Updates of G1 Characters

Breaker

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you really count the "updates" that don't have the same alt modes as their G1 counterparts though? Blaster and Perceptor namely

As to Hoist, he did get an update (a pretty good one although not all G1 accurate) as an ROTF figure and he's pretty good IMO as well as Brawn and Gears which I can deal with. Where did Warpath come from though?

An indepth list but you forgot about the universe classics devastator, and universe releases of Bruticus and Superion, I know they are repaints but not of G1 characters and with the Fans Project add-ons they do become unique characters. I know the fans project isn't Hasbro but the figures on their own are still updates of G1 characters surely they should be in the list. I also think that any ROTF or HFTD homages should be included as well, I also count PCC Huffer as a G1 reissue too, despite the scary face. I dream one day of updated dinobots and insecticons. Maybe Fansproject will help us out. Just need a second mortgage to pay for it all. One last thing if you were to do a list of general release figures in the UK they'd nearly all be blank.

Would Trailcutter count for an update for Trailbreaker, or does it have to be a deluxe or larger range figure to count?

Trailcutter counts, even though a dlx release would be better IMO

Wow, nice work, Breaker!

My question though, where are the rest of the dinobots? They're some of the few transformers to exist throughout the entire show since their debut, only others I can think of are Jazz and Bumblebee, so why haven't they earned their Universe/RTS toys yet?

Good question! I'm also surprised we haven't seen the Insecticons yet. Those two groups stick in my mind the best because they were so unique.

Plus Transformers is a toy brand aimed at young boys. Since when are dinosaurs and bugs not appealing? I agree, more dinos and bugs pls.

Can you really count the "updates" that don't have the same alt modes as their G1 counterparts though? Blaster and Perceptor namely

They count because if I excluded them based on that, I couldn't include half the stuff on the list. Tracks is a Corvette in G1 but he's not really a Corvette in RTS. A lot of the updates have to have slightly altered vehicle modes to avoid legal reproductions (or sharing profits) for using licensed vehicles. Blaster, Perceptor and Soundwave are interesting cases in that their alt modes differ greatly from their G1 forms. They are accepted however because despite this, they are officially updates of those characters as per TFwiki.

ex: WFC Soundwave is vastly different from his G1 form but because WFC is based in G1 (and Prime unfortunately) then that makes it count as an update for G1.

I suppose you are primarily including versions introduced in Classics/Universe/Generations/HFTDF/RTS. But would you consider Alternators? They are very G1-like. You don't have Skids listed as having an update. He was one as well as others.

Alternators count for the ones based on G1 characters, they just slipped my mind; look for that to be edited.

As to Hoist, he did get an update (a pretty good one although not all G1 accurate) as an ROTF figure and he's pretty good IMO as well as Brawn and Gears which I can deal with. Where did Warpath come from though?

ROTF Hoist was a different character. He is not G1 Hoist but a separate character in a separate universe. At best he is a placeholder until a proper Hoist is made but placeholders officially dont count. They are open to too much subjectivity of different individuals.

Warpath was released as a Legends class along side Beachcomber (and I think Wheelie) in Universe. Hard to find at retail tho.

The energon line had Swoop in that 2 pack with Grimlock & they had Shockblast which was a Shock Wave homage.

Those characters are Energon characters, not G1. Even if they look similar and inherit much of G1 aesthetics, they still only count as placeholders.

An indepth list but you forgot about the universe classics devastator, and universe releases of Bruticus and Superion, I know they are repaints but not of G1 characters and with the Fans Project add-ons they do become unique characters. I know the fans project isn't Hasbro but the figures on their own are still updates of G1 characters surely they should be in the list. I also think that any ROTF or HFTD homages should be included as well, I also count PCC Huffer as a G1 reissue too, despite the scary face. I dream one day of updated dinobots and insecticons. Maybe Fansproject will help us out. Just need a second mortgage to pay for it all. One last thing if you were to do a list of general release figures in the UK they'd nearly all be blank.

Universe Combiners need to be on the list (unfortunately).

Homages cant count. As I said, placeholders are open to subjectivity. An above poster said that ROTF Hoist is good as G1 Hoist for instance, I happen to disagree. Fans Project and other fan-made creations don't count as they aren't official releases. Finally PCC are all brand new characters that are merely inspired in theme by G1 combiners. They aren't G1.

Oh, and you know FP is making Insecticons right?

i think if a pcc character is obviosly supposed to be an original character it should count (i.e. huffer), i also disagree about discounting energon grimlock and swoop as they were created as updates to the g1 bots but were released in energon because universe was done.(i also think dead on homages from other lines like a.e.c. and rid should count). also are you counting the g1 tribute spychangers that came out after r.i.d.? they were released under just "transformers" and they were the legends class of thier time.

but i do agree that bayverse should not count, even if its based on a g1 character.

What all are the different ones/lines are you including? And please say what they are because people like me have no clue what "PCC, TCC... m o u s e...." lol -What about including Beast Wars, RiD and such? Hell.. I actually would prob enjoy making a small spreadsheet showing a "checklist" of who has been in what series :) But would have to know what series you are including

Archived