megatron's new look

t4mercustomz

Your reasoning is well thought out but seems to support a more significant grudge against humankind than against Prime. He may very well be losing it but the thesis of my argument is that Optimus is not the cause. Honestly though this is all speculation. We have no idea what mental state Megs is in and won't until the movie comes out. Actually, the novelization of DOTM may offer better insight, albeit to a smaller audience. I really figure the simplest explanation for his new alt mode is that he is doing whatever it takes to either win or simply survive.

Speaking of smaller audiences, while WFC and TF Exodus had the same outcome, I was actually refering more to the book which had to have had a lesser following than the game but a more detailed picture of the consequences of the war. However, like it or not, retcon or not, both book and game are now official cannon. Fans who want to be fully informed should check both out. I get the feeling that those who follow Transformers more casually wouldn't really sweat the details one way or the other.

It might be that he does indeed hate humankind as much as he hates Optimus, remember in the first movie he was on ice for how long? 80 years I think it was. Knowing that the humans were probing him. I'd be pissed at humanity also. LOL

But I still like believing that he is trying to run and hide from Shockwave.

Now as far as the retcons of WFC and Exodus, we already know there are problems with the continuity of it all, and last I checked it goes WFC to Exodus to Exiles (the sequel) to Prime. So it has no bearing on the MovieVerse anyway.

Besides not having the right mechanics to turn Megatron into Galvatron who ended up insane and deranged. The only possible coarse was to leave Megatron as Megatron but have him go insane without becoming Galvatron.

Your reasoning is well thought out but seems to support a more significant grudge against humankind than against Prime. He may very well be losing it but the thesis of my argument is that Optimus is not the cause. Honestly though this is all speculation. We have no idea what mental state Megs is in and won't until the movie comes out. Actually, the novelization of DOTM may offer better insight, albeit to a smaller audience. I really figure the simplest explanation for his new alt mode is that he is doing whatever it takes to either win or simply survive.

Speaking of smaller audiences, while WFC and TF Exodus had the same outcome, I was actually refering more to the book which had to have had a lesser following than the game but a more detailed picture of the consequences of the war. However, like it or not, retcon or not, both book and game are now official cannon. Fans who want to be fully informed should check both out. I get the feeling that those who follow Transformers more casually wouldn't really sweat the details one way or the other.

It might be that he does indeed hate humankind as much as he hates Optimus, remember in the first movie he was on ice for how long? 80 years I think it was. Knowing that the humans were probing him. I'd be pissed at humanity also. LOL

But I still like believing that he is trying to run and hide from Shockwave.

Now as far as the retcons of WFC and Exodus, we already know there are problems with the continuity of it all, and last I checked it goes WFC to Exodus to Exiles (the sequel) to Prime. So it has no bearing on the MovieVerse anyway.

Besides not having the right mechanics to turn Megatron into Galvatron who ended up insane and deranged. The only possible coarse was to leave Megatron as Megatron but have him go insane without becoming Galvatron.

I haven't read Exiles yet so I can't comment one way or the other on that. Regardless, Megatron's general distaste for humanity is obvious in the way he flicks them away at the end of the first movie. He regards them as insects and treats them accordingly.

Now one detail I can point to that figures into WFC being part of the Bayverse is Bumblebee's voice (or lack thereof). This was meant to be one of the factors that tied it to the movies. As a sidebar, I did find it odd that BB lost his voice in the novel but kept it throughout the game.

