Review: DOTM Sentinel Prime Figure

Blitz-Wing

Yeah repetitive alt modes....

I still wanna see a bayformer that turns into a TRAIN

Train-formers are AWESOME! Seeing Astrotrain in the IDW Rising Storm prequel series got my hopes up briefly, but I'm sure if there was going to be a Bayverse Astrotrain figure we would've heard something by now....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could still happen. Mindwipe and superion weren't in rotf. If this is the definitive end to the bayverse film series then I could see hasbro doing multiple non movie transformer characters in the movie style.

Hmmm...upon closer examination to see just how CGI-accurate this toy is, I see 4 points:

1) In the CGI model, there is a hose on the right pectoral plate/side windows that connects to the right shoulder. This is absent on the toy. It's a little detail, but it does look cool on the CGI and I wish it were present on the toy.

2) In the CGI model, the triangular section of the groin module is more ventrally located than seen on the toy, with the articulated red section on the toy should be located downward to at least where the tubing on the toys' groin module is. This would provide more of a waist seen in the CGI model and expose more fittings and gearing (as seen in the CGI model).

3) The CGI model has spiked knuckles. This would have looked badass on the toy.

4) The CGI model's arms. In toy terms, to get the arms right: a more enterprising person than myself might acquire a ROTF LC Jetfire, take the forearms apart, remove the jet kibble, remove the forearms from Sentinel Prime, cut the arms in half lengthwise and sandwich them over Jetfire's now-denuded forearm and attach SP's fists. This is the closest approximation to me, at least) of what the CGI displays.

There's minutiae all over the place with little gearing/fitting/wire details that could be there but isn't, but I barely feels that it is important enough to detail. Besides, despite what I find "wrong" with the toy, LC Sentinel Prime is an absolute event. Also: The heels are not accurate, but they are cleaver and utilize alternate mode bits in a productive fashion.

I bring up the issues above because I'm comparing SP to LC 'Screamer and ROTF LC Prime. There isn't much at all keeping Starscream from looking exactly like his CGI model, and likewise for Optimus. The CGI just cheats a little too much to get certain parts of him to look closer to the CGI, but the amount of accurate detail present is absolutely breathtaking. With that said, where I to rank the three, LC 'Screamer and ROTF LC Optimus are 1A and 1B, with Sentinel Prime being ranked at #2, as he is better than all the rest by far.

I'm sorry Shellformer. As decent a comparison of LC figures as that was, I fear I was too busy giggling at "groin module" to fully appreciate it.

God help me, I'm such a child.

I'm sorry Shellformer. As decent a comparison of LC figures as that was, I fear I was too busy giggling at "groin module" to fully appreciate it.

God help me, I'm such a child.

:rofl

With that said, where I to rank the three, LC 'Screamer and ROTF LC Optimus are 1A and 1B, with Sentinel Prime being ranked at #2, as he is better than all the rest by far.

They're my three favorite toys, and I rank them Prime 1, SS 2, and SP 3. Prime gets the edge over SS because I think his alt mode looks better (though I like jets better than trucks) and because I can't stand SS's lack of wrist articulation. I know that's a really minor thing, but it just bugs me. I'm working on a mod for that and waiting to get some new SS hands...

You're right: Prime's alt mode IS killer, although there is no discounting the fact that 'Screamers does a better job of presenting the form of the F-22 while hiding as much robot mode kibble as possible than any $45.00 toy has the right to. IMO, 'Screamer matches Prime for molded detailing and CGI-accuracy, but is a slightly better poser--he doesn't have Prime's balance issues. The wrists (as well as the lack of his back-mounted thrusters)are a letdown, though.

These three figures--LC ROTF Prime, 'Screamer and Sentinel Prime--exemplify everything that is good about the Bayverse and set a standard for TF toys in general that is nearly unmatched. I say "nearly" because HA Barricade, HA Jazz, HFTD Terradive, WFC Megs, RTS Lugnut, DOTM Megatron and MP Grimlock and MP Rodimus Prime exist.

The wrists (as well as the lack of his back-mounted thrusters)are a letdown, though.

I'm also planning on doing a mod that I saw someone else do for the thrusters. They used the thrusters/heels of Energon Skorponok. Unless the upgrade kit comes out sooner and isn't too expensive, then I'll get those thrusters...

Here's a discussion about some articulated SS hands someone made. If you can't view it, the hands are available through Shapeways.

:yay

EXCELLENT. Thanks for the tip!!!

Archived