How long do you want TF: Prime to last?

Megatronus

The cons I just love. I never thought I would actually LIKE a Starscream but Prime's Starscream is win for me, high heels and all.

What about G1 comic Starscream? He wasn't nearly as impotent as his cartoon counterpart. I liked Micron Legend Starscream too... though I don't think the dubbing in Armada portrayed him as well (JMHO). A unique a noble character.

It'd be nice to see the show focus on jets other than Starscream though. Skyquake seems like a write off... what about Thundercracker?? Hardly anyone ever bothers to write about him! (seriously - if you look at the entirety of G1; comics, cartoon, books etc, he go sweet FA characterisation, yet he has arguably one of the most interesting personas out of the Seekers and loads of potential!)

madboard01.jpg

madboard02.jpg

madboard03.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I am surprised so many of you dislike the show. I am a G1 fan all the way, and I think this show is the best I have seen since G1. The voice acting and overall and the feel of the show is better than anything I have seen in quite a while.

I am surprised so many of you dislike the show. I am a G1 fan all the way, and I think this show is the best I have seen since G1. The voice acting and overall and the feel of the show is better than anything I have seen in quite a while.

Yeah well, the G1 cartoon is overrated. I've always preferred the G1 comics. The writing in TF Prime is no where near the level of the old Marvel Comics or Beast Wars. Too many of the characters are treated more like caricatures rather than characters, which is also what the G1 cartoon did too.

And character writing aside, other things which annoy me include:

+ Miko <---completely USELESS human. Characters who make prominent appearances yet make little to no valuable contribution to the story (and thus waste screen time) are widely disliked by fans. This is why many G1 cartoon fans hated Daniel Witwicky and Wheelie (and why official canon KILLED them off when Daniel was a young adult -- he and Wheelie sacrificed themselves as they were being swarmed by Nightbirds), and also why many Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

+ Optimus Prime spouting clichéd one-liners rather than actually having realistic dialogue. Many have criticised TF Prime Optimus Prime of being a "quote machine"

+ Wheeljack... man this character sucks. First of all he's a freakin' MUNCHKIN (anyone who's played role playing games here will know that nobody likes a Munchkin...), and secondly... he doesn't TRANSFORM!

+ WHERE ARE THE TOYS?!?? Transformers is a toy franchise, damn it! The toys should be out before the show (or at least at the same time). Here we are watching the show and I haven't seen a single TF Prime toy for sale in stores yet! Boooooo!

+ Airachnid's beast mode... WTF?? Thank goodness she's ditched that now...

+ Bumblebee can't talk, but Raf can somehow understand him perfectly. Like that's not stupid.

But there are some things I do like about the show, such as:

+ Cliffjumper's a completely different mould from Bumblebee! (too bad he didn't last long)

+ Arcee isn't pink or purple or any other stereotypically girlie pastel colours (although she does have some pink highlights, but they're subtle)

+ Jack Darby's mum is HAWT!

+ MECHA -- another group of antagonists other than Decepticons. It's not often we see human antagonists for the Transformers, and they're not lame like the human villains in Transformers Animated or the G1 cartoon. It hasn't been since the G1 comics that we've seen credible and non-lame human antagonists. Okay, the Mechanic was kinda lame, but ya know, there were plenty of awesome human antagonists in the G1 comics, e.g. R.A.A.T./I.I.I., Circuit Breaker, COBRA etc. Even Spider-Man was initially a protagonist for a short while (until he realised that Gears was a good guy), ditto G.I. Joe. Actually, I wish TF Prime had just used COBRA instead of making a new faction... why not? It's another Hasbro franchise. Then there would be the possibility of introducing G.I. Joe as potential allies for the Autobots later on.

+ Bulkhead: I prefer him over his Animated counterpart. Less goofy and ... stupid. The "big clumsy oaf" joke got really old fast.

Some people would hate free toys.

But seriosuly, it's always a pretty even split on those who like and dislike any show.

+ WHERE ARE THE TOYS?!?? Transformers is a toy franchise, damn it! The toys should be out before the show (or at least at the same time). Here we are watching the show and I haven't seen a single TF Prime toy for sale in stores yet! Boooooo!

