Why I Won't Buy MP Grimlock

Blitz-Wing

So I was out casing stores today and managed to swing by a Toys R Us. Sitting on one of the TF shelves was a Masterpiece Grimlock figure. Instantly, I thought "Oh cool!"... until I saw the price tag. $69.99, it read. So far as I know, it might still be sitting there as I type this.

Maybe after 8yrs of being active in the TF universe I'm suffering burnout. However, I can't justify $70 for any figure at this point. The Leader class retool of Optimus is not on my buy list. Nor is the Cyber Ops BB. To be honest, if it's over $30 it's more than likely going to be passed up at this point. And even at $30 (yeah, I mean you Human Alliance figures) I'm going to think twice. Chances are, unless Hasbro pulls some wild idea out of the hat that is actually appealing, I might consider bowing out of the hobby altogether. There's no thrill in it anymore. Hasbro is either predictable or lazy at this point. Instead of wondering what it will take for them to come up with something original, I'm wondering if any more of my hard earned (and increasingly scarce) spare funds should be sent to them.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with you on the burn out and the scarcity of funds. I will however pick up pieces that gain my interest, MP Grimlock being one of those. I don't collect every figure that comes out as it is and am choosy on which chunks go into my collection(s) and that saves me heaps of cash in the long term and in several instances, the short term too.

I'm in the process of narrowing down which figures get collected and which don't as well as weeding out the stuff that does not get any shelf time. My Alternators and TFA stuff is possibly being put out to pasture so I can be more focused on what deserves collecting and funds expenditures. I have noticed that the hunt is sometimes more fun that the gathering from time to time, as odd as that sounds.

I personally am at a bit of a peak at the moment. Going a little overboard actually for my liking. Spending money that i do have to spend but shouldn't on TF's when i do have more pressing concerns for my money.

At least i'm VERY picky as to what i buy though. The figures i do buy are figures i REALLY like. I find it very easy to pass on a lot of TF's out there cause for me they are either too pricey or don't really tickle my fancy.

As for MP Grimlock.......it was easy to pass at 150 plus dollars but at 70 bucks.....i couldn't pass. Being he is one of the few TFs' i had as a kid and will always be a favorite. It's a nostalgia thing and i find it hard to put a price on that. I've spent more

on figures unfortunately.....but i should reel in the spending a bit.

With me it's an issue of space, with money a close second. It's not even about a lack of money. I just find myself thinking about what other things I could buy with that money.

I have bought all of Hasbro releases of MP Transformers, except for cartoon colors Prime, but I don't think I should buy MP Grimlock. It's nice to support MP Transformers in the US market, but there is nothing about Grimlock that makes me want to buy one. I already have Tomy's MP Grimlock and I have a crown in the accessory set from iGear, so why should I buy Hasbro's Grimlock? It's only different from the Japanese Grimlok in negative ways. No new colors, no special accessories, nothing.

I tend to scrutinize the higher end ones before I buy any. Battle Ops Bumblebee wont be bough because I already have an Ultimate Bumblebee from the first movie. And I am still suffering from Bumblebee burnout. I bought the Buster Optimus Prime. Which is the last one of what I call Higher End buys. Money isn't really an issue but I do think of how many scouts or deluxes I can buy instead

So I was out casing stores today and managed to swing by a Toys R Us. Sitting on one of the TF shelves was a Masterpiece Grimlock figure. Instantly, I thought "Oh cool!"... until I saw the price tag. $69.99, it read. So far as I know, it might still be sitting there as I type this.

Maybe after 8yrs of being active in the TF universe I'm suffering burnout. However, I can't justify $70 for any figure at this point. The Leader class retool of Optimus is not on my buy list. Nor is the Cyber Ops BB. To be honest, if it's over $30 it's more than likely going to be passed up at this point. And even at $30 (yeah, I mean you Human Alliance figures) I'm going to think twice. Chances are, unless Hasbro pulls some wild idea out of the hat that is actually appealing, I might consider bowing out of the hobby altogether. There's no thrill in it anymore. Hasbro is either predictable or lazy at this point. Instead of wondering what it will take for them to come up with something original, I'm wondering if any more of my hard earned (and increasingly scarce) spare funds should be sent to them.

HAHA...

After everyone jumping down my throat when I said $200 is way to much for MP Rodimus (not to mention all the other times this has come up) this here is a pleasure to read.

Here's the thing, sure we pay for the name and that right there makes any TF on average cost more then the regular figure.

They're popular and in demand, no suprize.

However I have to agree there needs to be a line.

Call it whatever, oh the development, the materials, the cost of plastic...

-That last one is my favorite, PLASTIC ISN"T GOLD! If it was there wouldn't be $5 20gallon tubs and 30 gallon garbage cans all made out of the stuff just outside the toy isle at Walmart.

The fact of the matter is, the cost is on us. As Transformers have grown in popularity there has been a noticable rise in cost and just as noticeable decrease in quality.

While alot of that can be put on Has/Tak alot of it has to also be put on us and our "gotta have it now, I'll pay anything attitude"

If your in dount about this, just look at the $709-$100 Arcees out there. Without the name those would be $10 in Big Lots right now.

I'm not saying stop collecting. I am saying though it can't hurt to be a better consumer. In the past couple years I pretty much stopped importing items, and looking at the price spikes recently, I'm not changing that decision any time soon.

As for regular retail, all subline reinvented figures like Legends, Activators, and FABs have been cut out not to muntion the far from Supreme class.

Alot of this does come from the frame of refrence after collecting for solong, but even more of it comes from just generaly valuing my dollar.

It's just plastic, even with the name, I can't justify the cost on alot of this anymore even though I want it. I hope Has/Tak recieves that part of this message.

$200 for MP Rodimus... ack. I had a hell of a time paying $100 for MP Megatron... and it ended up being a pile of crap in the end.

HAHA...

After everyone jumping down my throat when I said $200 is way to much for MP Rodimus (not to mention all the other times this has come up) this here is a pleasure to read.

Here's the thing, sure we pay for the name and that right there makes any TF on average cost more then the regular figure.

They're popular and in demand, no suprize.

However I have to agree there needs to be a line.

Call it whatever, oh the development, the materials, the cost of plastic...

-That last one is my favorite, PLASTIC ISN"T GOLD! If it was there wouldn't be $5 20gallon tubs and 30 gallon garbage cans all made out of the stuff just outside the toy isle at Walmart.

The fact of the matter is, the cost is on us. As Transformers have grown in popularity there has been a noticable rise in cost and just as noticeable decrease in quality.

While alot of that can be put on Has/Tak alot of it has to also be put on us and our "gotta have it now, I'll pay anything attitude"

If your in dount about this, just look at the $709-$100 Arcees out there. Without the name those would be $10 in Big Lots right now.

I'm not saying stop collecting. I am saying though it can't hurt to be a better consumer. In the past couple years I pretty much stopped importing items, and looking at the price spikes recently, I'm not changing that decision any time soon.

As for regular retail, all subline reinvented figures like Legends, Activators, and FABs have been cut out not to muntion the far from Supreme class.

Alot of this does come from the frame of refrence after collecting for solong, but even more of it comes from just generaly valuing my dollar.

It's just plastic, even with the name, I can't justify the cost on alot of this anymore even though I want it. I hope Has/Tak recieves that part of this message.

This actually brings up a funny example of a liitle irony for me.....

I should stop buying TF's because i need new tires for my truck badly.......which translates too......Stop paying exorbitant amounts of money for plastic so i can pay exorbitant amounts for rubber!! whats the difference?

Archived