Anyone else frothing at the mouth for MP09?

Timothy.R

I dont remember everyone complaining about MP4's 200 plus price when it came out. They might have, but I dont remember. When you compare the two, it doesnt seem so bad to me. From what we have seen so far, I think its worth it. I am just glad we dont have to shell out 200 bucks for high end toys very often.

But yes, I am going nuts waiting for this thing.

BTW, late january usually means mid february from my experience.

Well, so far the only MP I've been impressed with is Grimlock, so I'm not inclined to spend $200 for one. But I was very impressed with the City Commander and G3 sets, so I'm thinking my best bet is to get the Protector trailer and call the Classic Rodimus/Protector combo my Masterpiece Rodimus Prime.

It's good for it's Classics category, but it's not anywhere near being a Masterpiece.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price tag's a bit steep, but it really isn't Rodimus Prime without the trailer...so I'd simply be inclined to pay the $200+ dollars and be done with it.

FWIW: The price tag looks less steep figuring in the following factor: I'd be paying that much over the course of 2011 in DLX figures ALONE--if I saw anything in DOTM worth splurging on. Which I don't. Taken that into account, it's easier to drop that amount of money on one toy.

The thing about it is this: Rod was one of my top 5 favorite characters from G1. I loved him. I enjoyed him a lot more than Optimus, who I didn't learn to like until Animated channeled Rodimus Prime through him and pretty much re-invented him. He looks like what he is: The Chosen One, and I always hated the way Season 3 essentially no-sold the character into non-existence. Even his toy was sub-par. So this release--which, on the surface looks to be as good as or better than MP Grimlock, which is the highest of the high praise, because that figure was a MIRACLE--has hit a particular chord with me, and I eagerly await it.

Well, so far the only MP I've been impressed with is Grimlock, so I'm not inclined to spend $200 for one. But I was very impressed with the City Commander and G3 sets, so I'm thinking my best bet is to get the Protector trailer and call the Classic Rodimus/Protector combo my Masterpiece Rodimus Prime.

It's good for it's Classics category, but it's not anywhere near being a Masterpiece.

I'd say the same thing, but mean the opposite. In general I like the Classic/Universe/Generations/Shield figures far more than the MP ones. MP figures get left on the shelf (or in the case of Optimus, the bottom of a tub) - Classics figures get played with.

But if Takara pulls off half of what they're attempting with Rodimus, he'll be the best one yet. I'm just not willing to pay $200 for it.

I have to say, for the price, I'm going to wait for Hasbro version w/o the trailer...

Yeah, the obscenely high price put me off too. And being so big you can't save on postage by bulk ordering a case load (cos it's like ONE toy per case). Having said that, Hasbro's price will probably be f'expensive too. :(

This is a tough one. I would like to see the difference between the Takara release and the Hasbro release before I make my decision. Like the G1 paint apps for Starscream and Skywarp and the different paint apps for Grimlock. I still will probably pick up both. These are Masterpieces right? ;)

Smokescreened where did you order yours from?

I can understand the price point being a bit high, but it's not like this is just some simple figure. plus the features/accessories seem much more.. useful than grimlocks. you get a matrix/chest compartment, the welding hand, the buzz saw hand, both heads, and two guns for one character that combine to form one gun for the other, and the goggles.

plus, the engineering on this looks incredible. and they did some excellent problem solving to make this look the best it can. i LOVE the fact that rodimus primes' front end is already attached to the trailer, i think that allows hot rod to be the best it can possibly be. I'm amazed that they were able to get all of those sleek curvy lines in robot mode.

I'm a bit biased when it comes to price. i got MP04, which was about $230-$250 i think. and the trailer was practically useless in robot mode. granted prime was taller and had more diecast, but that doesn't make the figure better. i prefer less diecast and a smaller scale. i personally think grimlock is the perfect masterpiece size and had the perfect amount of diecast. I think it's a lot easier to pose and mess around with a figure when it's lacking a large amount of diecast. my MP04 has two modes, alt mode, and stand up straight robot mode, i have a feeling that that won't be the case with rodimus prime. plus, when i was a kid hot rod was probably my favorite character tied with prime.

i don't think there is a post that says this on here.. but i want to get this off my chest. i hate when people say that they're mad, or that it's stupid that rodimus's trailer isn't incorporated into his robot mode.. why would it be? primes wasn't.. G1 hot rod looked exactly like G1 rodimus prime, only rodimus is a little taller (which the MP09 has achieved) and the lines on their faces were different (which, again, MP09 achieved).

also, i hate when people complain about the size. the only large masterpiece figures are the prime mold and the megatron mold. and that has obviously been done for a reason.. they were both the classic leaders. the original leaders of their factions. they're the most popular.. which also means that people, at the time, would be more willing to shell out because of their popularity.

