Cybertron Minibots

Fenrir72

Henkei Minibots

Content per pack

#3 'bots

#3 biocards

#1 instruction sheet

(Pics on the way)

Just picked up all #6. So what's the complaint? Well some mix up between the Spy team and Attack team. In their bios, Beachcomber is more of a pacifist as portrayed in the "Golden Lagoon" G1 show while Warpath is more like Gong personality.

Well the teams are divided into:

Spy-team:

Wheelie,Adams,Warpath

Attack team:

Gong, Cliffjumper, Beachcomber

I'll begin with the Spy Team:

1. Wheelie has been upgraded into another concept car that transforms into a"near"accurate G1 robot representation of himself. For his size he has 8 points of articulation and goes well with MP Grimlock.

He is highly detailed from his blue optics down to his energon "slingshot". But Takara kind off dropped the ball by going for the lighter yellow color instead of the G1 orange.

I give him a 4 out 5 (for loosing the color)

2. Adams (Cosmos) another great upgrade.......sort of. He still transform into a UFO disc like vehicle but this time he's got a rear fin. Colorwise, almost like the Universe version except instead of blue markings along his circumference, it is silver. He has this cybertronian markings around his arm, his arm btw looks buff compared to the G1 version.

Positives, the original's head tend to collapse on himself while this one, it stays up. Very detailed down to the blue optics and his colors is a darker green than the original. He tends to be back heavy. Points of articulation 6.

I give him a 4.9 out of 5

3. Warpath: my personnal favorite. The tiny titan with tourrettes syndrome. An excellent representation of the character. If you can get a hold of the old Marvel comic # 16 - #17, Don Perlin drew him this way so for all sense and purposes this is his true cybertron mode.

Does he have gimmicks? Takara added a feature where you can retrack his gun barrel, which is very nice but he lost the 360 ability to point the weapon as opposed to his G1 counterpart.

I also like the red/maroon shiny plastic used on him, nicer than the G1 color. Points of articulation? 8 if you adjust his rear threads, he can also bend his arms at his elbows.

I give him a 5 out of 5

Now the attack team:

1. Beachcomber: an upgraded dune buggy with a machine gun on his back. Simple in transformation with an anime accurate face/mouth plate. He is a much lighter hue of blue when compared to the Universe version whose color is more G1 toyish. I noticed that my universe version is somewhat misshappened on the front so it transform a bit misaligned.

Details? same as the other two (for its size) and has 6 points of articulation

I give him a 4.8 out of 5

2. Gong/Brawn: a change in vehicle mode but still an SUV. Color is more of a military drab green as opposed to the Universe version. And his chest module is more yellow than orange. Fore arms too have been repainted into a more silverish color. Details? One complaint is like the Universe version, the face shouldn't have been black because it tends to obscure his face details. POA around 6. I give him a 4 out of 5.

3. Last but not the least, the paranoid 'bot with the big gun fetish who is probably overcompensating because of the shortness of his stature (a lot of short things do that I suppose)..................Cliff/Cliffjumper. Basically a mini me of henkei/universe Bumble B. A very simple transformation of the former and can stand side by side with the G1 original. POA is 6 and I noticed his back pack doesn't snap tight to the back groove making it a bit loose.

Of course, monetary considerations aside for Takara, re-using the Bumble B mold and then slapping the name Cliff on him, I'd have given him a 5 out of 5 if he had his own original head molding............so instead 4 out of 5.

A great effort by Takara/Hasbro though the henkei version wins hands down (with the exception of Wheelie) for the packaging.

Here are the comparison shots..........Henkei and G1:

Wheelie:

th_DSC03857.jpg

G1 and well............

th_DSC03856.jpg

With old Grimlock himself.....

th_DSC03853.jpg

Old short stuff himself with the gun fetish

th_DSC03852.jpg

Gong.........

th_DSC03854.jpg

Hippie boy Beachcomber

th_DSC03855.jpg

Cosmos

th_DSC03858.jpg

And loudmouth himself.........Baam, boom and zowie!

Cool! Its nice seeing them side by side with their G1 couterparts. Id like to see them next to their Universe doubles, especially since your mentioning the slight differences with some of them. I never saw these at retail (Henkei OR Universe) so i have not prchased any of them. :emo

I managed to get hold of Brawn, Bumblebee and Beachcomber from Hasbro, then I bought the two minibot sets from henkei and I gotta say Henkei's Brawn figure is a much nicer colour. And the fact that they made CJ instead of Bumblebee's cool too

Archived