to that. Plus there was GoldBug insted of BumbleBee, and Jazz still lived, and Ratchet and Ironhide were already dead, I think that That would be a Bad Idea, to have the next Tf film based off of Headmasters. But I do like the idea of Starting a Beast Wars movie, because it would help everyone get a fresh start with the whole thing, and the script editors have a little bit more flexibility with this, since they don't need to be based off anything other then the ONE Beast Wars series, where ( Again ) Headmasters would need to tie in both the Movie and G1 franchise. ( Which you and I both know that that would probably never work put too well...)

I would like to see straight to DVD movies for the Transformers. They can make them all CGI. If they want to make big screen movies so be it. They can do a reboot. But make the Bots more like their Alternator forms. I never got why the autobots who are trying to make friends with humans look so alien. You would think they would want the humans to feel more at easy with them by choosing a more humanoid look. I don't know about you guys but if I saw a robot coming at me with a predator's chicken face and hooks for hands I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them. Now The look makes sense for the Decepticons cause well lets be honest they would rather step on a human then befriend it.The whole scary look thing works for them.

They should do straight to dvd/blu-ray releases for the prequel story. Marvel and DC are doing straight to dvd/blu-ray and succeding. The production cost is lower and they have a greater freedom for content. Definetly would like to see the prequel war in some format.

As far as movies go, I could see a reboot 5-6 years from now. Maybe a sequel depending on the story and how it is concluded. HAS/TAK will want another film due to the huge boost in sales. There's always Unicron lurking out there in space too.

Archived