Hasbro Responds to Spastic Character

Peter_Van

You may or may not have heard of the semi-uproar last week when it was revealed that the leader of the Power Core Combiners Stunticon team has been named Spastic. In a case of English words meaning different things in different regions of the World, according to Wikipedia, in the UK, "spastic" is used to describe an individual with the birth defect cerebral palsy. The word is meant to describe a hyperactive individual in the United States. Read more. Read the Full News Story Here

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You don't like the name so we won't sell it here. NYAAAAH! :P"

That's the right way to keep consumers in the UK happy :roll

There's been plenty of faux-paux product naming in this world. Like the Chevrolet Nova. It didn't sell in Brazil, because in Brazil Va=Go... No Va = No Go. You think they'd research product naming intended for international markets more... :shrug

Seems Hasbro is playing the percentages. Sales of products vs. monies paid out on lawsuits brought on by butt hurt consumers over a poorly named item.

Can't say I blame them but I can say "Do a little research guys, K?"

Like the Chevrolet Nova. It didn't sell in Brazil, because in Brazil Va=Go... No Va = No Go.

this is one of the stupidest Urban Legends there is. the word Nova is the same in Spanish as it is in English (in reference to the normal version of the Urban Legend). as for Brazil, nova still means nova in Portuguese as well.

the thought process that they would break a word that is actually in their language down into two separate words is the equivalent of saying you dont want to go ALTOGETHER cause you think that someone named AL wants TO GET HER. or that when you go to see the therapist, you are really going to see the rapist...

Heh, I'm not so concerned about the name drama, as I am for the toy. I like the colors. But the name drama adds some extra appeal to it.

Like the Chevrolet Nova. It didn't sell in Brazil, because in Brazil Va=Go... No Va = No Go.

this is one of the stupidest Urban Legends there is. the word Nova is the same in Spanish as it is in English (in reference to the normal version of the Urban Legend). as for Brazil, nova still means nova in Portuguese as well.

the thought process that they would break a word that is actually in their language down into two separate words is the equivalent of saying you dont want to go ALTOGETHER cause you think that someone named AL wants TO GET HER. or that when you go to see the therapist, you are really going to see the rapist...

Sorry you feel that way. If you'd like bibliographical references, I can provide those.

What the article fails to mention is that 'spastic' has highly offensive connotations here in the UK & for a long time was used as a term of abuse. My brother is mentally handicapped so I'm well aware of the words meaning here... a chain of charity stores changed their name from the Spastics Society as the word was so tainted in the eighties & nineties. On the flipside no one here had a problem with Slag. *lol* Some of my best memories involve a Slag.

Sorry you feel that way. If you'd like bibliographical references, I can provide those.

you are gonna provide proof that nova doesnt translate into spanish or portuguese? or are you going to provide proof that spanish speaking individuals dont know the difference between "no va" and "nova" (ya know, being that they would be pronounced different)? or perhaps you would like to dispute GM's sales figures that shows the NOVA sold better than expected in most of the spanish speaking countries it was released in? maybe you could provide evidence as to why the Mexican government owned oil monopoly sells gasoline under the name "Nova" if it implies that their gas wont make the cars go?

a 10 second google search will give you so much information to debunk this urban legend it will make your head spin. if you want to keep on believing it, thats up to you.

you are gonna provide proof that nova doesnt translate into spanish or portuguese? or are you going to provide proof that spanish speaking individuals dont know the difference between "no va" and "nova" (ya know, being that they would be pronounced different)? or perhaps you would like to dispute GM's sales figures that shows the NOVA sold better than expected in most of the spanish speaking countries it was released in? maybe you could provide evidence as to why the Mexican government owned oil monopoly sells gasoline under the name "Nova" if it implies that their gas wont make the cars go?

a 10 second google search will give you so much information to debunk this urban legend it will make your head spin. if you want to keep on believing it, thats up to you.

I think it was on snopes originally but my favorite part of the debunk of that myth was when someone said (It hink it's on snopes to mention who said it) that this would be the equivalent of someone selling a "notable dinette set" in the U.S. and it not selling well because consumers think that it "has no table."

Archived