REVIEW; 2010 Seacons G1 Reissue V.S. '88 Original Seacon 5 figure set

anthonyprime

First off lets give HAS/TAK a hi-5 for actually going totally left field with this reissue, (with the Predaking reissue and the MP-09 this year as well) and if they did it to catch 10-80 thousand or so fans with their pants down and wallets out --they accomplished their mission and then it got my attention!!!

I did have to give my MIB Masterpiece Megatron and Loose but MINT Classics Silverstreak,

but it was worth to me for the sentimental value, mom got it for me X-mas 1988 , she died the year after so this review means something to me and I hope I dont bomb it!!-for her sake!!!

I did expect the TFCC recolor idea in this issue as well, since everything has been the "G2 Botcon reduex" and homage after homage , but in the case of the Seacons , it has been Beast Wars God Neptune, and then like I said earlier the TFCC purple/grey /puke colored set that just pissed me off(and alot of other Seacon fans as well Im sure) and influenced the watching for countless hours just to see if I could get a COMPLETE set for a decent price on ebay-YEAH RIGHT!

I have been totally EXCITED/floored with this issue and to be quite frank, IT IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!!!

I seen the big nice and shiny G1 commemorative box that cried OPEN ME NOW FLESHLING!!!!!

So I did and to my surprise I find that each bot(Piranacon as a whole) was tied with those nasty new wick ties , nasty but very functional-easy to snip!!!And there he sat in his brand new Hasbro bubble and present was the smell of brand-new-ness that filled my nose and made me wanna go and cut out a cardboard city right now!!!!!

FLASHBACK to 1988-

I have been nagging my mom to get me a set of the Seacons for X-mas and she did!!!

The box was huge!!!! :mwahaha I did have other things to open but I knew what was in the box and I wanted it open now dammit!!! :tflaugh

1988 Original issue Piranacon --

5 figures total

Commander Snaptrap

1 sword 1 rifle

Torso of Piranacon

I was going to detail where exactly each individual bot went, but this is a Scramble City/4 Targetmaster/Combiner that always lacked 1 more bot, and the later reissue has the missing bot.......Always - FU*KIN HASBRO!

Each of the following bots have individual stands for Targetmaster mode- :con

Seawing

2 Photon hand guns

Skalor

2 stun hand guns

Overbite

1 plasma hand gun

Tentakil

2 plasma hand guns

1 Sticker sheet with 1 red decoder for the "stats" on the back.....

2 pink/purple feet,

2 black hands,

1 purple sword

1 Head

1 Chest plate w/chrome wings

The Seacons set of 1988 sucks, it is missing the last Targetmaster, it has half the chrome,and the packaging of the new reissue has the best artwork, PERIOD!!

This is the only Transformer ever made that is a Scramble city type combiner and had Targetnasters for each limb at the same time, pure genius at this point in time of the TF's .

Still the one with this double gimmick under its belt

FAST-FORWARD TO 2010

NOW-- The 2010 Seacon reissue........

I should start this with a quick brief that this Seacon set of 2010 has many new features that the 1988 version did not(and I will have to do my homework, but I think the Japanese version had the other variables to be complete as well in the 80's) such as Nautilator , chromed sword , green head on Snaptrap, and trading cards for all 7 various figures that now complete this set.

All figures are included from the 80's version and now the American public have the chance to obtain the complete Scramble City version of this set, and the sword has been chromed instead of the light purple plastic that we got in the 80's set.

I for one DO NOT LIKE the green head on Snaptrap, but the same goes for the the pink/magenta plastic that was used, really -really pink,

BUT- the colors now have more of an "HD" look to them, the turquoise is still turquoise and all of the good-ness of the underwater feel is still there, that was my favorite part of this set, out of all the combiners in the G1 series, Piranacon could fall apart and still come back with his leg as his rifle and his rifle turns into his arm etc..

I am not very proud to say the only thing that sucks about this fig is the articulation (and the sloppy sticker placement on mine) , it is the sickness of all G1 Transformers - but hey it is the dawn of an age right???

A very high recommendation to purchase this set if you are a collector of the G1 combiners, Seacons and as well if you did not pick it up in the 80's, or if you wanted the set but could just not afford the vintage price, Hasbro has finally answered your prayer as well as mine too.

