Optimus vs Rodimus vs ... ?

Bubbah

Um, just as a heads up Gok, I'm pretty sure by "BB" he meant Bumblebee, who was most certainly in G1 :tfgrin

And a pre-G1 series would be awesome, like you said, without even mentioning Optimus and Megatron. I'd be curious to see some of Kup's beginnings or bunch of the older ones like Sentinel, Alpha Trion, etc. Or even start farther back than that. I mean don't get me wrong, I've come to know and love all the usual suspects, but it would be a really nice change to see something totally different.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, just as a heads up Gok, I'm pretty sure by "BB" he meant Bumblebee, who was most certainly in G1 :tfgrin

And a pre-G1 series would be awesome, like you said, without even mentioning Optimus and Megatron. I'd be curious to see some of Kup's beginnings or bunch of the older ones like Sentinel, Alpha Trion, etc. Or even start farther back than that. I mean don't get me wrong, I've come to know and love all the usual suspects, but it would be a really nice change to see something totally different.

Or you could have it during G1. there is a gap after, that they never really went into millions of years where there really is nothing. But still a series in Nova Prime's or Sentinel Prime's era would be great

6 pages of discussion and has anyone mentioned Rodimus Prime from the G1 comics? Sure, G1 cartoon Rodimus Prime sucked, but I found his G1 counterpart to be a better leader. He didn't wallow about how he could never live up to Optimus Prime's legacy - he just got on with the job at hand. And even in death he continued to thwart the Decepticons (Rhythms of Darkness).

When was Rodimus Prime in the G1 Comics? Oh wait are you talking the UK comics? The only time I saw Rodimus in the Us marvel Comics is when he was stung up like rag doll by Galvatron oh and in the Animated movie comics. Don't remember him in dreamwave. And in IDW he was Just Hot Rod Renamed and of course he ran away like a coward and then he got Blown away into space by Megatron. Seems like a trend.

If you read the comics then you would see Sentinel Prime is a jerk

The original G1 Marvel Comics? Cos all he did was die and give Optimus Prime the Matrix. And in fact, we only saw this as a flashback through Unicron's eyes, and at the time he wasn't even named. It was only later on when the Creation Matrix cited Optimus Prime's predecessor as Sentinel Prime that the previously nameless Autobot (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Rodimus Prime ;)) was retconned as Sentinel Prime. We have NO idea what kind of character he was. He might've been a saint or a complete wanker... who knows.

DW's G1 Sentinel Prime... he was just broken pieces really. Almost everything we know about him comes from the Keepers Trilogy, and of course, that wasn't the real Sentinel Prime. Damn that was a crap story...

IDW's Sentinel Prime... I wouldn't say he was a jerk. He was actually critical of his own superiors - a corrupt and decadent government which arguably led to the rise of the Decepticons in the first place.

Magnus was a horrible leader, just look at how he was in the movie :P And in the series, Magnus is a 2nd in Command at best. Plus he got his ass handed to him by Sixshot and died

*shudder* don't remind me.

Anyway, what I meant was that as a kid I would have loved to see Ultra Magnus as leader because he just has such a kick-arse toy. That's what you want as the leader... the cool toy. :) And had he been assigned as leader by Hasbro, Sunbow/Toei would've probably made him suck a lot less. It was excruciating watching the cartoon play down such an awesomely cool figure.

Magnus was a cooler in the G1 comics though. Sure, he got beaten up a LOT, but that's cos he was often fighting Galvatron who's like a freakin' demi-god in the Marvel comics.

Dude how is Bumblebee a Predacon?

Bumblebee's an Autobot. BB's a Predacon.

BB was all over G1, You are confusing him with BB from Beast Wars II :P

Nope. The guy I quoted explicitly said "BB." Who is a Predacon. Fact.

bbvsbumblebee.jpg

bbnorbumblbeesigg1.png

When was Rodimus Prime in the G1 Comics? Oh wait are you talking the UK comics? The only time I saw Rodimus in the Us marvel Comics is when he was stung up like rag doll by Galvatron oh and in the Animated movie comics. Don't remember him in dreamwave.

Yeah, UK comics. Rodimus was a reasonably decent leader in the G1 Marvel comics. Target: 2006, the Time Wars... arguably the BEST stories ever written during G1. :)

While Rodimus Prime's appearance in the US comics was brief, he did leave an impressive legacy -- having founded a resistance movement against Galvatron and having even taught the humans how to fight against Decepticons using guerilla tactics. Even in death Rodimus continued to thwart and frustrate Galvatron. As Blackarachnia would say, "Not too shabby!" :D

Bumblebee's an Autobot. BB's a Predacon.

