Updates of G1 Characters

Breaker

Same thing with WFC Soundwave. He was meant to be G1, but landed in Prime. So he couldn't be counted. Seaspray was meant for something like Generations, but landed in HFTD making him a Bayverse character. Thus I cant count him.

EDIT: yeah okay. I re-read the notes and I think there is enough play there to re-add him. Unless he appears in any sort of media that contradicts it that is. But I dont have any reason to think he'll appear in any live action capacity.

As much as I love the Seaspray figure, and would LOVE to see a live action version done (an LCAC Transformer would be sick!!!) I also know Bay, and Seaspray would make me cry lol..

And out of curiosity, Cliffjumper was never shown in WFC was he? His toy is just done as an excuse to have another CJ toy using a Bumblebee mold huh?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its too bad you cant count ROTF Hoist, because i think hes the closest incarnation we will be getting for a long while (granted hes a little more badass looking than the G1. oh well, wont stop me from having him pal around with my RTS Grapple

Even if they were designed with G1 in mind and released under Energon or PCC or whatever, they would count if they were specifically made to be updates for those characters. Instead those figures serve as Energon characters named Swoop and Grimlock who share a lot in common with their G1 namesakes, but they aren't the same characters. So they dont count.

Grimlock and Swoop aren't really Energon characters, they didn't appear in the show at all.

They are just modern updates of the G1 toys.

But they do have an added gimmick that allows them to combine. Guess you could use that to disqualify them, but it seems rather arbitrary, especially with stuff like Universe Blaster, Universe Springer, Universe Blades, Alternators Arcee, Titanium Hot Spot, etc. on the list who were clearly not designed to be G1 updates (slapping on new paint and a name doesn't count in my book).

They are Energon characters, even if they didnt appear in the show/comics. Same thing with Bayverse Hoist. He's a movie character even tho he hasnt been in any fiction. Or hell, a million G1 characters who have never been anything more then a toy. But they're G1.

I agree the Movie Hoist does look about as close to an update as we'll probably see, but I agree with Breaker. I don't think he should be counted especially since that mold is just a repaint of a movie inspired character and not a new mold designed to actually be Hoist. And yes, lots of G1 characters were originally repaints, but they were repaints of other G1's, not of another line altogether. That's where I'm personally seeing the difference.

I said nothing of Hoist. He looks too much like the movie bots and is just a repaint of Longarm. He wouldn't go on my list.

Oh I know, I was just commenting on Hoist because he's been talked about more. As for Energon Grimlock/Swoop, they're decent figures on their own, but neither one of them remind me of their G1 counterparts aside from maybe Grimlock's head scultp, and even that's being generous. Neither one of those were designed to be remakes of the originals, and personally I think the Animated Swoop is much closer to G1 then the Energon version. Yes they were given similar alt modes, and their namesakes, but nothing about them says G1. Plus as you said about Hoist, he's got a very movie look to him and so that's why he was left off. Both Grimlock and Swoop have a very AEC look and feel to them, and then add in the Powerlink gimmick from Energon and for me, it's an easy to call to leave them off.

Luckily we've all got opinions on this so it gets tweeked and talked about, which is half the fun in it. I try not to let which line a toy is in to force me to decide on whether it's a G1 update or not, just because a label should not void out the spirit of it. Luckily with most lines, they all have a very familiar and similar look to each other, so it's very easy to group them accordingly. Look at Seaspray and Starscream. Both from the HftD lines. Seaspray has the look and, per Hasbro, was intended to be an updated version; however, the Starscream from the same line is without question a movie toy, and nothing close to G1.

1sITU.jpg

tfVWT.jpgMRHP3.jpg

Not going to argue that it's a good figure, but it looks closer than the classics figure. Same alt mode, same transformation scheme. Generally the same paint scheme as well, just the paint shades are brighter and more toy-like.

owWT8.jpg

RQ14h.jpgchJ60.jpg

Energon Swoop's color scheme is less accurate, but otherwise pretty close.

I try not to let which line a toy is in to force me to decide on whether it's a G1 update or not, just because a label should not void out the spirit of it.

That's how I feel about it.

To pretend all of the repaints of Cybertron molds in Universe are G1 updates because they've been given a new name and paint scheme but disregard others as not G1 updates because they're not in Universe seems arbitrary.

Archived