I understand that a lot of people like the protector armor. i would have picked it up if there was no MP09 because i have the city commander set and it's beautiful. i personally think the protector armor doesn't even hold a candle to MP09. i'm just not a big fan of it's spoiler, the exhausts on his arms, and his head. plus. if you just want it in hot rod mode.. then it's not all that great. i really wish hasbro would release a new generations/rts hot rod.. or voyager rodimus prime. but that'll never happen. all that being said. the protector armor is still incredible and i'd definitely get it if i weren't getting MP09, i love transforming city commander back and forth.

anyways.. for masterpiece figures, i usually ask for them for christmas or my birthday. hot rod for instance, is going to be a christmas present, i only asked for two figures for christmas MP09 and movie masterpiece Starscream (which is definitely tied with buster prime (which was last years christmas present) for my favorite movie figure.

I've ordered my MP Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime from Epic Heroes, cost £135 as a whole, that's with P&P and shipping added.

He does look great, I'm amazed just how accurate he looks in the pictures, but while MP Grimlock was amazing, he was lacking due to the lack of extras and very, very simple transformation - not a bad thing, but considering how much he costs then some better extras would have been nice to make up for the simple transformation - after the excellent MP Op. Prime and Starscream and Skywarp, and to a small extent MP Megatron - if you could get him to stand well with his cannon attached after spending a lot of time swearing while transforming him, I've transformed him back and forth maybe four, five times as a whole.

Just too fragile and delicate.

What I'm worried about is the kind of fragile parts that have me so worried when I transform MP Megs, one part has always snapped off him - a small tab for when transforming him to gun mode has left the trigger connection a little loose.

Hopefully MP HR/RP won't be as fragile as MP Megs while having a slightly more involved transformation than MP Grimlock, but not the 'I want to murder someone' transformation of MP Megs.

If I like MP HR/RP a lot, then I'll be buying the Hasbro version as well so that I can have one as Hot Rod and the other as Rodimus.

plus, the engineering on this looks incredible.

Uhm, exactly what part of the engineering looks incredible to you?

The Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime changes in robot mode are nothing special: face changing, increasing size by not fully transforming the legs, and changing the angle of the wing. Well, you can do the same thing with the MP seeker mold.

The Rodimus Prime altmode is about 90 percent (or more) shell with a Hot Rod altmode stuck in backwards and some parts folded up. Making something transform into a specific altmode by putting a shell over it, isn't that special. (that's saying that the G1 pretender Beasts features amazing engineering because they turned into lifelike beast -- it was just a pretender shell over a folded up robot.)

The Hot Rod alt mode is about 50 percent shell: the second half of the hood, the roof and the tailpart is all one shell. A shell that folds up and with huge gaps in between forms his upper body.

Engineering wise...it's one big cheat.

plus, the engineering on this looks incredible.

Uhm, exactly what part of the engineering looks incredible to you?

The Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime changes in robot mode are nothing special: face changing, increasing size by not fully transforming the legs, and changing the angle of the wing. Well, you can do the same thing with the MP seeker mold.

The Rodimus Prime altmode is about 90 percent (or more) shell with a Hot Rod altmode stuck in backwards and some parts folded up. Making something transform into a specific altmode by putting a shell over it, isn't that special. (that's saying that the G1 pretender Beasts features amazing engineering because they turned into lifelike beast -- it was just a pretender shell over a folded up robot.)

The Hot Rod alt mode is about 50 percent shell: the second half of the hood, the roof and the tailpart is all one shell. A shell that folds up and with huge gaps in between forms his upper body.

Engineering wise...it's one big cheat.

If I buy this, it will definitely be the HasTak version. As for the "shell", I'll simply do like with MP Megs: take the kibble and revert it back to its' original positions on the body. I'll also repaint the chest so that the maroon goes right up to his flames, mod the head a bit do it more approaches the G1 toy (without being a "Motorhead", glue the face so whiny Rodimus doesn't ever see the light of day again, and even print up some decals to add more G1 flavor.

Insane? Maybe. "Geewone"? Definitely.

Settling for another shellbot? Not a freakin' chance, kimosabe.

Archived