Review: DOTM Sentinel Prime Figure

Blitz-Wing

Great review, Blitz-Wing. Your new system is a lot more comprehensive than your old system, and definitely seems to more thoroughly examine the toy. I am much appreciative, as your reviews were already a high-point of this site to begin with.

I may just get this toy, but the overall questions you've raised about its long-term durability and fragility are definitely a sticking point with me (sort of as in the case of MP-Rodimus Prime), as well as the head being made of soft rubber (the entire head?). And your review of the transformation process raises a red flag as well. It seems very reminiscent of the garbage system used for Leader Class Movie Brawl, or even ROTF LC Jetfire. Neither transformation was particularly well thought-out or fluid, IMO.

SP does look amazing, though...in both modes. One question, though: in your past reviews, you did include pics of both the front and the rear of the robot mode. Is it possible for you to continue that in future reviews, as well as shots of the rear of the alternate mode? I find that these things are major selling points with me.

Thanks for the feedback, first off. I should clarify on the head. Parts of the head (mainly the eyebrows) are rubber. The majority of the head is plastic, though. As for the rear 3/4 shots, I'll add them to future reviews. Was not sure if that was a value or not. My main goal has always been to "get to the point" instead of pontificating. Since I've added more verbage, I wasn't sure if having a bunch of pics up would add to the perceived length.

Oh, and nice avatar :drool

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great review, Blitz-Wing. Your new system is a lot more comprehensive than your old system, and definitely seems to more thoroughly examine the toy. I am much appreciative, as your reviews were already a high-point of this site to begin with.

I may just get this toy, but the overall questions you've raised about its long-term durability and fragility are definitely a sticking point with me (sort of as in the case of MP-Rodimus Prime), as well as the head being made of soft rubber (the entire head?). And your review of the transformation process raises a red flag as well. It seems very reminiscent of the garbage system used for Leader Class Movie Brawl, or even ROTF LC Jetfire. Neither transformation was particularly well thought-out or fluid, IMO.

SP does look amazing, though...in both modes. One question, though: in your past reviews, you did include pics of both the front and the rear of the robot mode. Is it possible for you to continue that in future reviews, as well as shots of the rear of the alternate mode? I find that these things are major selling points with me.

Thanks for the feedback, first off. I should clarify on the head. Parts of the head (mainly the eyebrows) are rubber. The majority of the head is plastic, though. As for the rear 3/4 shots, I'll add them to future reviews. Was not sure if that was a value or not. My main goal has always been to "get to the point" instead of pontificating. Since I've added more verbage, I wasn't sure if having a bunch of pics up would add to the perceived length.

Oh, and nice avatar :drool

Ahhhh...that's great news about the head sculpt. I can see why the eyebrows would be cast in rubber. As for the rest, 1): you are pretty economical with your presentation and non-indulgent overall; in that context, your pics just help illuminate what we may or may not end up buying. I am wondering how much of the alternate mode is resting on SP's back--judging from the base mode, I'm guessing quite a bit? Fairly standard stuff in that regard for a Bayverse leader class toy. And 2): yes. Christina Hendricks is a goddess.

I'd rather have more pics in the review, personally, so we can see what you're describing. Myself, I don't necessarily need all the new detailed sub-ratings, but I can see how they are useful. Thanks for putting so much effort into these. FWIW I consider yours to be the definitive written reviews, which I prefer to videos.

Ugh my movie TF shelf is completely full. Some other LC will need to get booted off....Probably a Megatron

I don't feel like making a new topic, so I'll post this here. Some things I've noticed with SP.

The front back tires do not sit even with the other back tires, and thus do not touch the ground on a flat surface. I've pushed all the tires up as high as they will go and I don't see the problem.

The panels that are attached to the arms, refuse to stay tabbed in in alt mode. It could just be a defect in mine, I really don't know. I'll probably try and get a replacement since there were lots of paint spills anyway.

The packaging mentions "robot combat sounds" but I hear nothing and there is no mention in the instructions. It also only makes the transformation sound when removing his mechtech weapon from alt mode. Random, much?

And by far the most important thing I've noticed is that he is effing awesome, depsite the above flaws. Best leader class figure since RotF OP, in my opinion, with Starscream a close third.

Edit: Twfiki says "When a button on his chest is pushed, he says one of three phrases; "I am Sentinel Prime!" "Good to se you alive, Optimus." and "What has happened to the AllSpark?"" Yet mine only says the first. Is that normal?

I don't feel like making a new topic, so I'll post this here. Some things I've noticed with SP.

The front back tires do not sit even with the other back tires, and thus do not touch the ground on a flat surface. I've pushed all the tires up as high as they will go and I don't see the problem.

The panels that are attached to the arms, refuse to stay tabbed in in alt mode. It could just be a defect in mine, I really don't know. I'll probably try and get a replacement since there were lots of paint spills anyway.

The packaging mentions "robot combat sounds" but I hear nothing and there is no mention in the instructions. It also only makes the transformation sound when removing his mechtech weapon from alt mode. Random, much?

And by far the most important thing I've noticed is that he is effing awesome, depsite the above flaws. Best leader class figure since RotF OP, in my opinion, with Starscream a close third.

Edit: Twfiki says "When a button on his chest is pushed, he says one of three phrases; "I am Sentinel Prime!" "Good to se you alive, Optimus." and "What has happened to the AllSpark?"" Yet mine only says the first. Is that normal?

Fiddled with the figure some more last night, and the tire problem may have been because I didn't have the legs at a precise angle. Still can't get those panels to close, though.

As for the sounds, it seems all of the sound effects mentioned only happen with a mechtech weapon attached. It's like cyberkeys/minicons all over again. :roll

Fiddled with the figure some more last night, and the tire problem may have been because I didn't have the legs at a precise angle. Still can't get those panels to close, though.

As for the sounds, it seems all of the sound effects mentioned only happen with a mechtech weapon attached. It's like cyberkeys/minicons all over again. :roll

I've noticed on some toys that feature audio there is a switch that has "on", "off", and "demo" positions. In "demo" the phrases are limited to one, maybe two. I believe ROTF Devastator had this going on. Could this be the problem with SP? I don't have him yet so I don't know.

Archived