Review: HFTD Sidearm Sideswipe Figure

Blitz-Wing

I like this one much better than the original. I wish he could have got some better feet,but at least he has some now.

I love the guns. I bought 2 of this guy...but I have other plans for him....I hope this transformation makes it into the new TF3 movie. I didn't like the blades. Now a HA of this tranformation would be almost as awesome as the HA Jazz.

• 1 month later...

I recently snapped this little fellow up, and the potential for true GREATNESS is there.

The good: the detailing is magnificent. MAGNIFICENT. Forget the intial DLX mold, Sidearm Swiper's new mold blows away his HA mold. There are leader class figures from the Bayverse that are not this detailed. The guns are actually a nice touch, and well sculpted. Overall, the figure seems to be very well thought out, and with his redesigned feet, he is actually very stable. On sheer aesthetics alone, he is a 9.5 at worst, and his transformation sequence is very, very clever. Forget the import version: this fellow looks like he would be tremendous fun for me to whip out the paint and hook him the fuck up. Lots of little details just BEGGING for judicious applications of silver, steel and the Bayverse standard of gold/brass/copper.

As for the bad: Sidearm Swiper's alt-mode is far too seam-tastic, the red paint apps are garish and I wish he had a neck. I mean, really.

And the ugly: He's got even LESS leg articulation than the initial DLX mold..! A below-average poser. Which I normally would not care about at DLX scale, but the DLX figures have been setting a ridiculously high standard as of late, so this counts even more against this mold. What hurts the leg issues even more are the fact that they are loose. I don't know if this a problem that just my figure has, or if it is a common issue with this mold.

As it is, though, I LOVE this mold, even with its shortcomings, and eagerly await the inevitable Sidearm Sideswipe retool where he gains back his...blades...

...oooo...Heaven is truly a place on Earth.

The legs on mine have been fine. Some more knee articulation would have been nice. I hope they make a HA of this transformation I might pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got mine today...I was really concerned about the mixed reviews. I was spoiled getting Battle Blades Bee so I didn't want to feel cheeted with Sidearm.

Aside from the red paint and lack of blades...When you compare the actual CGI model with the toy SideArm is point for point a dead on exact model of the film version. It is such a beautiful toy. But like all things innovative and cool this toy is not with out it's draw backs.

Really check out Matt Booker mods: http://mattbooker.info/2010/09/29/sidearm-sideswipe-head-fix-mod-part-1/ http://mattbooker.info/2010/09/30/sidearm-sideswipe-head-fix-mod-part-2/

I just got done with the Booker Mods and really this makes Sidearm SideSwipe so much better. Word to the wise...if you get this toy or already have this figure do the mods; it's literally a requirement for this figure. The first issue is that there should be no "crunching sound as you turn the back half of the figure to reveal the head. so the mod makes this transformation very smooth and prevents scratching the figure head. The second feature (the coolest part) is the head pops out after you press on the face of it...no more digging for the head.

• 3 months later...

I finally bought mine yesterday and he is so fucking awesome! I highly recommend him. The only con on mine is that, half-way through hiding his head, his head catches something and I feel like I'm going to break something...and then I complete the hiding of the head.

Archived