I am proud to say that I give this NEW rendition of G1 Piranacon an A+, 10/10.

It is well worth the money, especially if you are looking for a set that fits the budget! :D

This is my first review so be nice . I will get better as time goes on I am sure

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review AP :tfgrin

Yeah the stickers on mine are a little sloppy. They looked like the person was rushing to get them on. I wish they would've just put in a sticker sheet for me to do it :yay I love that shit !!!

Mine was missing the Piranacon card in the front of the package, but BBTS has one on the way for me right now

Oh and what are you doing up that late ??? :beer

Thanks for the review AP :tfgrin

Yeah the stickers on mine are a little sloppy. They looked like the person was rushing to get them on. I wish they would've just put in a sticker sheet for me to do it :yay I love that shit !!!

Mine was missing the Piranacon card in the front of the package, but BBTS has one on the way for me right now

Oh and what are you doing up that late ??? :beer

GOOD deal!!! BBTS should be ready at all times to send my guy his COMPLETE set!! !!

And yeah, since I have had this Carpal Tunnel surgery the Vicodin has me doing late nights but helps me sleep good when I do!!!

So here's to a new hand and late nights !!!!!

I too would have liked to apply the stickers myself, but what can you do when Hasbro has to present the toy in such a package? (Honestly, considering that this was an online only toy, who's going to care but MISB collectors? Would it kill Hasbro to use G1-style packaging like Takomy?)

This set of Seacons is nice, although it does feel a little cheap; I imagine that it's how the KO reissues are like. I got the TFCC set before this, whose only crime was costing too much and not coming with stickers (fixed by Reprolabels). It is of better quality than this one.

I've kept mine in the box. WHich is really surprising for me cause i usually tear shit open to get at what's inside but with the mixed reviews on Piranacon i don't want to be dissapointed.

Plus i think he looks magnificent in his box which is another reason i've been keeping him entombed.

This is the first positive thing i've heard about this set. Everybody dislikes this reissue it seems and is deeming it unworthy.

Hell....i haven't even fully opened my FP Bruticus set. Pulled out Munitioner and Explorer and posed them with the guns but that's about it. I like these guys as stand alone figures so much i haven't attempted the combination,

My ROTF Bruticus Maximus set remains unopened aswell....

Hold on I thought that the 88 Seacons had six figures: 1 for the Torso 4 for the limbs and 1 for the hand weapon.

:agree

It's God Neptune that doesn't come with one of the smaller Seacons.

I had the 88 issue for Xmas and here-- http://forums.TFormers.com/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-19779-031728900%201284672133.jpg

you can clearly see that I have the entire set COMPLETE in the picture and there are only 5 robots total, Snaptrap, Nautalator, tentakil, skalor and over bite, Beast Wars may have been short one con but the '88 set is for sure.

Does anyone remember the $10,000 AFA 80 Piranacon on ebay I posted?????

Here is the link--- http://cgi.ebay.com/AFA-Graded-80-G1-Transformers-Seacons-Piranacon-Giftset-/290399929698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439d2f4562 only five total .

Hold on I thought that the 88 Seacons had six figures: 1 for the Torso 4 for the limbs and 1 for the hand weapon.

I had the 88 issue for Xmas and here-- http://forums.TFormers.com/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-19779-031728900%201284672133.jpg

you can clearly see that I have the entire set COMPLETE in the picture and there are only 5 robots total, Snaptrap, Nautalator, tentakil, skalor and over bite, Beast Wars may have been short one con but the '88 set is for sure.

Here is the link--- http://cgi.ebay.com/AFA-Graded-80-G1-Transformers-Seacons-Piranacon-Giftset-/290399929698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439d2f4562 only five total .

I see your point, but has any of you ever read this book:

transformers.jpg

If anyone has, there's a Seacon's page that shows this figure with 6 robot's. When I find mine, I'll show you.

I see your point, but has any of you ever read this book:

transformers.jpg

If anyone has, there's a Seacon's page that shows this figure with 6 robot's. When I find mine, I'll show you.

Yep, that's where I got my information.

Archived