How long do you want TF: Prime to last?

Megatronus

I'm not sure what more you guys want.

I've been saying this since the 90's.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked by all the hate in this thread! I really assumed consensus on Prime would be "Best series since Beast Wars."

Seriously, this show seems designed to appeal to adult fans; it's easily the most mature series they've ever attempted. The voice acting is great, the scripting is solid. There's even some cool nods to Transformers lore (Scraplets!). I'm not sure what more you guys want.

With Animated, I felt weirdly embarrassed to be watching most of the time. Not Prime. I'm seriously stunned by how good it is. Even my girlfriend is actively interested in it.

Yeah, it has its problems. The stakes haven't been clearly defined, the world seems thin, and the overall story has lost momentum since the mini. But these are solvable things. Beast Wars suffered from many of the same problems in season one.

So to answer your question: I want it to go on for a good long time. Let's break the record with four seasons!

You just took every word right out of my mouth. I agree with EVERYTHING you said. Well, you know what they say. Great minds think alike. :P

Are you talking about before or after BW or BM?

Actually it was during. Somewhere between BW and MW complaints people found something to hate. Good thing I didn't have internet during G2, it certainly had it's dissenters too.

So far the only good thing about this series in the toys. The animation is flat, BW had more in the background. There are not enough Autobots or Decepticons. And its seem like 50 % of the series is relegated to the humans. And all of them except Agent Fowler are annoying especially Miko

So far it's not a horrible series, and I'm enjoying watching it for the most part. Yes it needs work, but alot of series early on need tweaking so I'll at least give it a chance. They definately need a larger core of both Cons and Bots, not just these 1 and done guys. The kids are kind of hit and miss, and it does seem like they're trying at least a little to bring more for the mature audiences, and not JUST kids. However with every episode that goes by, I feel more and more like I'm watching a Bayverse reboot series. Certain scenes, comments, and ideas are taken directly from the movies, and that bugs me. I know it's the same writers, but really... can't they come up with something original?

Oh and sorry Onslaught, on this one I've gotta disagree, Fowler annoys me more than anyone else in the series! :tflaugh

Good luck on that original thing man. So Fowler annoys you more then Miko?

Anyway watching Paint dry is more fun then trying to sit through an entire episode of this. I'd rather be watching RiD in sub titles then this

No, trust me, RID was better than CR :P

Actually it was during. Somewhere between BW and MW complaints people found something to hate. Good thing I didn't have internet during G2, it certainly had it's dissenters too.

If I recall, wasn't G2 just a replay of the G1 episodes, but just in a different order? ( Part of the reason I desided not to watch it. :P )

The cartoon wasn't the issue, most folks complaints were centered around different toy issues. Distribution was annoying. New molds were hard to find for some, while the repaints were varied in availability. I recall my local Kmart having a handful of the first batch for the longest time and hardly getting anything new. The comics were pretty popular, but you know for every person who likes something, there's someone who say's it sucks.

I think Car Robot is better than RiD. RiD cut stuff out for one thing, also things I preferred about Car Robot included:

+ Gigatron having different personalities in each of this modes, e.g. Gigabat being a bossy bully, Gigadragon being a menacing villain etc. I felt this wasn't carried through in RiD.

+ Despite popular belief, Gelshark/Sky-Byte does NOT speak in haiku. He just thinks he does. And in Car Robot this is something that Fire Convoy nitpicks him about -- technically what Gelshark/Sky-Byte prattles off is senryuu, not haiku. Senryuu is similar to haiku, but lacks the specific reference to nature which haiku must have (otherwise it's senryuu).

...and I generally just couldn't stand the dubbing. <shudder> Having said that, I can't wait to meet Neil Kaplan at Sydney SupaNova this year! :D Judging from the DVD interviews, he just seems like a really cool dude. :)

Anyway, getting back on topic about TF Prime -- I do agree that Prime DOES try to make a more serious attempt at making Transformers more mature. But having said that, it's not working as well as the G1 comics or Beast Wars. There doesn't appear to be any real reason why these kids have to hang around the Autobots (don't their families worry? Are Miko's foster parents just plain negligent??) and in terms of dual appeal I think the show could be improved by:

+ More Autobot vs Decepticon action.

+ Remember, these are Transformers... in the Scraplets episode I don't think anyone actually transformed! Not much transforming in the Wheeljack ep either. Bah.

+ A continual story arc would be cool. Thus we would see the story gradually evolve as the series progresses. This is something that the G1 comics had, Beast Wars had and Animated also had, particularly in Seasons 2 and 3. You can have some "stand alone" episodes which aren't part of the overall continual story arc (e.g. "Transmutate"), but it'd be good to have more "complex" episodes that do weave into the overall fabric of the series' continuity (e.g. "The Agenda").

+ Two words: character development. It's what drives a story! As the series progresses we should see the characters transform -- not in a physical sense, but emotionally.

I'll use an example from G1 (comics) and Beast Wars.

1: G1 Grimlock

At the beginning Grimlock was arrogant and stubborn, and was contemptuous of Optimus Prime always holding him and the Dinobots back because of their lack of a disguise on Earth. When Optimus Prime died, Grimlock was elected by the Autobots as their new leader. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and Grimlock became a ruthless tyrant, oppressing his fellow Autobots and even engaging in a civil conflict with other Autobots led by Fortress Maximus - only to be concluded by the presence of a common greater threat. But Grimlock later became one of Optimus Prime's most loyal soldiers -- even given command of Earthforce. When Optimus Prime died (again) after destroying Unicron, he personally named Grimlock as his successor (much to Prowl's great disappointment). Though he made a few mistakes in judgement, Grimlock did prove to be a better Autobot commander than last time as he did act with the Autobots' best interests at heart. And during G2 Optimus Prime was banking on Grimlock to disobey his orders and follow his heart - which Grimlock did, and saved Optimus Prime's arse. And Grimlock remained loyal throughout G2 and during the battle against the Swarm.

2: Cheetor

At the beginning of Beast Wars Cheetor was the immature and impulsive kid of the Maximal team. But as time progressed, he changed. By time he became a Transmetal he wasn't quite as rash as he once was, and even began resenting being treated as a youngling ("I'm not a kid... and maybe I'm not so nice either."). By time Cheetor became a Transmetal 2 he had grown from being the child to being the equivalent of an adolescent, or as Rattrap put it "Oh joy... cyber-puberty." :P By Beast Machines Cheetor had become a young adult... like a lot of young adults (think about what it's like looking for a job just after finishing your schooling - most people are qualified and feel competent, but lack sufficient work experience to impress some employers) he was qualified but lacked experience and thus was doubted by his fellow Maximals. But despite their doubts he did prove to be a competent leader.

I think good character development is fundamental to any good form of story-telling.

Archived