Anyway, I just can't recall for sure if WFC was meant to unify disparate realities or function as a common prequel for multiple realities to diverge from. I'm going to dig around this site and see if I can't find that story....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure that humanity alone is the cause. It can be reaonably argued that Megs was showing signs of destabilization prior to even crash-landing on Earth. I will readily concede that the indignities he has endured on this planet may very well be the straw that broke the camels' back. The movies themselves--curiously--do not really illustrate the details of the animosity between Megatron and Optimus...which is truly a shame, because it is their central conflict that defines the realities of the war at this particular point in time. Much of what is going on turns on their words and whims. Which brings me to the issue of retconned canon:

At this moment, I am not going to on a long anti-Michael Bay diatribe. I've done it before, and it's pointless. Irregardless of what I think of him as a director, the fact remains that he IS directing a movie, I am not, and some of the ideas that he has greenlit are simply awesome. I will leave it at this, though: he himself rejected several canonical ideas in favor of fulfilling his ultimate vision. There IS, IMO, no one single TF property that can seamlessly unite the entire TF multiverse through a retcon. Besides, it's mutable. All it'd take is for one insider at the right place at the right time and POOF...the retcon is retconned again, and "canon" is altered. Which, to me at least, leaves the central task of delineating and illustrating his corner of the TF multiverse to a one Mr. Michael Bay. I'm having to do too much of the work on my own to fill in the Bayverse gaps. I'm sorry, but I'm faced with having to purchase and study alternate media to "properly" scrutinize his films when there is roughly about 5 hours of it available? It should be able to stand on its own--especially since so much of what was regarded as canon was simply omitted.

But yet, it can't stand on its own.

At this moment, it comes down to preference. Were this Animated, I'd have no problem buying up anything and everything connected to it. But then again, Animated didn't come out of the chute arrogantly. My affinity for the Bayverse is really limited to the designs of the mech. Plain and simple: Michael Bay has stones enough to tell me THIS is the way it is..? Fine. Then he'd better have enough from a talent perspective to make certain that his movies tell the story adequately.

You're absolutely right. It's a shame that over the course of two movies we haven't had a better examination of the relationship between Megs and Prime. I can come up with two excuses for that right away. 1) there's only so much you can squeeze into a movie and not bore the audience and, 2) as good as that story is it's been done to death and then some. Alas, these are only potential excuses and not sufficient explanations. The fact that we don't see that in the Bayverse is for me all the more reason to want WFC/Exodus to be a part of that continuity. Their entire dynamic is fleshed out in a depth we haven't seen before. Also, between a mute BB and the concept of an Allspark, the WFC story is tied at least as closely to the Bayverse as it is to TF Prime.

If you recall early on for that matter, Hasbro was saying WFC served as a prequel to the venerated G1. Just because they haven't effectively tied together the various TF continuities doesn't mean that wasn't the original intent.

Generally I save myself some headaches by regarding the various stories being told (movie, cartoon, comic, game, TFCC, ect.) as part of a rich multiverse instead of trying to shoe horn it all into one reality.

You're absolutely right. It's a shame that over the course of two movies we haven't had a better examination of the relationship between Megs and Prime. I can come up with two excuses for that right away. 1) there's only so much you can squeeze into a movie and not bore the audience and, 2) as good as that story is it's been done to death and then some. Alas, these are only potential excuses and not sufficient explanations. The fact that we don't see that in the Bayverse is for me all the more reason to want WFC/Exodus to be a part of that continuity. Their entire dynamic is fleshed out in a depth we haven't seen before. Also, between a mute BB and the concept of an Allspark, the WFC story is tied at least as closely to the Bayverse as it is to TF Prime.

If you recall early on for that matter, Hasbro was saying WFC served as a prequel to the venerated G1. Just because they haven't effectively tied together the various TF continuities doesn't mean that wasn't the original intent.

Generally I save myself some headaches by regarding the various stories being told (movie, cartoon, comic, game, TFCC, ect.) as part of a rich multiverse instead of trying to shoe horn it all into one reality.

And on that note: :beer

I do want to make one last filmmaking point, however.

IMO, it ca be reasoably argued that Jaws is the greatest film ever made, and not just because it has a huge man-eating shark in it. This is the leanest and most efficient 2-2.5 hour long movie I've ever seen. Every scene had a purpose and moved the film along. There were plenty of expository moments, but even those served to examine and illuminate the characters, as well as move the plot along. Literally every scene in this movie was excellently executed and nothing detracted from the final product--even though the shark did look fake. The movie had a purpose.

