Anyone else frothing at the mouth for MP09?

Timothy.R

I already paid my pre-order, so now I'm just waiting for mine. I'm pretty excited, because I'm always amazed by the Matrix, and the fact that we're getting such a screen accurate version of Hot Rod is pretty awesome. I didn't think we'd get a Hot Rod figure this nice for years to come, but I'm not complaining- NOW IS GOOD TOO. I actually prefer his car mode over his truck mode, but I prefer his adult face. It's a great product and we're lucky to get it. No complaints here....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think you misunderstood what i was saying. i was listing figures that pretty much have the same amount of shellforming as hot rod.

And I say those figures are different AND have less shellforming -- if any at all :P. I have most (if not all) of those figures right in front of me. And when I think of the transformations of those figures and of MP RP/HR, then there’s a huge difference. With those figures the altmode is better incorporated in the robot mode and the robot mode better in the altmode.

Also, they’re deluxe class figures: $ 10 in the USA ($ 25 in Europe -- if even available). You really want to compare a deluxe class figure with a $ 200 MP figure? With a MP I want them to go further in the design than with a deluxe class figure.

Plus, I must say that the folded up backpack is pretty d@mn angular on this curvy streamlined robot...

plus, all that being said. if you want to call it a shellformer.. fine, but how is that a detraction? the way he transforms, is almost exactly the way he does in the movie. those parts go to the same place they go in the movie when he transforms. not only do we get incredible accuracy in each mode, but we get a very great toon accurate transformation. same as grimlock, who is a perfect figure.

Well, it’s a detraction because shellformers generally aren’t considered marvels of engineering. And this whole discussion started because I asked you how exactly a figure with one altmode that’s a 90+ percent shell and a second that’s 50- percent shell can be considered a piece of incredible engineering. It’s easy to give a TF two altmodes and all kind of features in robot mode if one of the altmodes is nothing more than a shell and the second for a significant part.

"This would’ve given us a perfect MP RP robot mode that actually transformed into the RP altmode. The HR altmode would then be less accurate but still recognisable. "

why in the world would anyone want that? most people like hot rod more than rodimus. hence.. most people waiting for the hasbro release. i don't see anyone wanting a hot rod mode that'll basically look like an afterthought. plus. it's not like rodimus's alt mode cab is a completely separate piece that you can take off and lose and what not. it is a part of the trailer that can obviously be hidden when you use the defense bay.

Unfortunately, you get no argument from me here. I don’t need to run a poll to know that in the western world, due to his incredibly poor representation in the cartoon, Rodimus Prime isn’t popular and Hot Rod is. (In Japan, however, it might be the other way around since they got a better Rodimus in headmasters and are more familiar with leaders beside Optimus.)

But you know, both the box and all the advertisements call this MP Rodimus PRIME. Not MP HOT Rodimus. So we should judge this as an MP Rodimus Prime. And to Rodimus Prime the Hot Rod mode should be second place. First and foremost, being a MP Rodimus Prime, is should be able to transform into Rodimus Prime his altmode (without needing a shell) and everything Hot Rod about it should be a bonus. Now...it’s the other way around.

And being a huge fan of Rodimus Prime (and yes, I was cheering when Optimus died in the movie and Rodimus became the new leader) I find the current design seriously lacking. If I, like you apparently, cared little about the Rodimus Prime and a lot about Hot Rod, I’d probably would react in the same way you do.

But I don’t. To me, Rodimus Prime takes precedence. And a MP that can’t transform into his own altmode without using a shell is cheating.

(Think of it like this: suppose MP Optimus Prime also had an Orion Pax mode and to get the Prime COE altmode you transformed the figure into his Pax altmode and put a large shell over it. That’s MP Orion Pax, not MP Optimus Prime.)

"Oh, Shellformer = “the majority of the alternate mode is a "shell" that closes completely (or close enough) around the robot parts, with the robot mode having very little genuine integration of the alternate-mode parts.” So those examples you named to counter the shellformer argument aren’t shellformers because they incorporate (most) of their altmode in robot mode, while the altmode incorporate robot parts."

how is the top of hot rods alt mode and the hatchback (or whatever you want to call it) account for a majority of its alt mode? the whole front of the car and the sides are all parts of the robot that can be seen from the front view. that's like saying that universe prowl is a shell former, the entire sides windshield and roof are a shell.

First, I said that the Hot Rod mode is about 50 percent shellformer. (And I’ll admit, it’s less.)

