Marvel Comics

Cybcouncil

That would be an interesting experiment.

I'm from the UK and we used to get a mixture of US reprints and our own UK stories; it was always very noticeable how different the US colour printing technique was. Not just the style of people like Yomtov, who used to colour multiple bots entirely in red or blue (!) but the actual print quality too (your pages were enlarged for our bigger format, so individual dots of colour were obvious if you looked closely). By contrast the UK used smoother paper and printed in much cleaner colours.

There was an early period when the UK comic was largely black & white, so certain US pages were printed in black outline only (stories up to 'Repeat Performance' I think), which would give a clean starting point for a recolour experiment!

I wonder if we can get atleast issue 1 done. Get a bunch of photoshopers and each do 1 Page. Wonder if we need to get permission.

I think if it's just for our own amusement we'll be ok. Out of interest I dug out my Marvel UK issues and scanned the first few pages of 'The Last Stand' (I don't have any earlier issues). Would be cool to see some modern-style colour art on these...

th_LastStandP1.jpgth_LastStandP2.jpgth_LastStandP3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't know about all that. It would be cool to see but what I'm really jazzed about is the talk of picking up Marvel continuity with issue #81. That would be sweet!

• 2 months later...

We got both the US and UK issues here in Australia... and yeah, the colouring and print quality of the US issues was just horrific. It looked even worse when reprinted in the UK comics because the clearer print quality used by Marvel UK made the US printed look even more noticeably pixelated than they originally did in the US issues! :eek

I don't know about all that. It would be cool to see but what I'm really jazzed about is the talk of picking up Marvel continuity with issue #81. That would be sweet!

I would love to see that happen too

• 3 weeks later...

We got both the US and UK issues here in Australia... and yeah, the colouring and print quality of the US issues was just horrific. It looked even worse when reprinted in the UK comics because the clearer print quality used by Marvel UK made the US printed look even more noticeably pixelated than they originally did in the US issues! :eek

Ah didn't think of how it would translate to the larger print size of the UK comics. Was the entire run on larger stock than US, or did it go to the standard comic size at some point?

Archived