Takara 2010 Reissue Predaking

Yuyuyami

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh... i'm plannin on gettin the original.

Is there a reason to go for the original and not this?

the only re-issue i have is god ginrai and i got that one back when it was released. all of my other g1's are originals.

Besides the gold paint on this reissue, and other minor changes on others, does having an original over a reissue matter? What benefit does it give? It's just more money down the drain, usually, for a figure probably in worse condition, or at least older and more brittle from age.

:agree Personally I would much rather open a brand new box with a minty-fresh reissue inside and be the one to apply (or choose not to apply!) the stickers. I've only hunted down a couple of rare vintage figs (Whirl was the last) and generally disappointed by the whole grubby/scratched/second-hand/tatty box with Tech-specs cut out aspect.

In this case, the shiny new colour scheme makes me actually *want* the reissue even though I never much cared for the original. I think he looks much better. And die-cast = huge bonus :D

I am right there with you on this one. Brand new MISB (until i open it) vs 25 year old incomplete and more expensive. Thats an easy decision for me. Dont get me wrong, if I had the money I would track down all of the original G1 figs I could. But I dont.

All I really collect are reissue G1 and MPs, oh and just about any Optimus I cant get my hands on.

meh... i'm plannin on gettin the original.

Is there a reason to go for the original and not this?

the only re-issue i have is god ginrai and i got that one back when it was released. all of my other g1's are originals.

Besides the gold paint on this reissue, and other minor changes on others, does having an original over a reissue matter? What benefit does it give? It's just more money down the drain, usually, for a figure probably in worse condition, or at least older and more brittle from age.

:agree Personally I would much rather open a brand new box with a minty-fresh reissue inside and be the one to apply (or choose not to apply!) the stickers. I've only hunted down a couple of rare vintage figs (Whirl was the last) and generally disappointed by the whole grubby/scratched/second-hand/tatty box with Tech-specs cut out aspect.

In this case, the shiny new colour scheme makes me actually *want* the reissue even though I never much cared for the original. I think he looks much better. And die-cast = huge bonus :D

I am right there with you on this one. Brand new MISB (until i open it) vs 25 year old incomplete and more expensive. Thats an easy decision for me. Dont get me wrong, if I had the money I would track down all of the original G1 figs I could. But I dont.

All I really collect are reissue G1 and MPs, oh and just about any Optimus I cant get my hands on.

it's like getting a a vintage ford mustang over a new one... i'd rather have a vintage myself (although i don't really care for american cars)

also, half the fun of collecting the originals is finding them.

it's a treasure hunt.

i've gone through 2 rodimus primes to get one thats perfect... 3 sideswipes finally to end up with a japanese one 1st release version. 2 astrotrains, 3 metroplex's, a set of decepticon clones... etc etc...

it's like getting a a vintage ford mustang over a new one... i'd rather have a vintage myself (although i don't really care for american cars)

also, half the fun of collecting the originals is finding them.

it's a treasure hunt.

i've gone through 2 rodimus primes to get one thats perfect... 3 sideswipes finally to end up with a japanese one 1st release version. 2 astrotrains, 3 metroplex's, a set of decepticon clones... etc etc...

Yeah I get that, but if they reissued a vintage mustang....

If I could afford it, I'd get it.

I already have a plastic Rampage in decent shape (Though stickers are fading and he lacks accessories) that I could easily swap the one in the set with.

Meh... I just got the 2004 reissue. It's cheaper (the 2010 reissue's RRP is 1750JPY more expensive than the 2004 reissue's) - and if there are QC issues with this set, then why pay more?? The only figure I think that suffers from being die-cast is Headstrong, because he just becomes far too back-heavy in robot mode.

Besides the gold paint on this reissue, and other minor changes on others, does having an original over a reissue matter? What benefit does it give?

"Minor" is subjective, to some people switching from yellow to gold and some of the other aesthetic changes may be significant for them to go for original G1s or the 2004 reissue. Also, some people prefer collecting original G1s over reissues because a reissue is a replica of an original toy. Now they're not as bad as knockoffs which are just pure counterfeits (and illegal) -- but reissues are replicas. I don't mind reissues -- I'll happily collect officially licensed replicas. But I can see why other people may not want to if they insist on having a pure G1 collection (i.e. a Transformer toy manufactured between 1984-93 and not sold under the "Generation 2" banner).