Second, although it looks like it, the chest doesn’t become the hood/front of the car in a one-on-one transformation. Looks like it, but isn’t.

Look at the HR altmode where the flamy hood connects to the window. You’ll see (on the side of the hood) that there’s a (pin) hinge; a hinge that is absent in robot mode. This means that along the break lines in the chest, the top half of the robot chest folds away (probably inside), you then fold out the backpack. And folded against the window there are new parts that look exactly like the chest but are new parts that form the hood from the break lines from the engine on.

i'm way excited

I’m very happy for you :)

Wish I could be happy about getting a (good) MP Rodimus Prime. But Hot Rod just doesn’t interest me and to me (and based on comments, to others as well) this is a MP Hot Rod.

post-2885-046197500 1295875871.jpg

it will be fantastic, but to me it feels like hotrod was 1st of the design process.

forgive me but aside from the face change and that rp's alt is the trailer it feels like a mp hot rod not rp. it has to be domestic release for me. like I need another trailer.

still, awesome! fp protector almost had me, but the head sculpt doesn't work for me.

and I can't do 200 usd + shipping, not for 1 figure. plus the us is going to be target master!? :lurk

i think you misunderstood what i was saying. i was listing figures that pretty much have the same amount of shellforming as hot rod.

And I say those figures are different AND have less shellforming -- if any at all :P. I have most (if not all) of those figures right in front of me. And when I think of the transformations of those figures and of MP RP/HR, then there’s a huge difference. With those figures the altmode is better incorporated in the robot mode and the robot mode better in the altmode.

Also, they’re deluxe class figures: $ 10 in the USA ($ 25 in Europe -- if even available). You really want to compare a deluxe class figure with a $ 200 MP figure? With a MP I want them to go further in the design than with a deluxe class figure.

Plus, I must say that the folded up backpack is pretty d@mn angular on this curvy streamlined robot...

plus, all that being said. if you want to call it a shellformer.. fine, but how is that a detraction? the way he transforms, is almost exactly the way he does in the movie. those parts go to the same place they go in the movie when he transforms. not only do we get incredible accuracy in each mode, but we get a very great toon accurate transformation. same as grimlock, who is a perfect figure.

Well, it’s a detraction because shellformers generally aren’t considered marvels of engineering. And this whole discussion started because I asked you how exactly a figure with one altmode that’s a 90+ percent shell and a second that’s 50- percent shell can be considered a piece of incredible engineering. It’s easy to give a TF two altmodes and all kind of features in robot mode if one of the altmodes is nothing more than a shell and the second for a significant part.

"This would’ve given us a perfect MP RP robot mode that actually transformed into the RP altmode. The HR altmode would then be less accurate but still recognisable. "

why in the world would anyone want that? most people like hot rod more than rodimus. hence.. most people waiting for the hasbro release. i don't see anyone wanting a hot rod mode that'll basically look like an afterthought. plus. it's not like rodimus's alt mode cab is a completely separate piece that you can take off and lose and what not. it is a part of the trailer that can obviously be hidden when you use the defense bay.

Unfortunately, you get no argument from me here. I don’t need to run a poll to know that in the western world, due to his incredibly poor representation in the cartoon, Rodimus Prime isn’t popular and Hot Rod is. (In Japan, however, it might be the other way around since they got a better Rodimus in headmasters and are more familiar with leaders beside Optimus.)

But you know, both the box and all the advertisements call this MP Rodimus PRIME. Not MP HOT Rodimus. So we should judge this as an MP Rodimus Prime. And to Rodimus Prime the Hot Rod mode should be second place. First and foremost, being a MP Rodimus Prime, is should be able to transform into Rodimus Prime his altmode (without needing a shell) and everything Hot Rod about it should be a bonus. Now...it’s the other way around.

And being a huge fan of Rodimus Prime (and yes, I was cheering when Optimus died in the movie and Rodimus became the new leader) I find the current design seriously lacking. If I, like you apparently, cared little about the Rodimus Prime and a lot about Hot Rod, I’d probably would react in the same way you do.

But I don’t. To me, Rodimus Prime takes precedence. And a MP that can’t transform into his own altmode without using a shell is cheating.

(Think of it like this: suppose MP Optimus Prime also had an Orion Pax mode and to get the Prime COE altmode you transformed the figure into his Pax altmode and put a large shell over it. That’s MP Orion Pax, not MP Optimus Prime.)

