How long do you want TF: Prime to last?

Megatronus

Anyway, getting back on topic about TF Prime -- I do agree that Prime DOES try to make a more serious attempt at making Transformers more mature. But having said that, it's not working as well as the G1 comics or Beast Wars. There doesn't appear to be any real reason why these kids have to hang around the Autobots (don't their families worry? Are Miko's foster parents just plain negligent??) and in terms of dual appeal I think the show could be improved by:

+ More Autobot vs Decepticon action.

+ Remember, these are Transformers... in the Scraplets episode I don't think anyone actually transformed! Not much transforming in the Wheeljack ep either. Bah.

+ A continual story arc would be cool. Thus we would see the story gradually evolve as the series progresses. This is something that the G1 comics had, Beast Wars had and Animated also had, particularly in Seasons 2 and 3. You can have some "stand alone" episodes which aren't part of the overall continual story arc (e.g. "Transmutate"), but it'd be good to have more "complex" episodes that do weave into the overall fabric of the series' continuity (e.g. "The Agenda").

+ Two words: character development. It's what drives a story! As the series progresses we should see the characters transform -- not in a physical sense, but emotionally.

I think good character development is fundamental to any good form of story-telling.

I agree with everything you said, but I think you're glossing over how little character development or continuing story arc Beast Wars had in season one. That first season was almost all done-in-ones. Prime has already done one five-part story, and it's pretty early, so I'd give it some time; I'm betting we see some character development eventually. (Heck, the G1 Grimlock example took many years to play out, and was across two writers. Though he did evolve within Furman's run, I think the difference between Tyrant Grimlock and Pretender/Actionmaster/G2 Grimlock is largely one of different writers just having a different take on the guy.)

Also, I'm okay if they don't transform for the sake of transforming, especially because some episodes (like Convoy) have given them great reasons to transform. Besides, by the end of the G1 comics and in the G2 comics, there was hardly any transforming. And no one cares because the stories were good.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked by all the hate in this thread! I really assumed consensus on Prime would be "Best series since Beast Wars."

Seriously, this show seems designed to appeal to adult fans; it's easily the most mature series they've ever attempted. The voice acting is great, the scripting is solid. There's even some cool nods to Transformers lore (Scraplets!). I'm not sure what more you guys want.

With Animated, I felt weirdly embarrassed to be watching most of the time. Not Prime. I'm seriously stunned by how good it is. Even my girlfriend is actively interested in it.

Yeah, it has its problems. The stakes haven't been clearly defined, the world seems thin, and the overall story has lost momentum since the mini. But these are solvable things. Beast Wars suffered from many of the same problems in season one.

So to answer your question: I want it to go on for a good long time. Let's break the record with four seasons!

How can you say that when this show contains loads of movie influences and A LOT of people in the fandom fucking hate the movies?

Animated was probably the best written show since Beast Wars. A true fan in Derrick Wyatt really put in TONS of old Transformer nods. Way more then a single episode in Prime. Animated also had excellent animation and the action was badass. I havent seen anything on par with Lugnut's firepower or anything in Prime thats as funny. There were moments in Animated where I lost my breath from laughing. Ive only chuckled about 3 times through Prime.

I hate the movies and I hate that they are influencing this show. The designs in Prime are a little better. The writing is absolutely crippled by trying to produce laughs using 3 worthless kids and action from a "Con of the week" mentality (which Animated also suffered from). Prime has potential but so far its nothing compared to BW or even Animated. At least as far as I'm concerned.

He says it, because he really likes it. As is his right.

I was referring that portion to his assumption that everyone would think Prime would be the best thing since BW.

I think that's where I understand his position. He likes it so much, he doesn't see how anyone can't. I've been that into stuff before.

How can you say that when this show contains loads of movie influences and A LOT of people in the fandom fucking hate the movies?

Animated was probably the best written show since Beast Wars. A true fan in Derrick Wyatt really put in TONS of old Transformer nods. Way more then a single episode in Prime. Animated also had excellent animation and the action was badass. I havent seen anything on par with Lugnut's firepower or anything in Prime thats as funny. There were moments in Animated where I lost my breath from laughing. Ive only chuckled about 3 times through Prime.

I hate the movies and I hate that they are influencing this show. The designs in Prime are a little better. The writing is absolutely crippled by trying to produce laughs using 3 worthless kids and action from a "Con of the week" mentality (which Animated also suffered from). Prime has potential but so far its nothing compared to BW or even Animated. At least as far as I'm concerned.

As Robo Rob said, my assumption was that the quality of the show would be so obvious that most people would like it.

Look, the movies have problems (especially the second one), but their influence here is really pretty surface. The designs are reminiscent of the movie, Bumblebee is obviously designed to be the same character, and there is some cooperation with a human government. And that's pretty much it. Is your hatred of the movies really that intense that that's enough to put you off the show?

By the way, does anyone remember when Animated designs first showed up and the howl went up that they looked too cartoony, too distorted, too clearly aimed at kids? Or when Beast Wars came on and everyone complained that they didn't turn into cars? I am reasonably certain fans won't approve of a set of designs right off the bat unless they're a direct G1 port.

Admittedly, the kids seem out of place. But once you resign yourself to the fact that kids have clearly been mandated, they're at least executed reasonably well.

I will agree that the show at this early stage hasn't come close to achieving what Beast Wars and Animated wound up achieving. But those shows came out of the gate with problems too, and took time to grow into their awesomeness. Prime is already pretty dang awesome, and I'm really excited to see what it'll grow into.

Quality wise? BW was way better. Prime is flat, the only thing show wise that it has going for it is Peter Cullen. Other then that, Prime is a huge miss

Biased opinions are the right of all sentient beings... :win

:agree

makes it fun, especially when a show is craptacular :tfpuke

Archived