Why I Won't Buy MP Grimlock

Blitz-Wing

$200 for MP Rodimus... ack. I had a hell of a time paying $100 for MP Megatron... and it ended up being a pile of crap in the end.

Exactly.

Twice I've had the chance to get Grimlock at $70 (much better then the import price) and even still just said no.

The point is in all that rambling, justify, excuse, justify, especialy on the higher end items, the prices just don't justify.

Look at cookwear that's made of the same stuff if not better that never jumps in price.

Look at in demand items like flatscreen TVs, and bluray players that make leaps in decreasing prices....

Then, Transformers, it just don't seem right.

Whats gonna happen is Has/Tak will burst their own bubble. Not due to a lack of intrest, but more so to a lack of people who can keep up.

$200 MP rodimus probably has $3 worth of plastic in it, so honestly and fully aware of busness prcatice, what else makes this thing worth a monthly car payment beyond fan exploitation?

Charge $50 for it and get rich off everyone instead of just the one!

Comic books fell to this in the 90s. instead of just putting out issues, they used holigrams and polybags and diecut covers to try and create a collectable.

People bought them, in multitude, I know I did till I got sick of seeing it and the mark up that came with it.

While Silver Surfer 50 was an awe inspiring treat, every issue that tried to copy was just, ugh...

I've actualy light campfires with copies of X-Force #1

It's the same type of thing. While I loved comics, the rape dollar marketing drove me away from them.

Those same practes after 15 of active collecting have me teettering the line on Transformers.

It was one thing paying a fortune for vintage, but the manufactured collectables, well, no.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This actually brings up a funny example of a liitle irony for me.....

I should stop buying TF's because i need new tires for my truck badly.......which translates too......Stop paying exorbitant amounts of money for plastic so i can pay exorbitant amounts for rubber!! whats the difference?

The Plastic will last longer?

Nah like I tell my wife, my son is already has his own Transformers, and he still wants mine. So I might as well give him the largest collection I can. So he doesn't have to start from scratch when he is older.

As Leige said, now that i think of it. I've never paid that kinda money for a new figure before accept for Unicron.

The larger sums of cash i sometimes dish out goes to vintage figures which is really the majority of my collection.

huge price tags on new figures/collectibles has always turned me off buying it.

The difference is rubber will save your life :alert

I understand that for cryin out loud!! i was jsut trying to make an ironic joke on plastic and rubber......jeesh. You know......being that plastic and rubber are the cheapest and most common manufacturing products in our society but certain items somehow cost infinitely more even though they are made of the same stuff. That was all i was gettin at....

So I was out casing stores today and managed to swing by a Toys R Us. Sitting on one of the TF shelves was a Masterpiece Grimlock figure. Instantly, I thought "Oh cool!"... until I saw the price tag. $69.99, it read. So far as I know, it might still be sitting there as I type this.

Maybe after 8yrs of being active in the TF universe I'm suffering burnout. However, I can't justify $70 for any figure at this point. The Leader class retool of Optimus is not on my buy list. Nor is the Cyber Ops BB. To be honest, if it's over $30 it's more than likely going to be passed up at this point. And even at $30 (yeah, I mean you Human Alliance figures) I'm going to think twice. Chances are, unless Hasbro pulls some wild idea out of the hat that is actually appealing, I might consider bowing out of the hobby altogether. There's no thrill in it anymore. Hasbro is either predictable or lazy at this point. Instead of wondering what it will take for them to come up with something original, I'm wondering if any more of my hard earned (and increasingly scarce) spare funds should be sent to them.

There is your mistake... You buy movie stuff... LOL

On a serious note... Every collector goes through this at some point... It gets tougher justifying the amount I spend on TF as I get older... But you dont want to leave the hobby... You just end up spending more when you do decide to pick up the hobby again and having to back track...

If I had known tru was going to be selling him at that price, I woulden't have spent the $130 dollars on the Takara tomy version.

Interesting, I spent 150 bucks for the Takara version. Sorry, but I can't feel sorry for anyone who finds the 70 dollar Hasbro version to "expensive". :doh

I was getting carried away with the movie stuff - and a part of me is very glad they botched up the toys after the last movie release - because it cured me of being a completist in it. In fact, I took back nearly $300 of toys i had still MISB of the movie Line. I have all the ones from the 1st movie, and a few leaders of the 2nd - and i'm done. I don't care HOW WELL the next movie is "OR" HOW WELL the toys are - i might get a prime/megatron (just to see the compare/contrast of the other 2) and call it done.

I think as you get older, "WHAT" you want to collect changes and after awhile you realize that sometimes LESS is better. I'd rather have a less 'cluttered' look and actually appreciate the ones I have.

I don't think it's a matter of if the toy is $30 or $200 - but look at the yearly budget. MP toys only come out 'maybe' 2x a year. At $125 average - that's about $250 a year. That's actually relatively cheap for a hobby. Would I rather have 2 MP's or (at $30 a pop) 8 lesser figures that will likely never raise in value as much??? I'd rather have the 1 or 2 higher end ones than the 8 or 9 cheaper ones.

But it's a hobby, and it should make you happy. That's the end result. If your TF obsessed and don't have a lot of other things in your life, it's very likely you won't be as happy. There is too much out there to be so obsessed with this.

If I had known tru was going to be selling him at that price, I woulden't have spent the $130 dollars on the Takara tomy version.

Interesting, I spent 150 bucks for the Takara version. Sorry, but I can't feel sorry for anyone who finds the 70 dollar Hasbro version to "expensive". :doh

I have 2 of the Takara versions, and I don't regret 1 penny of it. I got them on preorder when they first came out ($119.95 i think) I love the figures and I enjoy seeing them in both modes.

The difference is rubber will save your life :alert

I understand that for cryin out loud!! i was jsut trying to make an ironic joke on plastic and rubber......jeesh. You know......being that plastic and rubber are the cheapest and most common manufacturing products in our society but certain items somehow cost infinitely more even though they are made of the same stuff. That was all i was gettin at....

Sarcasm is so hard to read online

$70 is expensive... $150 is twice so

The MPs are good for 1 of each character, and thats only for the sake of the Seekers.

Otherwise 1 of each mold is enough same as any other line, and the import prices have completely bounced Takara out of consideration on them.

I was gonna spring for MP Grimlock right off the bat, but Hasbro announced right away they'd be bringing the figure over.

It just seemed to make sense to wait and save. It's just good sense on anything.

I see the $70 price mark on MP Grimlock as a discount already in comparisson. However for the past 4 months TRU has been running good sales at least once a month.

It's just good fiscal sense to wait. You know, penny saved, penny earned and all...

Still, theres no way I'm paying $200 for Rodimus, $180 for Predaking, or $135 for Unicron or however much Primus is going for.

It's like BW is saying, at some point you have to draw a line. And like Sgt_York is saying, you have to find what works for you as you refine your tastes.

For me, that tends to be new molds between Scout through Leader because I like new mold figures. Ever selective on repaints, little tolerance for the sideline stuff.

Very simple I keep what I want and sell the rest, but I let the merits of the figure dictate what I keep, not the line. Gave up on being a completionist years ago, but thats a whole other can of worms.

Archived