"Oh, Shellformer = “the majority of the alternate mode is a "shell" that closes completely (or close enough) around the robot parts, with the robot mode having very little genuine integration of the alternate-mode parts.” So those examples you named to counter the shellformer argument aren’t shellformers because they incorporate (most) of their altmode in robot mode, while the altmode incorporate robot parts."

how is the top of hot rods alt mode and the hatchback (or whatever you want to call it) account for a majority of its alt mode? the whole front of the car and the sides are all parts of the robot that can be seen from the front view. that's like saying that universe prowl is a shell former, the entire sides windshield and roof are a shell.

First, I said that the Hot Rod mode is about 50 percent shellformer. (And I’ll admit, it’s less.)

Second, although it looks like it, the chest doesn’t become the hood/front of the car in a one-on-one transformation. Looks like it, but isn’t.

Look at the HR altmode where the flamy hood connects to the window. You’ll see (on the side of the hood) that there’s a (pin) hinge; a hinge that is absent in robot mode. This means that along the break lines in the chest, the top half of the robot chest folds away (probably inside), you then fold out the backpack. And folded against the window there are new parts that look exactly like the chest but are new parts that form the hood from the break lines from the engine on.

i'm way excited

I’m very happy for you :)

Wish I could be happy about getting a (good) MP Rodimus Prime. But Hot Rod just doesn’t interest me and to me (and based on comments, to others as well) this is a MP Hot Rod.

On the one hand, I'm inclined to agree with most of your points, Rawhide. The one area I must take issue with is the perception, real or imagined, that the RP mode takes a backseat to the HR mode. To me, whether it is true or not is a non-issue, as HR's mode was going to--and this is purely my opinion here--appear to be the priority because in a sense, it must be. Actually, three. Firstly, with no HR, there's no RP. Why call the finished product Rodimus Convoy/Prime? Because, when HR was reformatted/upgraded into RP, HR essentially ceased to exist. Secondly, any RP mold incorporating a morph into HR must account for the fact that RP is based on the HR mode. Basically, the vehicular modes of the two are where most of the differences between RP and HR are made manifest...not the base mode. Which brings me to 3)as with a handful of characters in Season 3 (Galvatron being one noteworthy offender), there is no obvious sequence to explain how one transforms into their respective altmode. For example, Galvatron's animation model does not look like it can transform into his flying particle accelerator cannon mode. It just can't. Which is probably why we keep getting the Galvatron toys we do get, and also why the best Galvatron toy is basically a model kit. So, taking into account the subtle differences that exist in both HR and RPs (sans the trailer) alternate modes, I'm kind of at a loss as to what they could hope to accomplish without cheating...which is, you're 100% correct, exactly what they did. But what else could they do to produce essentially 4 modes that look like (and function like) their on-screen representations?

Normally, despite my name, I cannot stand a shellformer. I have G1 Scourge, so I know the pain of a bot hiding within an altmode shell. But I see justification for it here: to produce the best possible RP figure possible while incorporating the HR mode. And why shouldn't RP incorporate his previous mold? It might not be possible to ever produce a Megatron that can become Galvatron, but this one was certainly possible.

(Maybe one day, someone will produce a Bumblebee that can assume his Goldbug upgrade.)

FWIW, I am still hugely excited that this piece has been produced and is being made available for consumer production (holding out hope that Galvatron is the NEXT TF to receive the treatment), cheating and all, and I am 100% accepting this as a MP Rodimus Prime. It simply takes the bold step of including the character of HR as part of the heritage of RP.

Since I dont buy anything but G1 Reissues (and other than Predaking there has not been much going on there lately) and the Masterpiece line, the price does not really bother me. Of course, I do think 200 is a lot for one figure, but since I have not spent much lately it doesnt "hurt" too bad. Besides, this thing looks bad ass! I cant wait.

Weird! BBTS took this guy off their main page under the preorder section. It still says estimated to arrive today. What time do they get to work??? Somebody get in there and ship my loot to me!!!!!

It's not so much a question of whether or not one can afford the toy, but a question of value for money. If I really wanted to I could buy this toy, but I don't feel that this toy would give me value for my dollar and for the same price I could buy a whole bunch of cheaper Transformers.

Mine arrived Yesterday from TFSource. Havn't had time to open him up yet. But even the photo on the box screams - "all plastic." It doesn't seem very heavy at all for it's size.

The feet are the only parts that are metal. Be sure to take your time when transforming Hot Rod into car mode.

Archived