The benefit for some collectors may be the satisfaction of knowing that their toy is an original G1 toy and not a replica. It's similar to why I refuse to buy unlicensed Transformers such as KOs or 3rd party items. I want the satisfaction of knowing that my Transformers collection is an authentic and genuine Transformers collection, and I would rather pay extra for that satisfaction (although it seems that some KOs are actually more expensive than getting the originals -- I recently acquired Spike and Zarak for $10 cheaper each (i.e. saved $20) than what I would have paid for their KOs)... that and I refuse to use my money to help fund thieves who are stealing HasTak's intellectual property, but of course this argument is completely irrelevant for reissues which are made by HasTak. But I can understand the desire for original authenticity (as opposed to authentic replicas).

It's just more money down the drain, usually, for a figure probably in worse condition, or at least older and more brittle from age.

Yeah but it's their money and if they want to waste it on old G1 toys, then that's their choice. I personally don't agree with it... I'd rather get a cheaper reissue that I know will be MISB rather than shell out for an aged G1 toy. But these are our personal standards and other people have theirs.

Meh... I just got the 2004 reissue. It's cheaper (the 2010 reissue's RRP is 1750JPY more expensive than the 2004 reissue's) - and if there are QC issues with this set, then why pay more?? The only figure I think that suffers from being die-cast is Headstrong, because he just becomes far too back-heavy in robot mode.

Besides the gold paint on this reissue, and other minor changes on others, does having an original over a reissue matter? What benefit does it give?

"Minor" is subjective, to some people switching from yellow to gold and some of the other aesthetic changes may be significant for them to go for original G1s or the 2004 reissue. Also, some people prefer collecting original G1s over reissues because a reissue is a replica of an original toy. Now they're not as bad as knockoffs which are just pure counterfeits (and illegal) -- but reissues are replicas. I don't mind reissues -- I'll happily collect officially licensed replicas. But I can see why other people may not want to if they insist on having a pure G1 collection (i.e. a Transformer toy manufactured between 1984-93 and not sold under the "Generation 2" banner).

The benefit for some collectors may be the satisfaction of knowing that their toy is an original G1 toy and not a replica. It's similar to why I refuse to buy unlicensed Transformers such as KOs or 3rd party items. I want the satisfaction of knowing that my Transformers collection is an authentic and genuine Transformers collection, and I would rather pay extra for that satisfaction (although it seems that some KOs are actually more expensive than getting the originals -- I recently acquired Spike and Zarak for $10 cheaper each (i.e. saved $20) than what I would have paid for their KOs)... that and I refuse to use my money to help fund thieves who are stealing HasTak's intellectual property, but of course this argument is completely irrelevant for reissues which are made by HasTak. But I can understand the desire for original authenticity (as opposed to authentic replicas).

It's just more money down the drain, usually, for a figure probably in worse condition, or at least older and more brittle from age.

Yeah but it's their money and if they want to waste it on old G1 toys, then that's their choice. I personally don't agree with it... I'd rather get a cheaper reissue that I know will be MISB rather than shell out for an aged G1 toy. But these are our personal standards and other people have theirs.

Dude, you totally nailed it. Every last word. I am in your camp: I want the toy, like the minty freshness, and don't care about the collectibility of the original over the reissue. In fact, I have an original G1 Sideswipe I got for cheap that I plan on jettisoning as soon as I can afford to pick up the KB reissue from a few years back. As long as there are no significant changes, i.e. irreversible safety markings like Megatrons now get when importing to the US, not i.e. removing the springs in the launchers on the TRU reissues, then I prefer the newest, most perfect-condition version I can find.

That being said, I love this Predaking reissue. The gold markings and use of die-cast make a decent case for re-reissuing this guy. The only gripe I have with this and other reissues is the price point. If this was a new toy, it would be $50-75 tops. Given that all the reissues have come at a higher point, though, I'm guessing financial factors like limited production and a smaller consumer base play a part in inflating the price.

Archived