Updates of G1 Characters

Breaker

Even if they were designed with G1 in mind and released under Energon or PCC or whatever, they would count if they were specifically made to be updates for those characters. Instead those figures serve as Energon characters named Swoop and Grimlock who share a lot in common with their G1 namesakes, but they aren't the same characters. So they dont count.

HFTD Seaspray counts because he is a G1 update but released in a non-CHUD line. But he is specifically a G1 update.

Nevermind. I double-checked myself. Though Seapsray is based on his G1 self he serves as a Bayverse character (like Bludgeon and Mindwipe), so he doesn't count. At best character like those (and Energon Dinobots) are placeholder figures, which makes them not count.

Lets keep in mind that Hasbro keeps around heritage names, color schemes and personalities. Just because they share similar attributes does not make them the same.

What all are the different ones/lines are you including? And please say what they are because people like me have no clue what "PCC, TCC... m o u s e...." lol -What about including Beast Wars, RiD and such? Hell.. I actually would prob enjoy making a small spreadsheet showing a "checklist" of who has been in what series :) But would have to know what series you are including

This is a G1 list. Granted Beast Wars is a part of G1 but thats not the focus of this list. Even if they were included I would only have to add like 2 other figures. This list is based purely off of characters in the G1 cartoon only. So that rites out BW/BM/RiD/comic characters, etc.

For your info:

TCC = Transformers Collectors Club (Officially sanctioned by Hasbro, they run Botcon, etc)

PCC = Power Core Combiners (a line of scout class figures that combine with vehicle drones)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any new Transformer that is in a smaller scale than its vintage G1 counterpart shouldn't count.

Anything larger counts, unless it's exceptionally grotesque, like Universe Powerglide.

I think Masterpiece, Classics, Universe, Generations, Hunt for the Decepticons and Reveal the Shield should only count in this list.

For example, one might be tempted to include Cybertron Blurr as an update of G1 Blurr. Why? Not only do we have Generations Blurr, but Cybertron Blurr has a lousy robot mode that is the result of the Mini-Con/Cyberkey gimmick. Due to such an obvious, series specific gimmick, Cybertron Blurr shouldn't count.

Any new Transformer that is in a smaller scale than its vintage G1 counterpart shouldn't count.

Anything larger counts, unless it's exceptionally grotesque, like Universe Powerglide.

I think Masterpiece, Classics, Universe, Generations, Hunt for the Decepticons and Reveal the Shield should only count in this list.

For example, one might be tempted to include Cybertron Blurr as an update of G1 Blurr. Why? Not only do we have Generations Blurr, but Cybertron Blurr has a lousy robot mode that is the result of the Mini-Con/Cyberkey gimmick. Due to such an obvious, series specific gimmick, Cybertron Blurr shouldn't count.

I agree with you, thats why I initially left Legends off the list. And thats why I dont own a Ultra class Powerglide. But for the fairness and matter-of-fact-ness of the list they gotta count. Whether they were good or bad.

And honestly, MP, Classics, Universe, Generations, Reveal The Shield and their Japanese counterparts are just about all of them. Only a handfull are anything else.

Actually, G1 Outback has had an update. He was released as part of the BotCon Games of Deception set along with Chromia, Deathsaurus, etc. under the name Fallback. They couldn't get the trademark for the name "Outback" so they used the name Fallback instead. That same set also was the first to update G1 Ironhide and Ratchet as redecos of the Energon Towline figure as a base with a new head.

Good work there Breaker!!

Alls i know is that i really need a Generations/United/Rts whatever!........SNARL and SLUDGE!! and not wimpy versions either.

Point of that list i think is that there are lots of figures we can hope to see in the future and hopefully we will get and will keep getting for a couple few more years yet.

SNARL PLEASE!!....now preferably

Loving' the list Breaker, nice work!

Out of curiosity though, what's wrong with counting the TRU exclusive release for the Insecticons? And we could always look through the Titanium series for some guys.

Oh yeah, I'm shocked they haven't done the rest of the Dinobots!!!

Can you really count the "updates" that don't have the same alt modes as their G1 counterparts though? Blaster and Perceptor namely

Isn't finding a new, modern alt form the whole point of an update? Blaster's function wasn't "Radio" it was "Communications" so a laptop is a perfectly suitable alt mode. Perceptor's was simply "Scientist" so an observation vehicle is a good fit, it's not like he turned into a train or a tractor or something.

ex: WFC Soundwave is vastly different from his G1 form but because WFC is based in G1 (and Prime unfortunately) then that makes it count as an update for G1.

I'm surprised nobody else has corrected you on this. WFC/Prime and the rest are a new continuity launching point. Hasbro has made it very clear that these are NOT G1, they are something entirely different. If things like Energon or the new movies can't be counted as G1 updates then neither can WFC figures, they're officially different characters.

As for what to add to the list:

Botcon Overkill, a Grimlock repaint that predates the Universe version.

Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

Emerje

Loving' the list Breaker, nice work!

Out of curiosity though, what's wrong with counting the TRU exclusive release for the Insecticons? And we could always look through the Titanium series for some guys.

Oh yeah, I'm shocked they haven't done the rest of the Dinobots!!!

Titaniums, yeah they count. The TRU Insecticons don't count because they are re-issues of the original toy. Not updated toys using today's tech to bring them in to the 21st century.

Can you really count the "updates" that don't have the same alt modes as their G1 counterparts though? Blaster and Perceptor namely

Isn't finding a new, modern alt form the whole point of an update? Blaster's function wasn't "Radio" it was "Communications" so a laptop is a perfectly suitable alt mode. Perceptor's was simply "Scientist" so an observation vehicle is a good fit, it's not like he turned into a train or a tractor or something.

ex: WFC Soundwave is vastly different from his G1 form but because WFC is based in G1 (and Prime unfortunately) then that makes it count as an update for G1.

I'm surprised nobody else has corrected you on this. WFC/Prime and the rest are a new continuity launching point. Hasbro has made it very clear that these are NOT G1, they are something entirely different. If things like Energon or the new movies can't be counted as G1 updates then neither can WFC figures, they're officially different characters.

As for what to add to the list:

Botcon Overkill, a Grimlock repaint that predates the Universe version.

Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

Emerje

The developer of the WFC game, High Moon Studios, has explicitly stated that the story takes place in G1. Hasbro unfortunately twisted it into Prime (which is why everyone in WFC looks more like their G1 counterparts, and there is a noticeable gap in styles between it and Prime). So while officially, its just Prime, Im including them because the figures that branch off from the game, also inherit that intended G1 spirit.

Botcon stuff will be added. Didnt know there was a MP Magnus tho.

does Lazerbeak -real gear, MP3 Soundwave, Earphone Rumble & Frenzy, USB Ravage, mouse Grimlock & Tripticon, ROTF Gears and the new Seaspray count?

Archived