You do realize that BB is is Bumblebee's nickname right? and it was completely obvious that we are talking about Bumblebee right? :tflaugh

Destron, in the context of Beast Wars, is the Japanese term for Predacon, so it effectively translates as Predacon -- just as Convoy translates as Optimus Prime.

Destron, in the context of Beast Wars, is the Japanese term for Predacon, so it effectively translates as Predacon -- just as Convoy translates as Optimus Prime.

I can back you on BB not being Bumblebee if you keep all of your references literal. If you make concessions to allow alternate names for other things like Destron and Convoy, you must then allow others to call Bumblebee as BB. :P

^_^

The difference here is ambiguity. Also, I feel weird using Japanese terms when typing or speaking English (likewise it feels weird using Anglophone names when typing/speaking in Japanese... now that TOMY have decided to adopt more Anglophone names since I actually have to consciously make myself say things like "Oputimasu Puraimu" instead of "Convoy" -- feels freakin' weird. I still usually just use the Japanese terms when speaking in Japanese).

If I were to say that BB is a Predacon, okay sure, in Japanese it's called Destron, but that equates to Predacon when communicating in English. If someone says "BB", then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that, if there is no other qualifier, it refers to the actual character whose name is BB -- the Predacon (or Destron if you prefer).

If someone were to say "G1 BB" or "live action movie BB" then okay, I can accept that as being a reference to Bumblebee. As much as I really hate it, at least words like "G1" and "live action movie" disqualify it from being BB the Predacon, fine. But if someone says "BB" on its own without some kind of qualifier, then I think it's reasonable to assume that they are talking about BB and not Bumblebee.

For example if I were to say "Grimlock" -- but I meant Robots In Disguise Grimlock, unless I say "RiD Grimlock" then I think it would be reasonable for people to assume that I was talking about the Dinobot Grimlock, since he is the original owner of that name. Furthermore, BB isn't even an official name for Bumblebee.

But putting my personal bias aside, I can accept BB as an abbreviation for Bumblebee where there is a qualifier (I still hate it, but I'll accept it). But where there is no qualifier then it just becomes ambiguous at best.

Predacon is the same as Destron (in the context of Beast Wars). You're picking at synonyms... whether you want to call it Predacon or Destron, they both refer to the same thing ("evil" Beast Wars faction). Whereas Bumblebee and BB refer to two completely different Transformers -- and thus the terms are NOT synonymous with each other (at least not without a qualifier).

The difference here is ambiguity. Also, I feel weird using Japanese terms when typing or speaking English (likewise it feels weird using Anglophone names when typing/speaking in Japanese... now that TOMY have decided to adopt more Anglophone names since I actually have to consciously make myself say things like "Oputimasu Puraimu" instead of "Convoy" -- feels freakin' weird. I still usually just use the Japanese terms when speaking in Japanese).

If I were to say that BB is a Predacon, okay sure, in Japanese it's called Destron, but that equates to Predacon when communicating in English. If someone says "BB", then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that, if there is no other qualifier, it refers to the actual character whose name is BB -- the Predacon (or Destron if you prefer).

If someone were to say "G1 BB" or "live action movie BB" then okay, I can accept that as being a reference to Bumblebee. As much as I really hate it, at least words like "G1" and "live action movie" disqualify it from being BB the Predacon, fine. But if someone says "BB" on its own without some kind of qualifier, then I think it's reasonable to assume that they are talking about BB and not Bumblebee.

For example if I were to say "Grimlock" -- but I meant Robots In Disguise Grimlock, unless I say "RiD Grimlock" then I think it would be reasonable for people to assume that I was talking about the Dinobot Grimlock, since he is the original owner of that name. Furthermore, BB isn't even an official name for Bumblebee.

But putting my personal bias aside, I can accept BB as an abbreviation for Bumblebee where there is a qualifier (I still hate it, but I'll accept it). But where there is no qualifier then it just becomes ambiguous at best.

Predacon is the same as Destron (in the context of Beast Wars). You're picking at synonyms... whether you want to call it Predacon or Destron, they both refer to the same thing ("evil" Beast Wars faction). Whereas Bumblebee and BB refer to two completely different Transformers -- and thus the terms are NOT synonymous with each other (at least not without a qualifier).

Nah, its just BB for Bumblebee dude, especially since your the only one who though BB from Beast Wars Neo and everyone else knew we were talking about Bumblebee :P

Archived