The toys aren't here (except the one) because Hasbro had changed how they release toys. They didn't want anything to change the brand recognition of the movie toys, which is obvious because everyone maxed out on their displays a week before DoTM hit. However, they probably COULD have released a Bumblebee, since it is similar enough, but then again there are at least 3 Deluxe DoTM Bumblebee toys which are shelf warming already.

Should they have released Prime toys last year? Well they were still in RTS mode at that point, as well as the other items. Sure it doesn't make sense to not have toys out, especially with Hasbro's past performances. But they were trying to do too much at once! What if they did Prime toys before DoTM toys, then RTS and Generations wouldn't have come out!

Another thing to consider is the fact that the show is only on the Hub. Do you get the Hub?

The reason is, Hasbro is milking the movies for all they are worth, and holding off on Prime until probably before or after Christmas.

But as far as Prime itself goes? The writing sucks, the animation sucks, and it doesn't even hold my kids attention unlike G1 and BW's, my kids will sit and watch those but if you try to put Prime on? they don't stick around. Even I can barely watch it because it is so bad. I can see Hasbro doing 3 seasons and maybe a toy line on par with Animated but nothing more

Other hand.

Walmart wants movie stuff.

Opinions may vary on the actual show, each is individual.

The toys aren't here (except the one) because Hasbro had changed how they release toys. They didn't want anything to change the brand recognition of the movie toys, which is obvious because everyone maxed out on their displays a week before DoTM hit. However, they probably COULD have released a Bumblebee, since it is similar enough, but then again there are at least 3 Deluxe DoTM Bumblebee toys which are shelf warming already.

Should they have released Prime toys last year? Well they were still in RTS mode at that point, as well as the other items. Sure it doesn't make sense to not have toys out, especially with Hasbro's past performances. But they were trying to do too much at once! What if they did Prime toys before DoTM toys, then RTS and Generations wouldn't have come out!

Or alternatively they could hold the release of the TF Prime show until after DotM dies down. Then released the toys and show simultaneously.

Another thing to consider is the fact that the show is only on the Hub. Do you get the Hub?

I don't have Pay TV, but we certainly don't have the Hub on Free-To-Air television. I only watch TF Prime on YouTube.

• 1 month later...

Personally I think that to-date, the best Transformers series were Beast Wars and Transformers Animated. I suspect watching those two series somewhat spoiled Transformers Prime for me.

Transformers Prime didn't grab me immediately the way BW and T:A did, (admittedly I've only seen around 10 episodes, but the other two series had me hooked from the very first episode) but it does have some things going for it.

Optimus Prime is THE Optimus, Megatron is THE Megatron - you can sense the history these two share. Arcee isn't a token female 'bot. She can kick a** when she needs to (or just feels like it). On the other hand Bulkhead, Bumblebee and Ratchet seem to me to be shadows of their Animated counterparts - thats more a compliment to TF:Animated, though. Maybe learning more of their background will help.

The interaction between the scheming Starscream and the watchful Soundwave is interesting, the former always annoyed at being in the shadow of Megatron ("Excuse me, can I speak to the manager?"), and the latter always watching out for the interests of his true master (some of the Decepticons come across as pretty loyal, they just happen to be on the wrong side - perhaps signs of a potential faction change).

I would say the Decepticons are actually more interesting than Team Prime. Perhaps it's because Optimus is better at keeping his crew in line (Both BW and TF:A Optimuses had to fight for acceptance). What would the Autobots do if Prime was out-of-action?

The way I see it, TF:Prime is just getting to the good stuff. It can be a bit slow in parts (particularly the dialogue), but at times it's pretty epic. I'd prefer it if it did not get killed off anytime soon.

Things I'd like to see:

Dinobots

Shockwave (rival Decepticon Leader version - see how Starscream deals with that)

Other Decepticon and Autobot leaders (alternate Galvatron, Scorponok, Star Saber, Fort Max, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus?) TF politics should be interesting, especially when you get rival factions.

Powermaster Optimus Prime.

City Transformers (Trypticon?).

Bumblebee talking (the Animated version had some awesome dialogue - maybe in Season 2)

Omega Supreme.

Scourge and Cyclonus (minions of Unicron?).

Jetfire (G1 style).

Episodes set on other planets. For a TF series hyped to go beyond previous ones, the current Team Prime seem more-or-less stranded on Earth.

(Eventually) Optimus as an Autobot Leader as in, of an army, rather than just a team)

Archived