How to remove black paint off ROTF Leader Megatron's Chest/Torso?

OmarJT1982

Has anybody tried to remove the black paint off ROTF Leader Megatron's Chest/Torso?

I tried using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Paint Thinner and neither one didn't work! :damnit

I used Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover and it worked to removed the paint, but the downside(s) to that is that I had to spray the area and leave it on for a while then used a big brush to remove most the black paint, scraped off any black paint that was left in the corners and crevices with a X-Acto Precision Knife, and a white, frosty film/residue that was present.

Can't use acetone because it will soften the plastic! :tdown

I could use a Dremel metal brush to remove the paint but even at a low setting, there might be scratches and the natural gloss of the plastic will be removed as well.

Can anyone please tell me if there is a chemical/solution (Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover, Terpentine, WD-40, Pinesol, Goo Gone or Goof Off Citrus, etc.) that will allow me to remove the black paint off ROTF Leader Megatron's Chest/Torso without leaving any residue that will affect the plastic's natural gloss???

Has anybody tried to remove the black paint off ROTF Leader Megatron's Chest/Torso?

I tried using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Paint Thinner and neither one didn't work! :damnit

I used Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover and it worked to removed the paint, but the downside(s) to that is that I had to spray the area and leave it on for a while then used a big brush to remove most the black paint, scraped off any black paint that was left in the corners and crevices with a X-Acto Precision Knife, and a white, frosty film/residue that was present.

I could use a Dremel metal brush to remove the paint but even at a low setting, there might be scratches and the natural gloss of the plastic will be removed as well.

Can anyone please tell me if there is a chemical/solution (Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover, Terpentine, WD-40, Pinesol, Goo Gone or Goof Off Citrus, etc.) that will allow me to remove the black paint off ROTF Leader Megatron's Chest/Torso without leaving any residue that will affect the plastic's natural gloss???

Yeah, acrylic paint thinner, an old toothbrush, and a sharpened piece of acrylic rod (not metal) to scratch off paint. Then use some acrylic clear coat, if necessary, to bring the transparency and shine back to any clear parts. I also have used the dremmel brush to great effect without "scratching" the plastic, if you're not too heavy-handed and set the speed lower.

Yeah, acrylic paint thinner, an old toothbrush, and a sharpened piece of acrylic rod (not metal) to scratch off paint. Then use some acrylic clear coat, if necessary, to bring the transparency and shine back to any clear parts. I also have used the dremmel brush to great effect without "scratching" the plastic, if you're not too heavy-handed and set the speed lower.

What brand/type of acrylic paint thinner would you recommend for removing the black paint off ROTF Leader Megatron's Chest/Torso?

I use Tamiya Color. It's also the brand of paint I primarily use. you have to use some elbow-grease too though.

just grab some 91% alcohol from any store, liberally douse it on the parts, and a few minutes and rounds later, it will come right off.

He already tried that, and it didn't work for him for whatever reason. The acrylic paint thinner does work.

just grab some 91% alcohol from any store, liberally douse it on the parts, and a few minutes and rounds later, it will come right off.

He already tried that, and it didn't work for him for whatever reason. The acrylic paint thinner does work.

Emphasis on how much alcohol you have to apply before trying to rub the paint off

Emphasis on how much alcohol you have to apply before trying to rub the paint off

exactly. you can't harm this plastic with alcohol. You can literally soak the chest for hours and it will work. Trust me, factory app paints all come off w/ alcohol. Are you repainting this fig?

exactly. you can't harm this plastic with alcohol. You can literally soak the chest for hours and it will work. Trust me, factory app paints all come off w/ alcohol. Are you repainting this fig?

In a way, yes!

I plan on giving my own ROTF Leader Megatron a color scheme similar to his G1 figure:

41Rwm8sGzFL.jpg

He won't be repainted in chrome or silver paint, I only want to remove the black paint from his chest/torso.

Archived