Optimus vs Rodimus vs ... ?

Bubbah

Hot Rod is one of my favorite characters, but Rodiums Prime kinda blows. The Hot Rod Character in the movie does not act anything like the character Rodimus in the series. I know they are supposed to be the same guy, but it never felt the same. Kinda like Galvatron from the movie VS the series. I liked the fact he went crazy, but Nemoy did his own thing with the character.

I think that is the real issue: Both main characters we "retooled" after the film.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll throw a monkeywrench in here.

What if Kup became the leader of the Autobots?

Not really a monkey wrench in my opinion. If Kup is fit to lead the Elite guard which is supposed to be the best of the best of the Autobots then he'd certainly be fit to lead the Autobots in general. He's another one that would bring a more structured aspect to the Autobot ranks.

optimus prime = john wayne

i always hated rodimus as well - character AND the association of the writers totally underestimating their mistake in killing prime off. The new toy is one of the best reproductions we have had since the original tho.

Ultra magnus should have been the next one imho.

What bumble bee and some of the others are missing is the maturity and experience that comes with genuine leadership.

I do like Prowl in that position a bit - however, he doesn't fit the prime ability. He's better as a vetran warrior and councelor.

Outside of introducing a new character - I don't see a better option than Ultra Magnus.

I'm really surprised, I honestly thought more people loved Rodimus. So far it sounds like not one person even liked him (outside of the movie). Kind of a relief to know honestly. Although I would still be interested in hearing from at least someone who thinks he's great, just to see their side of him. It would be nice to see the post movie seasons redone and actually written in a way that's similar to his movie representation. Season 3 & 4 had some good stories and really good characters introduced, but there were quite a few times where the writing seemed forced or struggling, and Rodimus is a prime example (no pun intended, honestly lol). I mean I do understand what the writers were TRYING to do with the whole "inner struggle" thing, they do it with Optimus too. And it makes sense every once in a while, but Rodimus was that way nearly the entire time.

I do think Magnus is probably the best option to jump in and take over for a downed leader. He'd bring alot to the group, and in all honestly, I think the Autobots at times would've been better with him as leader than even Optimus, and Magnus over Rodimus isn't even a debate. But here's one to change things up ... how about Elita-1? She managed pretty well at leading her team when they were trapped on Cybertron, and even kept them hidden when the planet was infested with Decepticons. Seeing her in full control of the Autobots would certainly make things interesting.

I'm really surprised, I honestly thought more people loved Rodimus. So far it sounds like not one person even liked him (outside of the movie). Kind of a relief to know honestly. Although I would still be interested in hearing from at least someone who thinks he's great, just to see their side of him. It would be nice to see the post movie seasons redone and actually written in a way that's similar to his movie representation. Season 3 & 4 had some good stories and really good characters introduced, but there were quite a few times where the writing seemed forced or struggling, and Rodimus is a prime example (no pun intended, honestly lol). I mean I do understand what the writers were TRYING to do with the whole "inner struggle" thing, they do it with Optimus too. And it makes sense every once in a while, but Rodimus was that way nearly the entire time.

I do think Magnus is probably the best option to jump in and take over for a downed leader. He'd bring alot to the group, and in all honestly, I think the Autobots at times would've been better with him as leader than even Optimus, and Magnus over Rodimus isn't even a debate. But here's one to change things up ... how about Elita-1? She managed pretty well at leading her team when they were trapped on Cybertron, and even kept them hidden when the planet was infested with Decepticons. Seeing her in full control of the Autobots would certainly make things interesting.

Rodimus is actually my favorite Autobot. I simply hated how G1 handled him in the show. I mean, my god: even Galvaton was more fixated on Ultra Magnus than he was on Rodimus--even though the latter forcibly ejected him from Unicron, and even though Rodimus' appearance essentially marked the end of Decepticon control on Cybertron. For me, I saw it as the writers handling the decision to kill Optimus Prime horribly, over and over again. Of course Rodimus Prime failed. He was written to fail, and it was one of the lowest points of the Generation One animated continuity--if not THE worst point.

Elita-1 would be quite the interesting choice.

Truth be told I use to idolize Rodimus Prime as a little kid. But that was before I got a little older and saw the transformers movie. But it wasn't till my late teens, my aunt who was also a TF fan pointed out things that make Rodimus a poor leader. The more I rewatch a couple of season3 ep, the more I realize they dropped the ball with Rodimus Prime after the movie, and also the seeing some japanese ep of Headmaster didn't help most of the time it seem like Rodimus was more a excutive boss then a commanding officer of battle. But after watching alot of anime where young character to become great leader also the example of Primal, I forgive Rodimus but the G1 writer copped out IMO. After G1 Rodimus having a time reclaiming cool points, Energon (USA version of Superlink) wouldn't acknowledge him by Rodimus "Prime" instead was called "Commander" Rodimus, Superlink they gave him the Rodimus Convoy title. I been hoping for a cool Rodimus Prime for years, and I glad the writers of Animated didn't go for the A$$hole personality for Rodimus instead giving to Senteial Prime. Rodimus Minor had good potential in TF Animated, I was excited to see him and his team I thought season 3 we will see more of them but that turn out to be dud :( . If they would had continued with season 4 I would hope we will see more of Rodimus Minor. *Cross finger please hope the other TF animated news at Botcon will be them giving the series a proper ending or an extended season*

As a kid in the 80's I didn't really pick up on all the signs that Rodimus was a 'weak' leader. I guess so much changed between seasons 1/2 and season 3 that it was almost like watching a different show, so I just accepted the changes and didn't miss Optimus at all. Another thing I remember thinking back then was that Hot Rod was just a young punk, and being thrust into the grown-up body and responsibilities of Rodimus must have been like the kid in 'Big' waking up in a man's body. He's doing his best to cope even though he's not really ready. And of course when he no longer has the Matrix and reverts back to Hot Rod that's kind of like him being back to 'normal'.

On another note, surely Springer would be a strong candidate for leader?

As a kid in the 80's I didn't really pick up on all the signs that Rodimus was a 'weak' leader. I guess so much changed between seasons 1/2 and season 3 that it was almost like watching a different show, so I just accepted the changes and didn't miss Optimus at all. Another thing I remember thinking back then was that Hot Rod was just a young punk, and being thrust into the grown-up body and responsibilities of Rodimus must have been like the kid in 'Big' waking up in a man's body. He's doing his best to cope even though he's not really ready. And of course when he no longer has the Matrix and reverts back to Hot Rod that's kind of like him being back to 'normal'.

On another note, surely Springer would be a strong candidate for leader?

:agree

Archived