The IDW Collection Volume Two HC

ladywreck

IDW will be putting out their second Generation 1 comic collection this month, IDW Collection Volume Two! I've preordered mine from Amazon and it reports that the hardback volume will be available September 21st. But I suspect local comic shops will have this volume before books sites like Amazon do. So check it out or ask questions next time you walk into your local comic shop or at the reading of this message preorder it.

The volume will include the following series: Stormbringer and Escalation, as well as Spotlights: Sixshot, Ultra Magnus, Kup, and Soundwave. The first volume had a nice ribbon marker. Definitely a well done collection for any Transformer fan! (Cover art is by E.J. Su)

IDWcollectionvol2cov.jpg

I was looking for the Wreckers TPB b/c I could not find it ANYWHERE in my area. I could only find it on Amazon.com. While there I saw this and Vol 1. I ordered both of them b/c you had such great things to say about them! Thx Amiee!!!

Well, I can't hide that these volumes are really nice. Supposedly a few years ago they had some other collections that were bigger and more costly. And they didn't sell as well. But these have been selling better. I have to honestly say, I'm buying both of mine from Amazon because of the nice discount they have for their preorders. It's like $30.00! (with free shipping on orders over $25, so it's an instant free ship.)

The great thing, at least as far as I've been able to gather from everywhere that I've read including the IDW boards is that they have a 3rd volume in the works because the sales have been satisfactory. So as long as they keep selling we may get the whole collection of Generation 1 comics to the end of All Hail Megatron! And that is what I'd like to see! (I want the complete set!!)

If you think about it... each TPB costs (at least on Amazon) about $14 roughly. So far the first volume came with two TPB and 6 Spotlights. So if the spotlights were traded into one book that'd be 3 TPB combined into one volume for $30 on Amazon if you pre-ordered it. If you got them individually on Amazon you'd pay a little bit more than $40. And the covers would be paper not hard cover. Which is still nice, but it just depends on personal preference on what you'd rather have, paper or hard back? (I'd like mine in the hard back if I could get it.) I've sort of shopped around to see if I could get a better price, and so far Amazon has had the best price but you will have to wait later to get it. So the first volume is extremely reasonable to me.

The 2nd is coming with 2 TPB and 4 spotlights. I can't tell off the top of my head whether or not the 4 spotlights in this volume were traded like that, but roughly speaking you are getting 2 less spotlights than the first ... but it's still a good deal. If you went out and found the exact spotlights and trades that will be in this volume you'll still be roughly more than $40 again.

The difference is the hard back option. And again, personal preference. Do you want to spend a little more and get trades, or pay a little less and get a hard back volume?

If you are the type of person that wants to take your trade with you to school/work/travel to read and enjoy as you decide, the trades might be more favorable. But you'll still have to watch how you treat them if you don't want your edges bumped or covers bent. If you decide to take the hard cover with you to school/work/travel I don't imagine that it'd be hard to do either because they aren't that heavy or bulky. Or maybe it's the space you have to fit them in? Or you just want everything uniform? These volumes aren't full books, they literally are just a little taller and deeper than a trade, still have the compact size, yet in a hardback form. So they still store nicely next to your TPBs. (They measure 11.25 X 7.25 inches)

Also, if anyone is interested this is the site I get my comics and trades when I want them as soon as they come out: (This is a US location. I'm not sure the best source outside of the US, if someone on the boards has a suggestion, jump in...)

Things From Another World

I also get stuff at a local comic shop too, showing my support for the small chains as well. But not everyone has that option. The above site is virtual and I've really been impressed with their packing methods. Plus they have a live chat service as well. And they answer emails in a timely manner.j

(LOL! In fact I'm the first person to post a short review of LSOTW on that site before it was released. Too bad they edited out the address to the Underbase on it. doh!)

Archived