Michael Bay, on the other hand, has not learned from Spielberg's most prescient example. A good chunk of the 5 hour timeframe of both Transformers films are filled with, well...filler. Useless exposition that does not move the plot along, endless plot holes, potty humor and the Species-inspired Pretender angle...how much time did Bay waste with stuff like this when he could have simply told the story of a civilization of giant, quasi-omnimorphic sentient machines fighting an eons-old civil war, and the personal story of the leaders of the two warring factions--without whom there might not be any story worth telling?

I make it simple, I ignore all the official canon regardless, and don't care what Hasbro says, simply because most of it does not make sense and causes headaches. So I go with personal canon as its easier on the brain.

ShellformerV1, I'm completely opposite of you, I love the MovieVerse, and go out of my way to ignore Animated. I do believe that movie wise there is not enough time to go into the relationship between Optimus and Megatron, and that is what the novelization and other forms of media are suppose to take care of. As there is not enough time to explain everything on screen without boring people to death. Of which has failed so better to not even worry about it and enjoy the action in the movie. Of which Bay is known for and the main reason he was chosen to direct the Trilogy and he also put a fresh take on it without recycling an old story. I do disagree with the whole allspark crap. However it was interesting that in the movieverse Megatron and Optimus are brothers.

That's why I think it's from Prime disfiguring him. Megatron's vanity is the only reasonable justification for a cloak. That or he's hiding out in the desert and doesn't want to get sand in his servos....

Then he better get a bigger one lol.

Wait. Was the cape a part of the truck he scanned for the alt mode? Is it like the equivalent of TF poop or something? Or did he just grab a giant cloth from somewhere. If it's not part of his body wouldn't it get stuck all over the place after he transformed? I'm confused.

A good chunk of the 5 hour timeframe of both Transformers films are filled with, well...filler. Useless exposition that does not move the plot along, endless plot holes, potty humor and the Species-inspired Pretender angle...how much time did Bay waste with stuff like this when he could have simply told the story of a civilization of giant, quasi-omnimorphic sentient machines fighting an eons-old civil war, and the personal story of the leaders of the two warring factions--without whom there might not be any story worth telling?

I think that says it all for me! Remember when BB peed on Simmons? I wish I didnt. I really wish that never happened, along with the "are you masturbating" scene and the pot brownies and the scene where the kid comes out of the bathroom with his pants down, and when the cops confront Sam about using drugs. Except for Bernie Mack (RIP) he was funny.

Does anyone know of a way to edit DVDs? I really want to take both movies and cut out the humans entirely, unless there is a bot in the scene as well.

That's why I think it's from Prime disfiguring him. Megatron's vanity is the only reasonable justification for a cloak. That or he's hiding out in the desert and doesn't want to get sand in his servos....

Wait. Was the cape a part of the truck he scanned for the alt mode? Is it like the equivalent of TF poop or something? Or did he just grab a giant cloth from somewhere. If it's not part of his body wouldn't it get stuck all over the place after he transformed? I'm confused.

I guess we'll have to wait and see in the movie. It could be some sort of maelable, non-metallic nanofiber weave that an extension of his body (much in the same way I don't believe TF windshields are made of actual glass) or it could be a canvas tarp he just grabs after he scans the truck. Maybe when he goes to transform he throws it up in the air anime-style and it lands all cool exactly where he wanted it....

I guess we'll have to wait and see in the movie. It could be some sort of maelable, non-metallic nanofiber weave that an extension of his body (much in the same way I don't believe TF windshields are made of actual glass) or it could be a canvas tarp he just grabs after he scans the truck. Maybe when he goes to transform he throws it up in the air anime-style and it lands all cool exactly where he wanted it....

Man Jason you seem to be doubling up a lot today LOL. I just really hope that if they do make another Leader Class Megatron they don't screw it up like they did with ROTF.

Archived